What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Leftover Swedish meatball dinner. There was fresh fruit for dessert.

24 Likes

Same. Although ideally I’d like to grind my own chuck steak for a more coarse texture.

2 Likes

Corn Chowder with Cod - cod, fresh corn, bacon, red pepper, onion, garlic, thyme cooked in vegetable broth and milk

18 Likes

It’s been awhile. I had family visiting and two days and after they left I came down with something, cold? Covid? I’ll never know for sure. Checked with family and they were fine. Lots of tea and toast, soups.
I had a 6# chicken in the freezer, because family, and somehow never got around to cooking it, so it’s wfd. Seasoned it with Peruvian style seasoning and roasted it in the grill over chicken broth, carrot, onion, celery and garlic for gravy. Served with garlic mash and mixed greens salad with avocado, sun sugar cherry tomatoes from the garden, red onion, blue cheese and ranch dressing. There was wine. The chicken is humungus, even half of a breast was more than I could eat. Tons of leftovers.

25 Likes

Yes, farmers market and a couple of local small places. I doubt it travels outside Maine. Available for maybe 2 months and just like local asparagus or sugar snap peas, precious for that reason.

2 Likes

Soondubu jjigae using BCD kit, added shiitake mushrooms, bacon, onion, garlic, and kimchi. Topped with a raw egg, a scallion, and a Kraft single. And rice.

16 Likes

Eggplant parm, and this salad that I’m working on, which is now: horseradish leaves and sorrel with tarragon ranch and chopped egg. I think I got it this time!

IMG_1049

IMG_1052

19 Likes

Do you use a particular recipe for those meatballs? My spouse would go cray cray with joy if I made those. He grabs a bag every time we are anywhere near IKEA

2 Likes

Lol. Here’s the recipe - supposedly directly from Ikea.

My husband loves them, too. It’s one of his few special request dishes.

3 Likes

My gal pals gave me a gift card for my birthday (as is our beloved tradition) that my PIC and I used up at one of our favorite restaurants in town to belatedly celebrate our 24th (!) smoochaversary.

*Covid-themed decor? :joy:

We started off with a glass of S African Palomino for me, a Grillo for him.

I chose the “spicy” (but not) hamachi tartare with coconut milk, pineapple, toasted nori – a sizable portion that was a wonderfully refreshing, light start to our meal.

My PIC had the grilled halloumi with black mission figs, honey, and pistachio pesto. We both usually find halloumi to be pretty boring, but the chef made the dish sing with perfectly ripe figs, not too much honey, and that lovely pistachio pesto brought it all together.

Mains were duck breast with black mission fig tartlet, Tuscan kale, roasted fennel, and foie gras sauce pour moi, halibut with sweet corn, chorizo ragout and heirloom tomatoes pour lui.

While I had been looking forward to the duck all day I actually thought the halibut dish was the real winner of the evening – the chorizo had a nice kick to it, the halibut was perfectly seared and flaky, and the sweet corn and flavorful tomatoes added a great counterpoint to the salt & heat from the fish and sausage. The rosé we chose to go with both the halibut and duck was perfect: a lovely Barolo.

The duck was perfectly cooked, but the skin could’ve had a bit more crisp to it, I wasn’t a huge fan of the kale as the accompanying veg (I would’ve much preferred more of that scrumptious roasted fennel), but the foie sauce was really something.

I don’t know how we managed to finish all that food, but there was absolutely no room for one of the chef’s fab dessert creations. Instead, I opted for an apple brandy flight & my sweets for a Cocchi. The Cooper & Kings was my favorite, followed by the Calvados, then the Jersey plonk in last place :smiley: Verrrrry generous pours, too!

I was a little surprised that nobody acknowledged the occasion for our dinner, but we enjoyed ourselves tremendously.

We may just go back some night to finally try one of their desserts, as the chef is a trained patissier.

20 Likes

This sounds WONDERFUL, as does your entire meal! And Happy Smoochaversary to you both!

4 Likes

Last night’s (NFL) Halftime dinner was chicken, stuffing (stove top), carrots and gravy (envelope). I put the chicken in the slow cooker (earlier that day) and timed it so it would be done at Halftime. The stuffing, carrots and gravy were all prepared using my trusty microwave. After the game, I picked the balance of the meat off the bird.

19 Likes

Leftover rice = chorizo and egg fried rice for dinner.
I added fresh tomato/garlic/Kalamata olives/fried onions and hot pickled peppers.

22 Likes

Utterly delicious lamb tacos with a whipped feta and preserved lemon sauce under those huge mounds of meat at a local place where I met friends for dinner.

19 Likes

The last filet of Copper River sockeye salmon was dinner tonight. Cooked at 275° for about 18-20 minutes in my toaster oven, adding a glaze of char-siu sauce mixed with a spicy-sweet chili sauce for the last 10 minutes.

Served on a bed of quickly sauteed baby spinach seasoned with just s/p and with toasted Mediterranean pine nuts sprinkled on top.

Wine. And Happy Friday.

Gonna miss that salmon until next season.

21 Likes

@MunchkinRedux @tcamp You can tell both of your partners that my 8-year old LOVES IKEA meatballs. I (not someone well-versed in cooking meat) will attempt to make these soon.

4 Likes

Wagyu burgers on the Big Green Egg. Coleslaw.

Lettuce, pickles, red onion, cabbage, carrots and scallions from the garden.

20 Likes

My unsolicited tips would be:

1. cut the flour in the gravy back from 1/3 c. to 3.5 T., otherwise it comes out pretty thick.
  2. don’t skip the step of chilling the meatballs after they’ve been formed - it helps hold them together when pan frying.
6 Likes

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at Fiorentini Restaurant in Rutherford, NJ, including venison; honey nut squash cappelletti with soppressetta, sage, and gorgonzola; gnocchi with shrimp bisque and crispy shiitake; octopus with potato prosciutto croquette, spicy aioli, BBQ popcorn chicharron; black bass; wild boar tagliatelle. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

14 Likes

Orecchiette with mushroom ragu (button, shiitake, oyster mushrooms, red pepper, onion, garlic, baked savory tofu (no smoked tofu available today), baharat, parsley, almonds, mushroom broth and heavy cream)

18 Likes