What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

We were invited to a wonderful Labor Day shindig / welcome back party hosted by friends - and predictably, food & company were fabulous. There was pernil with tomatillo salsa, mac & cheese with peppers (both regular & GF), lion’s head meatballs made with ground chicken & turkey, potato salad, a lovely crudité platter with pesto dip, a couple of capreses, a creamy dill cuke salad with shallots (my contribution), and a super-refreshing, tart PR sangria courtesy of my PIC. The two pitchers were chugged within the first half hour. It contains pineapple juice & passionfruit pulp.

No pics as we were too busy catching up with our friends.

14 Likes

What dat?

Puerto Rican sangria. Here’s the recipe. We waited until serving to add the sprite, tho, so it don’t go flat :wink:

SANGRIA CRIOLLA

1.5 cups frozen (thawed) passionfruit pulp

2 cups pineapple juice

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

2 cups lemon-lime soda

2 cups red wine

1 cup white rum

1 6oz can of mandarine oranges

ice cubes

combine all in a pitcher & chill for an hour.

11 Likes

Oh boy! That’s one packed glass!

1 Like

You know what, I freaking hate pumpkin. (There, I said it…although the West Indian variety is very nice for roti and other curries. I like the dry texture.) However, it is getting close to Fall, being September and all. So despite the hot, humid weather I made an old favourite - matzo ball soup and snapped a photo before I put in some shredded chicken. (Stock courtesy of a rotisserie chicken carcass, and all the skin made a crispy roasted snack for later) L’chaim!

21 Likes

I made an old favorite tonight, Roast chicken (COTM Thomas Keller), because my sis loves roast chicken most of all of us, and she has never eaten this version.

The chicken was just about 3lbs, perfectly sized for this prep. The “style” is oxymoronically simple — dry the chicken in & out, season with s&p, roast at high temp for 40-60 mins.

I spatchcocked the chicken (my first time ever doing this) because I wasn’t sure about vertical clearance in the countertop oven, and put potatoes and onions under it in lieu of a rack (to absorb juices and prevent smoking up the kitchen).

The oven didn’t seem to be as hot as the temp dial claimed, so I switched it to the broil every 15 mins or so for a few mins.

There were an unusual amount of juices collected, so I drained them off and cooked rice in them – I mean, chicken-y, schmaltzy rice: yes please. While that happened, I put the potatoes back under the broiler to brown a bit.

Mom’s simple tomato salad on the side for all of us. Mom wanted to eat some of “her” leftovers – veggie patties, baked beans, and olive foccacia, plus a pile of tomato salad which is her favorite.

Tell ya what, there’s little that’s better than a freshly roasted chicken. Yum. The skin was fully rendered and perfectly crisp, the meat perfectly done, moist, and so flavorful with nothing more than salt & pepper.

29 Likes

We doubled the recipe so we’d have enough. All gone, cept for the mandarin segments. Note to self: use far fewer next time. Or none. Not sure they really added all that much.

Perfect meal.

3 Likes

Trying my hand at quail tonight.

Also making an oyster mushroom gratin, and a leek slice of some sort. Tomato pie sans crust again.

3 Likes

Everything looks and sounds delicious. Roast chicken is one of my favorites, and, when I cook a whole one, I always have it spatchcocked - so perfect! I’d love to know what’s in your mother’s tomato salad. I’e been going tomato crazy this summer, even though I’m the only one who likes them raw! More for me…

1 Like

Delicious! Who was the lucky one that got the neck?!?! :smiley:

1 Like

We’ll be in Boston next week. You can bet we’ll have lots of lobster!

1 Like

This boggles my mind! Summer tomatoes are hard to beat in my book.

4 Likes

Take away from a new burger joint that just opened in the nabe.
“Aloette Burger” 4oz patty/griddled emmental cheese/dijonaise/lettuce/pickled onions crinkle cuts fries(over salted) and a free CC cookie they gave me because I told them how screwed up their online ordering system was.
Burger was tasty, nothing mind blowing for $12. Fries were good and crispy $6 and the cookie was free so I can’t complain $22 bucks CAD alll in including tax and tip. Might give them a second chance cause my burger options are kinda limited round these parts.

12 Likes

I repurposed leftover lemon chicken breast in a pasta of chickpea rotini, blanched curly kale, artichoke hearts, bacon, and crimini mushrooms leftover from pizza making, Parm Regg Stravecchio, and heavy cream (from the freezer - terrible idea as it broke). It was well conceived except for the chickpea pasta element - not offensive, but I’d probably never make it again. It’s just not pasta.

My kiddo had a bite of plain cheesy pasta and asked, “does this have cauliflower in it?” Not much escapes that one.

18 Likes

It all looks decent, the cookie and fries especially.

2 Likes

it was tasty, and the team in the restaurant were very friendly. I love crinkle cut fries :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Marinated chicken thighs in Greek dressing, grilled along with pita bread. Served with homemade tabbouleh( fresh parsley, tomatoes, evoo, lots of lemon), Wegman’s stuffed grape leaves and very garlicky and very good hummus.

21 Likes

Tater tot nachos with roasted green chiles! I had a bunch of Anaheims I batch roasted to use for multiple meals.

25 Likes

I was wondering why you were using chickpea pasta…