What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Still camping. We had grilled burgers on potato buns topped with sauteed foraged chanterelles, COTC, and bagged Tex-Mex slaw (pretty good, surprisingly). We had that with a really nice light, minerally French red.

28 Likes

I used rice vinegar, just a tiny bit to balance the flavor.

I personally don’t love black vinegar, though I do use it if called for (it’s actually very similar to Indian cane vinegar so it’s not an unfamiliar taste profile, just strong :woman_shrugging:t2:.)

3 Likes

Thank you! The food was delicious. It’s hard to make takeout food look good :slightly_smiling_face: I was reluctant to even post it, but I’m glad I was able to do it justice.

I always enjoy your camping adventures and amazing food that you are able to cook outdoors. I’m glad that you are starting to heal from your unfortunate accident.

3 Likes

Thank you! Me too. I’m actually camping with my podiatrist and family :rofl:

Foot is much better - just a little tender when overworked.

12 Likes

Great. I’m glad to hear you are making progress. You always have your podiatrist nearby if it acts up on the camping trip :smiley:

4 Likes

Take-out iced Vietnamese coffee, shrimp & pork wontons, and mushroom & tofu bun/ vermicelli bowl from a casual spot called Hem Social in Toronto. https://linktr.ee/hemsocialto

24 Likes

This looks wonderful and delicious. I regret living so remotely and not able to travel much anymore.

3 Likes

Persian tonight with friends. Very good, very cheap. Around 15 Euro each for a large, delicious kubbideh platter with wonderful rice, hummus, some eggplant/pomegranate dip, and garlic dip, and homemade Persian ayran.

23 Likes

Well, that’s convenient! :rofl:

4 Likes

Two + hours at work dealing with the waterlogged confidential HR files. It was 86° in my office with tubes of outside air being blown in to dry things out before the eventual demo and rebuild. But I’m as done as I can be until we start the move into temporary space.

Got a chance to speak directly with our Gov and Lt Gov yesterday. So hopefully some state aid, as well as federal aid from our Congressman who was there on Thursday, will help move the info up the ladder to the WH to grant us both FEMA and MEMA aid.

But I finally got to cook.

Tsardust Memories seasoning on pork tenderloin after oiling it up with olive oil, then roasting at 350° until internal temp reached 140°.

Roasted Herbs de Provence Yukon Gold potatoes in the convection oven, and a Remembery from growing up: peas, carrots and corn. Used to be Birdseye. Now only the peas were frozen. Well, technically so was the corn, but it was from fresh off the cob local corn I had frozen last week.

The slices of pork tenderloin had some defrosted Plum Ketchup from Aug '22 on top.

And there was wine. Oh yes there was.

25 Likes

Sitting on the deck . Having a glass of wine . Its 98 degrees. I love it . Pork ribs on the smoker . It will be about another 3 hours . Will have bush’s baked beans . Along with Taylor farms green goddess

chopped salad mix . Glamping at its finest .Cheers :clinking_glasses:

28 Likes

That view. THAT VIEW!!!

8 Likes

Any updates on the cats?? How are they getting along?? New Pictures??

2 Likes

98 degrees?? Aren’t you in Oregon? I’m on Cape Cod. It’s low 70’s but about 150% humidity tonight!

4 Likes

60 miles south of Oregon. In California
Mt Shasta

2 Likes

1 Like

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ, including crispy duck leg confit and breast; crispy soft shell crab with a lobster sauce (on the side); sweet corn agnolotti; tuna tartare; It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets. Including a few gratuitous pictures of the flowers on our deck.

20 Likes

We took an epic trip to your part of the country many years ago when we were young and it was our first big vacation - we shipped our camping gear to a friend’s mother who lived in Bodega Bay. We rented a car from the airport in San Jose, visited with her - picked up our gear and drove up the coast then across inland and back down. I remember Mendocino and Eureka and Coos Bay. We camped in the redwoods in a pup tent - that was humbling. We saw Mt. Shasta, Crater Lake, we visited wineries - I’ve always wanted to go back.

8 Likes

Wow!

Gone for most of the day so stopped off on the way home and picked up a pound of sliced brisket. Stuffed potatoes for dinner tonight. His everything but the kitchen sink SP was not picture worthy, believe me. But here is mine. And I was in the mood for a side of crunchy Cheetos too.

18 Likes