What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

DH makes the meatloaf glaze with ketchup and brown sugar…his recipe is large and makes 3 loaves. He free forms them and bakes them on a parchment lined baking sheet. We eat one for dinner with leftovers for sandwiches the next day and then we vacuum seal the other two for the freezer.

11 Likes

I’m taking a bit of artistic license here. Wfd today was bad takeout pizza. But only because we spent our time on other more important things than food. A fall colors hike up here in the most beautiful place ever. North cascade mountains. Enjoy!

26 Likes

What would “potatoes with sugar” consist of? Thanks!
(and I think you could make a lot of money with those wings-look great)

1 Like

Take out from the local Thai place, pad thai, rangoons, steamed delights (dumplings) and fresh basil rolls which are my favs. No pictures but we did enjoy it.

7 Likes

Potatoes cooked (nuked or boiled), mashed and sprinkled with sugar. Not my thing, but that’s how he likes them on occasion - here to help neutralize the heat of the wings.

If it’s me making them for him, I add a little butter and cream to that sugar.

4 Likes

First rabbit hole of my day
https://nordicfoodliving.com/danish-sugar-browned-potatoe/

I’ve enjoyed the restaurant versions of these

3 Likes

Great looking group of recipes - thanks for doing the leg work! I’m going to have to study each. I think they’d be received well here.

3 Likes

I posted a recipe for Mom’s pork & orzo stew a while back(I’ll try to find it) , but basically it’s the same method and technique. Simmer chicken(45 mis to 1 hour removing protein scum), sweat veggies, add paprika and cook out for a min, add tomato products and cook out, a pinch of dried oregano, add rice and coat with veggies and tomato, add stock from simmered chicken, spoon some of the broth onto the chicken pieces, add a bit more paprika and garlic salt to the chicken and bake for 20-30 mins until the rice is cooked to your liking.
What makes it so good? Using legs and thighs with bone in, making a stock and using it to cook the rice, cooking the onions and peppers until they get nice and brown-ish and cooking out the paprika and tomato paste to get rid of the “raw” flavor. Plus the memories of learning how to cook from Mom all play a vital part.

9 Likes

You and Sunshine both!! Sunshine wanted some cold meatloaf sandwiches for lunch, so that meant I needed to make a meatloaf for dinner. I rounded out last night’s dinner with mashed potatoes and peas.

18 Likes

Yes, that is my meatloaf sauce, as well (mostly). I do add in a little worcester sauce to the mix.

2 Likes

Dinner and a movie last night for BF and I at a Portuguese restaurant. The food was better than the movie! We shared fried calamari. He had chicken and shrimp in garlic sauce and I had an enormous char-broiled sirloin served with a nice crust on the outside and was perfectly medium inside. I ate about half and threw in the towel. I don’t believe in eating steak leftover but I took it home nonetheless. Anyone have any ideas for it? Delicious meal as always.

18 Likes

Just don’t reheat it, as it tastes funky when you do. I let my leftover steak come to room temp.

Have it with eggs for a hearty breakfast, on a sammich, or make Thai beef salad (my preferred use for leftover steak) - sirloin should be perfect for it.

What was the movie?

5 Likes

We slice leftover steak quite thin, pile onto bulky rolls with a slice of sharp provolone. Wrap in foil and bake for about 10 minutes at 350. We both like to put ketchup on after. We generally plan this meal when we cook steaks for the 2 of us and have it for supper the next night with some corn relish or bean salad.

6 Likes

I usually cut up leftover steak into small pieces and put it in a quesadilla - the cooking process heats the steak very gently so it doesnt get funky. You can also cube it and toss it into a pot if chili at the very end of the cooking process so it just warms through in the hot soup.

7 Likes

Cook up some peppers, onions and mushrooms, low and slow, slice the beef thin and add when veggies are ready, your favorite cheese on top of that, cover and melt it all up for about 2 minutes.
Slide the whole thing on top of good toasted bread…open face sandwich. Sauce and fries are optional.

6 Likes

The new Exorcist movie.

Oh, my. We finally watched Talk to Me last night and unfortunately, it wasn’t ‘all that’ either.

I’m a big horror guy, especially older horror. The original Exorcist is a masterpiece, and even Exorcist 3 has become one of my favorite movies. So I guess it was a slim chance I was going to enjoy anything new added to the franchise. I tried. I really tried. But it was awful.

Did see Talk to Me a few months back. Actually thought it was pretty good, one of the better horror movies bad recently (which I guess does not say that much).

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the ideas. This quesadilla sounds pretty good!

If you like horror and haven’t seen it yet, Z was one of the scarier flicks I’ve watched recently.