What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

That totally stinks!!!

2 Likes

That was it. Much better my first visit than my second a few years later.

1 Like

Ai yi yi! Do the best to keep yourselves comfortable and safe and my thoughts are going out to you for a quick resolution soon (!) to your power woes. ‘Tangle Teaser’ makes a nice spray mist bottle, if you need such a tool. It is great for quilting, too.

1 Like

Neither did I. Only when my Thai buddy expressed her annoyance at the ‘misspelling’ did I change how I spelled it :wink:

1 Like

Oh, great idea! I suppose one can purchase it at the Asian grocer as well, which would be even more convenient :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cauliflower cheese for dinner tonight, using a slightly different recipe for the bechamel (COTM Keller)

There wasn’t enough cauliflower for all of us to eat just that for dinner (bec SOMEONE decided to use half of what I had cut yesterday without replenishing it…) so I took the last few seekh kababs in the freezer and supplemented our meal with kathi rolls.

I baked a little loaf of bread from the dough I’d been aging in the fridge to go with mom’s dinner.

21 Likes

I’m so sorry it’s taking so long. And to have to put up with meh food instead your own excellent cooking…insult to injury. Sending positive power thoughts your way! :electric_plug: :woman_mechanic: :zap: :bulb:

3 Likes

The issue is one of romanization rather than spelling.

Leela Punyaratabandhu has a nice (and funny, if clearly frustrated like the rest of us whose languages get romanized badly :sweat_smile:) explanation with her recipe.

(I didn’t know until I came across it that Thai has Sanskrit influence, but knowing that now, the long and short sounds and aspirations make so much more sense, though I rarely react to “mis”-romanization of any of the Devanagri languages quite the same way – eg dal, daal, dahl, dhal – even though that last one is just wrong, because there’s no aspiration on the d, and yet it’s all over the place.)

https://shesimmers.com/2009/06/how-to-make-larb-gai-lahb-gai-laab-gai-larp-gai-laap-gai-lahb-gai-ลาบไก่.html

5 Likes

Have you thought about a butane camp stove?? I picked one up for around $15 (on sale).
When the power goes out here, I dig it out of the closet, put in a can of butane and start cooking – something. It really does a nice job and if there going to be “red tape” who knows how long it will be to get full power restored.

11 Likes

Now and always, you are my hero!

1 Like

Yesterday, Sunshine brought home some mushrooms she found on “clearance”. So I made a Mushroom, Onion, Chicken & Peas Pasta dish with cream of chicken soup as a sauce. Topped it with a little shredded cheese and that was dinner.

13 Likes

Well, of course. You can only get so close trying to spell something from a tonal language. That said, there is no R sound in the Thai word, so laab is closer than larb.

Do you think this could be a product of somebody different cooking?

No idear. This was probably over a decade ago, and we ordered 5 or 6 different kinds of laab.

The gradation also seems random to me, but then the “very spicy” dish we got at our favorite Thai place in Berlin this summer was just as hot as the “Thai spicy” dish we’d ordered the first time around.

At some point, it’s just very, very spicy :joy:

1 Like

Last night was take-out. Sister got sushi, I got hamachi kama.

leftovers were bfast today.

21 Likes

No, I haven’t. I had HOPED that it would have been resolved earlier than this. And last I heard, they’re hoping to have full power back to us tomorrow. Excavating started this morning.

3 Likes

How was it? :grinning:

It was great!! Sunshine cleaned her plate, which is always a good sign. (unlike my polenta experiment which was spit out LOL!!)

4 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Interesting read, thanks @Saregama!

2 Likes