What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Hottest day of the year so far, 33°c in the second week of September. A salad was called for, for dinner salad nicoise,.my favourite salad. Also Mrs PB had a poor one for lunch ( described as a monstrosity) during the week and wanted one to expunge it from her memory). I added capers , which is not usual but was a nice piquant addition. Had a glass of Chablis to go with.

27 Likes

Split a 24 oz. Snake River Farms rib eye steak, along with sauteed spinach with garlic and red chilies, and tater tots. Session IPA for him and Syrah for me!

28 Likes

“I can relate”!

1 Like

A visit to Wegmans after a much needed haircut means…Scallops!

Simply seasoned with some lemon peel powder and freshly ground pepper, and pan-seared in olive oil and butter.

Plated on leftover Basmati rice from last night that was tossed with sauteed spinach with salt and Aleppo pepper, and toasted Mediterranean pine nuts sprinkled on top.

Wine.

25 Likes

So glad that things are back to normal! :+1:

3 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro, in Keyport, NJ, including our usual favorites of an awesome Cajun seafood stuffed eggplant boat with panko breaded and fried eggplant with crawfish, crabmeat, Andouille and eggplant stuffing, sauteed shrimp and Cajun sherry cream; spicy Cajun shrimp; crispy boudin spring rolls; and fried green tomatoes. It all went great with an excellent Syrah and cabernet.

17 Likes

Now that is my kind of meal. The heck with the pork chop, monkfish and NY strip steak. Although I’m sure they’re all good. Appreciate you posting the menu.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Asian marinated flat iron steak, Yaki Udon, and Zucchini Tempura.

To drink: I had the strangest craving for a Kir Rotale (bought a single-serve bottle of Prosecco) so I sipped one while cooking. Gin martini with dinner. Happy Saturday.

26 Likes

Very much yum

4 Likes

Another round of ramen slaw salad although I forgot to add the minced Serrano and sorely regret it. Mom had some rotisserie chicken with hers. Served with TJ’s potstickers.

19 Likes

During our recent trip to Santa Cruz we were looking for one more dinner, beside our night at Mentone, and decided on Trestles https://trestlesrestaurant.com/ in Capitola. Even though it might not hit the same high notes of our visit to Mentone, it is still a very nice neighborhood restaurant with good dishes.

Crispy brussels sprout, jalapeño, cashew cream, black garlic sauce, pickled onions, togarashi

Beef tartare, toast, capers, egg, chives

Llano seco pork chop, brown butter yam puree, cipollini onions, quince mostarda, bacon jus

Butternut squash rigatoni, local chanterelles, arugula, preserved lemon, parmesan

Brownie, vanilla ice cream

18 Likes

And now I do :joy:
(There was a period when this was “my drink”)

3 Likes

That looks fantastic

1 Like

I did somehow resist, but I came very, very close :joy:

2 Likes

That sounds really good.

Another home game in town. Yay. We hosted our own (poker) at casa lingua - the first since early July!

My PIC made up for my losses, thankfully, and the Indian delivery hit the spot: mutter & saag paneer, lamb something (nice n spicy), shrimp something (creamy and a bit sweet, not really my cuppa), chicken biryani.

My local cooking group on Facebook is celebrating its one year potluck anniversary late afternoon/early evening today & I cannot wait to see what everyone’s bringing.

I’m making a puttanesca-ish pasta; my PIC is bringing a pitcher of that lovely & refreshing Criolla Sangria :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thank you!

Yesterday we had our annual Pool Party at our vacation place in Boulder Creek CA. Everyone brings something to grill & a side dish or app to share. Here’s my plate, our contribution was an ATK Israeli Couscous Salad & chicken wings done in the Instant Pot (5 min) then sauced & on the grill to caramelize a bit. Friends did steak, sausages, apple sauce from apples they grow & a gussied up 3 bean salad :yum: Lots of good wine, beer, soda & water.plus an afternoon of good conversation!

25 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a “crisper clean out”. Carrots, celery & cilantro joined two sweet potatoes and a couple of onions in these veggie rolls. I made up a yeast based dough for the wrap and sprinkled in some leftover shredded cheese right before baking. Some pickled beets on the side rounded out dinner. They were both tasty & filling and nothing went to waste!!

21 Likes

Crazy weekend in town, same town as Linda W water work woes. A micro burst came through Friday afternoon and took out a million trees and about 50% of the town’s power. Postponed the Armenian church’s cook out (great food) and the nearby Greek festival was shortened (really great food). It was a crazy 20 minutes of weather.

Oh and dinner tonight was great! DH has his kitchen back… spicy lamb curry, rice, pita bread, tzatziki and a bhel puri. (no rice on my plate)

26 Likes