What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ, including awesome cotechino with Lambrusco wine sauce; squid ink risotto with calamari and red shrimp with shrimp head sauce; burrata with compressed watermelon and heirloom tomatoes; wahoo fish; tortellini with creme di parmigiano; squid ink tagliatelle with uni cacio e pepe. Raviolone with fresh shaved truffles, ricotta and runny egg yolk. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and Cabernet.

15 Likes

Steamed pork patty following this recipe halved, added some anchovies and sliced ginger on top:

Steamed broccolini with oyster sauce:

With a big bowl of rice as this dish is a bit of a “rice thief.”

And also some sake, Kaze no Mori “Wind of the Woods”

21 Likes

Another rainy afternoon had us finish the Boppenheimer assignment. We decided dinner was going to be a belated (wedding party) anniversary celebration, since we were on our way to bury my mother on the actual date. We chose the new location of a Danish chain (!) near us, Sticks & Sushi, a sushi / sashimi / yakitori place that is really quite good.

They greeted us with two glasses of bublé on the house, then we continued with a Yuzu Zoo (gin, umeshu, yuzu, lemon bitter) for him, and a Shojito (shochu, blackberry, lime) for me – loved both of them :blush:

We split the Sushi Sister – a variety of sashimi & ceviche dishes, almost all of them successful. They sadly ruined very good quality yellowtail with truffle oil, which overpowered the fish & all the other elements of the dish. Whyyyyyyy.

We also ordered a side of rice with spicy sauce & the cold spinach with soy sesame and goma dressing. The spinach was so good we got another order.

Went to a favorite gin bar in walking distance afterwards, Botanical Affairs where we were hoping to have a drink or two. There were two tables seated outside, nobody inside. The bartender was busy chatting with her friend and presumably making drinks for the table(s) outside. We’ll never know, bc after 10 minutes of being ignored completely, we got up and left.

Enjoyed an absolutely fabulous martini my PIC made us back home instead <3

18 Likes

Happy Anniversary - those drinks look very festive.

4 Likes

Thank you! It was a tough choice, but we plan on going back for the “sticks” part of the menu & can try more of their cocktails :slight_smile:

Beautiful fuschias, too. We grew up with hedges and hillsides of red fuschias. They were fun to play with, until a fungus or mite took them out.

2 Likes

I had to give up alcohol this year - I can only drink by proxy now…

2 Likes

That all looks AMAZING!

1 Like

Now that is the way to cook a steak.

1 Like

Ugh, I’m so sorry to hear that :frowning:

2 Likes

I’ll pass that thought on to DH - he’ll be pleased! It was his first time cooking filet mignon on a new gas grill. :+1:

2 Likes

Probably fuchsia mites, I have them too, in my bushes.

Simple dinner of cutlets / kababs tonight.

Mixed veg and paneer for mom, chicken for us.
To go with, leftover barley soup and wonton soup, and buttered toast.

After dinner, I baked my mom an (experimental) eggless orange olive oil cake (that I have my fingers crossed about).

24 Likes

Tuna and cottage cheese “bowl” for dinner
Rio Mare tuna in olive oil/cottage cheese/roasted peppers/cucumber slices/cocktail tomatoes/pickled onions, everything drizzled with spicy chili garlic oil. A couple of multi-grain Ryvita crisps on the side.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was stirfried udon noodles with pork and scallions.

15 Likes

After several rainy weekends, we finally got to use the grill! So dinner was half a Snake River Farm rib eye that I split with BF, a warm salad of zucchini and shiitakes, and Gorgonzola tots. Pinot Noir for me and IPA for him.

23 Likes

Me, too. The liver is happier and I don’t miss it one bit.

3 Likes

Haircut Day.
Which means Scallop Day.
And I was able to snag 4 coral-colored from the fishmonger at Wegmans!

Decided to go with a tapas-style meal.

First, an app around 4pm of Manchego cheese, membrillo, Marcona almonds, proscuitto, grapes, and dried apricots.

Dinner was seared scallops in a saffron cream sauce and sauteed spinach with raisins and toasted pine nuts, and a tiny pinch of Aleppo pepper.

Wine. And there will be a snifter of Licor 43 for dessert, since I don’t make churros.

30 Likes

Southern takeout from a place called Front Porch in Langton, Ontario. Front Porch Southern Kitchen I guess my gold standard Southern meal was a meal at the Smokey Pig BBQ in Bowling Green, Kentucky in 2013.
https://smokeypigbbq.com/

Is anyone still in touch with @meatn3 ?

This was the order I made tonight.
3 Meat and 3s, and a peach cobbler.

14 Likes

Today in “meals that look like a clock.”

4 Likes