What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Beef and potato at a conference :joy:

Also, squash soup topped with diced apple and pepitas.

Not sure why the waiter didn’t provide me with a roll or a dessert.

I’ve got 2 apples and some candy corn in my hotel room to supplement this meal.

14 Likes

10 Likes

That is a looker!

2 Likes

Polenta with manchego cheese, chorizo and shrimp, mixed greens salad, radish, orange mini bell, avocado, green onion. sherry vinegar & oo dressing. Manhattan and sangria.

26 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro, in Keyport, NJ, including duck and butternut squash tart; excellent fig, gorgonzola, and Benton bacon toast; blackened pork chop with spicy pulled pork jambalaya; crab meat stuffed swordfish; crispy boudin spring rolls; voodoo shrimp; Excellent German chocolate cake bread pudding to go. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

17 Likes

A nice, oil-roasted BC king salmon with a Meyer lemon sauce. Spinach and shallot gratin, and also a simple potato gratin.

Gratin, BTW, is the currant Dish of the Quarter here on Hungry Onion.

26 Likes

I’ve bought these before. Sometimes they’re a hit, sometimes a miss. I recommend preparing them any way other than baking in the oven. They’re habit forming, too.

2 Likes

Bit tragic…

2 Likes

Well, that’s not right!

2 Likes

So I was wondering…do you ever have a bad meal out on the town?

1 Like

It took them about 20 minutes to get me this boxed up. The staff had been informed one boxed meal was required in advance several times, and it still required another couple nudges once I arrived.

I wasn’t waiting any longer, or going back to ask about dessert. I finished the candy corn and 1 apple :joy:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I’m gonna miss ‘em.

Sorry .Posted on the wrong thread . Should have been . What are yo listening to . Delete .

Very rarely :slightly_smiling_face: We usually go to the same few restaurants each month, that know us, appreciate our business, and take good care of us. The ones that don’t are ‘one and done’ and don’t make it into our rotation.

6 Likes

One of our “neighborhood” Italian restaurants is La Stanza http://www.lastanzacucina.com/ in Menlo Park which we use from time to time for takeout but also enjoy for a nice, relaxing dinner at the restaurant. It’s nothing super fancy but at the same time it’s very well made dishes (a lot of the pasta is made in-house) at a reasonable price. Dishes like the ravioli carbonara aren’t authentic but quite addictive in their preparation.

Insalata Estiva - watermelon, cucumber and goat cheese salad in a lemon olive oil dressing with micro greens

Polpette della Mamma - Veal, pork and beef house made meatballs

Arancini di Riso - Crispy saffron risotto balls filled with mozzarella cheese, peas and bolognese served over tomato sauce

Maiale al Brandy - prime pork loin sautéed with porcini mushrooms, prosciutto di parma, mustard-brandy sauce, seasonal vegetables and roasted potatoes

Petto di Anatra al Melograno - Seared duck breast in a pomegranate sauce, seasonal vegetables and roasted potatoes

Ravioli alla Carbonara - Homemade ravioli with Italian pancetta, eggs, grana padano in a pecorino cheese, cream and black pepper sauce

Rosa di Mela - Hot apple tart, vanilla gelato

Chocolate Mousse

19 Likes

Thank you !

Our friends came over for dinner and I made Yo Po Mian (gift :link: - pappardelle with flashed scallions and cilantro) topped with ground pork. I double the sauce and add the garlic to it so it’s better distributed, as well as add a splash of sweetener (agave, in this case) for balance and a few good grinds of Sichuan peppercorn. I marinated the ground pork with cornstarch, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine and white pepper before stir-frying. Bok choy and spinach from my husband’s garden. Our friends brought a peanut butter cake with salted caramel icing from Snacking Cakes for dessert.

To start I made Sichuan-spiced peanuts and a cucumber-avocado sushi roll dip with Ritz. Lots of bubbly.

30 Likes

Those pappardelle look slappin, but I’m a bit confused by the “dip.”

At first I thought they were smacked cukes to go with the Sichuan theme. I’d hit that, too. Hard.

1 Like

Looks delectable, thanks so much for taking the time to write it up!! To me, this qualifies as a gratin, our dish of the quarter. Making soon, might use hot Italian sausage though.

2 Likes

Is your avocado cucumber sushi roll dip recipe similar to this, but without the surimi?https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/1570443-california-roll-dip