What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

I like that recipe a lot, but after making it for the first time never added butter again. Really satisfying and low effort, for sure.

3 Likes

Yeah, I am not sure it needs the butter. But we wanted to try it more or less as written to start. We did sub hot cherry peppers and their brine for the pepperoncini. They mellowed out pretty well over the long cooking time.

2 Likes

A quick freezer/fridge clean out meal:

Rana cheese tortellini with sauteed broccoli florets with minced garlic and fried proscuitto, in a sauce of crushed tomatoes, President garlic and herbs cheese, and white wine. Parm-Reg sprinkled on top.

Wine.

Birthday weekend in Maine was fun. Birthday breakfast was scramblies with cheese and ham, English muffin with one of the 6 Bonne Maman spreads from the Advent calendar I brought up for my sister (this was mango, raspberry and lime…SO good!) and OJ. Cawfee was cawfeed earlier.

A sign I saw in an antique store while trying to buy something. SO TRUE! (Those little buggers!)

Birthday dinner with my sister and BIL at the Millbrook Tavern at the Bethel Inn and Resort was pretty good…braised short ribs with mashed and broccolini. Needed more seasoning, but still tender.

Dessert was an amazing light vanilla cheesecake with a blueberry sauce. Strong presence of vanilla, but not overwhelming. Only 1 glass of wine. :wink:

21 Likes

Steak and cheese panino. Let it come to room temp and slice as thinly as you can before layering with your favorite cheese and maybe some caramelized onions and press between 2 pieces of your favorite buttered firm bread, like a Tuscan Pane.

4 Likes

I usually add a whole jar of sliced banana peppers and pickled jalapeños along with the brine. Adds a nice tartness and kick.

2 Likes

WFD was a casa lingua standby: NYT Trini-Chinese chicken and my PIC’s stir-fried bok choy (which is technically also a NYT recipe, but he has it down to perfection :two_hearts:). Hadn’t had either since we left for Berlin, and it really hit the spot. So simple, yet so satisfying.

Movie night on the big screen again. Gonna make some popcorn, too :blush:

17 Likes

I’ve gotten some good recipes/ideas from Yeung Man. Those noodles look delish

1 Like

And do I see a matching blue stole draped over the back of the chair? She looks like a million bucks. Happy Anniversary!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Cooked the other piece of miso salmon (with better char).

Was going to pull stuffed parathas from the freezer, but then I figured the cooked broccoli in the freezer was likely on its last legs, so I pureed it with lots of pesto and had green spaghetti instead. Parathas maybe tomorrow

17 Likes

Shrimp and halibut cioppino. Garlic bread from homemade baguette.

Potatoes, onions, tomato, and parsley from the garden.

20 Likes

Columbus Day/Fleet Week appreciation meal.

San Francisco so vibrant this week. Watched alot of the Blue Angels practice and shows from our roof and hoofing along the Embarcadero. Fun just mingling with the crowds and sharing the excitement and buzz.

Boudin Truck from the Columbus Day parade. They’re tossing sample bread packets!!! Want some sourdough!!! Hell…yeah… Just a few (six).

Molinari Salami from up the street. Clam Chowder for that Fisherman’s Wharf feel.

Arugula Salad and EVOO/Balsamic to slather on sourdough and salad.

17 Likes

Thanks! It’s actually a fox stole :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We concluded the fabulous Mrs. P’s ‘sexty’ fifth birthday celebration with a sensational dinner at The Circle Restaurant including WHOLE ROASTED lobster, GUAJILLO COMPOUND BUTTER, GARLIC, ESCAROLE, FOCACCIA CROUTON; Tagliolini with BLACK AUSTRALIAN TRUFFLE, MUSHROOM BEURRE FONDUE, MADAGASCAR PEPPERCORN; SWEET POTATO gnocchi with HEN OF THE WOODS, SESAME, SZECHUAN PEPPERCORN; JERSEY ARTISAN BURRATA, MELON CHUTNEY, PROSCIUTTO DI PARMA, ARUGULA; Chocolate trifle for dessert. Please pardon the caps :slightly_smiling_face: I copy and pasted the menu descriptions. It all went great with an excellent Caymus cabernet and red blend.

19 Likes

Lovely dinner and lovely couple!

4 Likes

Wish I was there for the REAL sourdough!We used to watch the BA and their flybys from LHS in the Berzerkley hills. Amazing! Wasn’t fleet week in September in years past?

1 Like

Stifado - beef chuck braised with onion, garlic, plenty of pearl onions, tomato passata, red wine, red wine vinegar, sugar, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, walnuts, cranberries and feta. Served with orzo pasta

16 Likes

Thank you :blush:

Fleet week always coincided with Columbus Day, to the best of my recollection.

Town was humming. Columbus Day parade down his namesake ave. Salesian festival at St Peter & Paul’s. Ferrari wax and shine at Washington Square. Some kind of festivity in Chinatown with lion dancers and firecrackers, saw some vintage cars from an earlier event.

Beautiful Indian summer day walkabout.

Spotted this beautiful falcon(?) chilling by our house, leaving the skies to the Angels. Just realized that he is sitting in a stand of trees that is in the lower left corner of the above picture.

15 Likes

Happy Birthday weekend! I love Bonne Maman’s Advent calendars. When DH was working he traveled to Europe frequently and I collected those tiny jars with the red and white checkered lids from hotel breakfast buffets.

4 Likes

Happy birthday to you! Your birthday dinner looks fabulous.

2 Likes