What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

I’ve had this recipe in my “make this, why don’t you” file for quite some time, and I finally pulled the trigger. It’s billed as “spicy bourbon shrimp,” although it is not spicy as written. And following the directions will absolutely result in grievously overcooked shrimp. I made adjustments.

Seen here with cream of cauliflower soup, which never fails. And is the perfect end to a “my city just fucking flooded, what the hell” day.

22 Likes

Beef chow mein, from Recipe Tin Eats, (as previously posted by @GretchenS). I cut the ground chuck and the noodles (spaghetti) back to 6 oz. each for convenience’s sake, and upped the amount of all veg, because we’re fond of them. Served with homemade chili crisp.

We both loved it BTW. Will make again.

Carrots, cabbage and scallions from the garden.

22 Likes

Hope you’re ok. What a nightmare!

Glad you liked it! Lucky you with the beansprouts - not available here.

1 Like

They are hit and miss here, too. I’ll sometimes grow my own on the window sill, but can never get them as nice as the store bought ones. I love them, and will buy them if given the opportunity.

1 Like

I haven’t posted a food picture over a week! There’s been a lot of repeats and one very nice dinner out when my phone was dead. Back at it tonight with something different: shrimp and vegetable stir fry over a bed of crispy pan-fried noodles. Everything I was looking for.

Bombay Martini with.

23 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

I’m sorry. ‘Drown’ yourself in your comfort food. It is needed.

1 Like

I bet! I’d need more cilantro.

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was my attempt at a “meatless” John Wayne Casserole (original recipe from Catherine’s Plates - youtube). I pre-soaked, cooked (slow cooker) and blended some pinto beans and used them (instead of hamburger) in this dish. It was actually pretty good. Both Sunshine and I enjoyed this meal. I did make the bean layer a little too thick, so I’ll need to cut back on the pinto beans for next time, but other than that… I’m calling this dinner a success!!

18 Likes

Thai inspired green curry with chicken breast, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, snap peas, onion, mushrooms, coconut milk, green curry paste, cilantro and cashews - served over jasmine rice

15 Likes

Thanks! We had flooding in the back hallway of our building, but all in all we fared better than a lot of people (poor Gowanus!). But is is nerve-wracking to watch the water getting deeper on the lawn.

3 Likes

I should make a list of foods I eat to calm down. On January 6th I made pizza and French fries.

12 Likes

I’m having company for dinner in a couple of weeks and was looking for a new salmon preparation to go with a pomegranate braised lamb shoulder. This looks like it would work wonderfully. Thank you for posting.

Met my youngest at a newish (to me) ramen spot. Rainy cool night and the place was busy!
I had tonkatsu shio ramen and a pork bun, he had the spicy miso ramen and the chicken karaage.
All good, the broths were very flavorful, most came either salt or soy based, depending on your preference. We brought leftovers home for lunch today.
I really liked the pork bun, the home made pickle was the highlight. He enjoyed the chicken, I thought it was a little flat.

17 Likes

I ordered way to many mushrooms for the recent holidays and ended up with some extra king oyster mushrooms. Since The Sprout and I made some watermelon kimchi that needed to be used up I decided to go Korean-esque with them. Grilled bulgogi marinated king oyster mushrooms. Served with zucchini and green onion yachaejeon/pancake, cucumber salad and the aforementioned kimchi. The mushrooms were delicious but the kimchi was a bit passed its prime. The best thing about this meal was it made me replace my used up Red Dragon Sauce with a new batch.

20 Likes

@LindaWhit I was going through my morning e-mail(s) and received a sale email from a Big 5 - Sporting Goods. They have this Butane Stove on sale for $19. This is similar to the one I use when the power goes out. Hoping you don’t go through another power outage, but this little stove comes in quite handy when such an event occurs.

11 Likes

I adore king oyster mushrooms. So flavorful & meaty!

1 Like

Came home from a trip Thursday morning. Dinner was my first ever attempt to microwave defrost a steak out of the freezer. Pan fried. Pretty good.

23 Likes

Yum

1 Like