What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Camping dinner! The usual suspects plus garlic spinach and zucchini. Friends made the kale salad and homemade sourdough.

19 Likes

And I would suggest that whichever singular aspect from any given post here about a meal stands out tends to be on the reader :wink:

And it could be helpful for others going to Berlin, don’t you think? I copy/pasta the same dinner post on my own FB wall, 3 FB groups, and here on HO’s WFD thread. I’m online friends with people who are in multiples of those groups. They can like or ignore my posts anywhere they want. @linguafood found a Persian restaurant in Berlin with good or GREAT prices. Post it everywhere so people will see it and help keep the business in business. Never too much publicity when it comes to good food, unless you can no longer get into the restaurant you had been touting. :smile:

They’re very new and actually asked us to share the word far and wide… which prompted me to get on IG for the first time in several months :joy: :joy: :joy: I’m so old.

1 Like

Well, I’m way older, and I didnt join FB until late 2011. And it’s the only social media I’m on other than HO. (LinkedIn doesn’t count!) :laughing:

1 Like

I’m grateful for HO. I also belong to some cooking/home forums on Houzz (former GardenWeb). I know people there from 20 years ago. My husband created an account for me on FB without my knowledge when I went to Ohio a number of years back to visit my mother for 2 weeks and he cashed in FF miles and went to Portugal. He told me it was the only way I was going to see photos of his trip/food. I still curse him for doing it - I waste so much time there.

2 Likes

Bo Kho Style Mushroom and Bean Stew, adapted from Ever-Green Vietnamese by Andrea Nguyen

22 Likes

Only HO for me. Never signed up for FB or Twitter. I can be outspoken at times and know myself well enough to know I’d just into trouble there.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Trapanese is my favorite pesto variation. I made a simplified version last week and remembered how fantastic it is! Happy birthday to the BF! Are you both Leos? My husband and I are both Virgos.

2 Likes

My DH goes to FB jail on a fairly regular basis, but he gets into politics. I was banned from a plant identification forum for 24 hours because of a post that I saw some humor in and the mods told me I violated the rules with an extraneous comment. Haven’t been back there since.

I’m in my 4th night alone with 2 crazy Australian Shepherds in the thick of tourist season on Cape Cod while DH is at Watkins Glen with his Porsche Club. I have been eating really crappy food and haven’t talked to almost anyone since he left. I went to a small market this morning for a few groceries and I’m making a hamburger for supper - pan fried with sharp Vermont cheddar, a butter grilled bun even though it means washing an extra skillet and a thick slice of Vidalia onion. If tomorrow is a nice beach day - meaning, that’s where everyone else will be - I might take the risk of driving to our local clam shack for a lobster roll for lunch. I keep telling myself there are a lot of people who dream about being here in the summer but September can’t come soon enough for me.

13 Likes

A Me Day.
Boyz let me sleep from 11pm to 7:30 a.m.

Except for one period of time (no idea what time, as I refused to look at the clock but it was still too dark gray out) when Murphy tried his meowiness to wake me up with his plaintive “I’m stahving, Mom!” cries.

I ignored him.

So what did I do? I made breakfast, read, did a load of laundry, read, put off my sister on something she wanted me to do, read, watered the herbs, tomatoes (still green) and peppers (also still green), and read.

I also baked a lemon blueberry sour cream cake, but might have taken it out a wee bit too soon. Will see when I cut into it later.

A bigass BISO chicken breast was marinated in olive oil, fresh lemon juice, s/p, minced fresh oregano, rosemary, and thyme, with some minced garlic. Roasted at 400° until done.

Sides were Basmati rice and leftover carrots, peas and corn.

There was V&Ls as well, in keeping with the lemony theme of the day.

Back to the muck tomorrow, although just briefly.

And a picture of the young’un who was extra cuddly today. There was even some mutual head licks (with his stepbrother. Not me!). Just 2 each. But it was peaceful…until the afternoon pre-dinner zoomies happened.

24 Likes

We are heading to the cape the 2nd week of October. Can’t come soon enough. Your burger sounds heavenly, I hope you enjoyed,

3 Likes

We have a friend visiting from LA. Kids joining us for dinner and rain threatening.
So the tarp goes up, just in case, and we have a nice dinner of grilled chicken, grilled corn, grilled bread and fresh veggies. Watermelon for dessert and there was a little wine. :wine_glass:

Add images here

22 Likes

Stewed winter melon with crimini mushrooms

Sir fried cabbage with carrots

12 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Bloom in Verona, NJ, including scallops with corn puree, peas, farro, kimchi; burrata compressed watermelon salad with strawberries, pickled shallots; crispy fried shrimp with sriracha and wasabi aioli; mussels with white wine butter sauce, fennel, and jalapeño; escargot with mornay sauce; fried shishito peppers, and truffle fries. It all went great with an excellent Zinfandel and Shiraz.

15 Likes

Rare Sunday off. Just worked out that way.

BF and I went to the boardwalk and grabbed a hot dog (or frankfurter as the place says) at long-time institution The Olde Heidelberg, est. 1934. I had not been there since I was a kid. Though they have a bar, its always been a place for the family. I do remember it not looking like a dive bar, but a dump aspiring to be a dive where you could get a hot dog and a beer and out you go. Their remodel after Hurricane Sandy, I assume, was beautiful. Full bar, cocktails, high-end liquor. I was actually stunned. But who drinks a martini with a hot dog? I ordered my first beer in years. Blue Moon for me and he had an indigenous German brew. The bartender was actually German. It made the moment.

We each had one dog with mustard, raw onion, and spicy relish. They were snappy like I remember. I could have easily eaten five. But this was a pre-dinner snack.

Since I post nothing but liquor/cocktails, I guess I should report on the beer. LOL. The first few sips were so refreshing on this hot summer night and paired well with the dog. But by the end, I was stuffed. One round it was. We always say “grab one drink” and its always two. Tonight, for me, that one was enough. I don’t know how people drink beer all night. To each their own. Next time I go, I may be that guy with a martini and a hot dog.

Dinner back home was a fridge clean-out odds and ends assemblage which was necessary but not worth writing about. There was a martini on the rocks. Bombay is back in the house.

20 Likes

Funny :smile:

Take-out supper: Alimentari’ s eggplant parm, Freud’s artichokes, lasagna, chicken parm, 3 salads and peach pizza.

18 Likes

With beef, I presume? :wink::wink:

2 Likes

A white B.C. king salmon, brined and pan fried in butter. Blueberry sauce with shallots and thyme. Roasted carrots with dill butter. Cucumbers in a sour-cream and cider-vinegar dressing.

Berries, carrots, dill, shallots and cukes from the garden. The fish we caught ourselves during our vacation on Vancouver Island.

17 Likes