What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Made it home late last night.

Right back into it. Dinner tonight was pork sausages from the freezer (local farmer), air fried baked potato, yellow squash + red jalapeño, deck tomatoes with blue cheese dressing.

20 Likes

Mexican shrimp cocktail and fresh fried flour tortilla chips to accompany cocktails and final Season 14 of the old TV series DALLAS. A few episodes to go and I will be SO glad when it’s over with. Maybe a leftover cheeseburger later on.

16 Likes

Kind of a weird dinner. Jamaican-style spicy beef hand pie from the posh deli/butcher/bakery + crunchy vegs with blue cheese dip that I obviously started on while the hand pie was still in the oven. That hand pie is so good that when I see it I always get one for now and one for the freezer. The pastry is delicious and stains everything yellow - annatto I think but maybe turmeric? And the filling is shredded beef, potatoes and peas and very spicy.

23 Likes

What a cutie. Too bad he/she is so standoffish

4 Likes

You’ve got me drooling - all of it sounds delicous!

1 Like

Today the fabulous Mrs. P turned ‘sexty’ five :blush: Like a fine wine, she gets better with age :slightly_smiling_face: We celebrated with a feast at our favorite Sichuan restaurant, Chengdu 1 Palace. We have some more fancy dinners planned for this weekend. We enjoyed hot and spicy lobster and prawns, three pepper chicken, garlic eggplant, stir fry lamb, ants climbing a tree, and spicy baby wontons in chili oil. It all went great with an excellent zinfandel. There were plenty of leftovers for another dinner tomorrow night and possibly another night next week.

24 Likes

Thai green curry chicken and rice tonight.

I baked a tiny chocolate cake for myself this afternoon, had 2 slices for dessert.

20 Likes

Zucchini pizza with homemade basil pesto and three cheeses. Chopped garden salad with cukes, tomatoes, shallots, and bell peppers – the vinaigrette was spiked with Penzey’s Greek Seasoning.

Probably the last of either dish for the season. Fall is here and I’m outta cukes. :cry:

21 Likes

Cajun and Creole is our new COTQ! CAJUN AND CREOLE - Fall 2023 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

And Gratin clinched DOTQ: GRATIN - Fall 2023 (Oct-Dec) Dish of the Quarter

6 Likes

I don’t care how weird your dinners are.

As long as you keep using paper plates, you keep doing weird.

1 Like

Just looking at that spread requires omeprazole, Pepcid Complete and a swig or two of Mylanta later on. Happy #65 Mrs. P!

1 Like

Thanks! Well we did take Pepcid before the meal, and I have been drinking seltzer, and had a few ginger chews to settle my stomach :grinning:

6 Likes

Yesterday was pizza lunch at work. At the end of the meal I scored the last slice of pepperoni cheese pizza so I took it home for dinner last night. No picture since I inhaled it

Dinner tonight was spaghetti with marinara sauce. No veggies on the side since was I was hungry anf it was late.

14 Likes

I always forget we are birthday twins! I would love that dinner as well :wink:

Happy belated to Mrs. P!

2 Likes

A tragedy in ChristinaM house!

2 Likes

All my favorites, Happy Birthday.

1 Like

Happy birthday Mrs. P! You always go to fabulous restaurants.

1 Like

Happy birthday to Mrs. P.! Your dinner looks fantastic!

2 Likes

Sichuan jour fixe with my fellow chili heads, a hungry group of lucky 13 this time. The har gow the owner had promised to make … weren’t. They were bao type buns with a delicious pork & fermented vegetable filling. I’m not big on baos, and I had really been looking forward to har gow :pleading_face:

These were better than other bao I’ve had before, but sadly not an option for the 2 vegans and 1 pesca. Oh, well.

Thank goodness I ordered so many other things to snarf up, namely our reliable standards: garlic cukes, mapo tofu

dry fried green beans

garlic eggplant

chongqing chicken

salt baked shrimp

and a special of steamed fish over bean sprouts. Very mild and umami in flavor, no heat.

Everything was very good except for the beans & cukes. New chef, perhaps :woman_shrugging:

16 Likes

Drink with friends last night after one of my lectures.

Then went home and whipped up some chicken fried rice using an unused quart of white rice from Chinese takeout the night before. No better way to resurrect day-old rice. Small pieces of boneless skinless thighs marinated in light and dark soy, garlic, sesame oil, and some corn starch. Fried until crisp, removed, and in went onions, a half bag of frozen peas, blanched broccoli, more garlic, and the rice. I had bought a pack of “fried rice seasoning” because I was curious. It did not really help (only tasted/smelled ginger) but thankfully did not hurt either.

21 Likes