What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

I suggest par-steaming (microwave) first. It better soaks up the marinade and also doesn’t dry out by the time the interior is tender. Speedier, too.

4 Likes

Cute couple!

2 Likes

I was wondering if I just didn’t use enough of the miso glaze, perhaps. Cooking time wasn’t much longer than 30 min, which I thought was reasonable. These were Chinese eggplants, so they were thinner and smaller than yer ole globe eggplant. I probably should’ve made sure to slather that shit on and get it into all the nooks and crannies :slight_smile:

But really, my main criticism was the one-note flavor of the glaze. Just not very interesting to me.

Try steaming them next time.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say not enough of the glaze. I like my eggplant a little saucier. This has been my go-to Chinese eggplant recipe and I feel free to fiddle around with the sauce ingredients based on what I have around the fridge. Including miso, chili paste, etc.

4 Likes

Like @ChristinaM suggested in the comment above yours?

I like the caramelization the flesh gets when you roast it.

I love garlic eggplant, and was looking at a recipe for it, but it was a bit too involved for a quick Monday dinner. Thanks for sharing your favorite!

1 Like

Thank you…

After steaming, run a crème brulee torch over the top, or pop it under the broiler for a minute.

1 Like

What other Ingredients were in your Miso Glaze?

Lol. I cut it that way so DH gets all the super fatty stuff, which he enjoys and I would rather not.

2 Likes

Garlic, mirin, sake.

I use the Recipe from Niki Nakayama.
The Method works great and the Glaze is tweakable of course.

2 Likes

Happy Belated, El!

2 Likes

Hmm. The glaze is basically identical to what I did (I forgot I added soy sauce as well, AND garlic), but I’m a little skeptical about the eggplant cooking through fully in just 10 min under the broiler vs. roasting at 425. I was pretty underwhelmed by the dish, so I likely won’t try it again any time soon. I’d rather try my hand at Japanese braised eggplant next :slight_smile:

This one works for me. Double the glaze of you need to (edited because I noted your other recipe had you roast first).

2 Likes

Steam then broil. I promise it won’t be dry. Can’t help with the marinade though :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe the dry roasting the eggplant gave it an extra crunch? I don’t roast veggies very often but I usually spritz them with a little oil of sorts before putting them in the oven and it seems to help.

Well, I’ll be trying it!

These were brushed with sesame oil, but maybe not enough?