What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Jumbo overstuffed mushrooms. For something so simple, it was amazing. One of the best dishes I’ve made recently. Italian breadcrumbs, panko, crushed red pepper, garlic, diced onion, and a ton of fresh parsley, Parmesan, and olive oil. And of course, the best part is all that crispy stuffing at the bottom of the plate.

This was an app while having drinks outside before dinner (G & T for me, Pinot Grigio for BF). Dinner was build-your-own personal pizzas. No pics since we went exactly with what we had last week.

25 Likes

My goodness those are beautiful! Thank you for the idea!

1 Like

Abendbrot at Casa Lingua Berolina was on the agenda, after going out for both lunch and dinner yesterday. Picked up some more of that fab sourdough at the organic market, more San Daniele ham, an amazing, creamy goat cheese, vitello tonnato & pickled anchovies at the Italian market, and made a salad with my favorite lettuce of them all, mâche (I wish that stuff were available back home, but it’s not. SADZ!), baby roma tomatoes, and walnuts in a mustard dressing.

24 Likes

Happy early birthday. I have a zero minutes tolerance for being outside in that kind of temps. I’m in the same camp as the above posters that have talked about their summers lately hovering between 65 and 70. I’d like it to be more 70-75, but anything above that and I absolutely wilt, no matter how many icy beverages.

6 Likes

Interesting and beautiful! How do you get the dough cooked but not burned? Do you have to make it really thin?

1 Like

Family is gone. A couple of leftover meatballs, lovely salad from FM lettuces, and baguette garlic bread.

22 Likes

Landed TPE late Thursday afternoon. Temps here in Taipei in the 80~ 98* range.

What’s For Dinner?!?! HOT POT! Shrug :person_shrugging:

19 Likes

All the instructions I found for making a pizza directly on grill grates wanted you to quickly grill one side and then flip it over and put the toppings on the grilled side. So the ungrilled, but ever so slightly cooked side, is on the bottom. I just let kept my eye on the pie the until it looked done. I pre-grilled both pies so that by the time I got them topped and back on the grill the coals were beginning to cool down.

The middle of the pies were sort of thin but the edges were kind of thick. I used a frozen dough from the grocery store which I initially stretched to a “normal” size for the amount of dough but that was too big for the grill. The second one I was able to size better the first time (the pepperoni was first, the fennel second). Even back in the day when I made the more traditional 16" inch pie we only used one size dough for a small and large pie. One was more stretched than the other, and therefore had more topping.

8 Likes

Goat cheese, proscuitto, caramelized onion and arugula pizza with an aged balsamic drizzled on top (like I was a junior-in-high-school-when-this-was-bottled old!). It was given to me by a then good friend when the balsamic was probably already 25yo, purchased from Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge.

The balsamic lasted. The friendship didn’t. :wink: I think I’m almost out of it, so either a trip to Cambridge or another good cheese shop (maybe Joppa Fine Foods in Newburyport) will be in order.

There was wine.

24 Likes

A modified version of Pizza Margherita. Skin is Jim Lahey’s NK pizza dough, topped with Serious Eats NY Style pizza sauce. I added fresh basil under a thin layer of low moisture mozzarella (thus shielding the tender greens from 550+ degree oven). Followed by the traditional fresh mozz, and topped - after baking- with more fresh basil. Kalamata olives and sliced tomato optional.

Cukes ( here in vinaigrette), tomato and basil from the garden.

21 Likes

Tomorrow (Friday) is Bastille Day and I am going through my recipe coloections for something cool-ish (it is supposed to be above 90°, again!) and simple. I’m thinkin’ soup and sandwiches.

Soup n’ sandwich, soup n’ sandwich
Anytime of weather,
Soup and sandwich go together.

We’ll see what goes tomorrow. There may be pictures, but no alcohol to drink.

11 Likes

I remember enjoying a merguez sausage on a bun with Dijon mustard on Bastille Day 1998.

I also spent Bastille Day 2001 in Paris, and almost all the restaurants were closed.

Maybe I’ll make something French tomorrow.

Dinner tonight was leftover rotisserie chicken turned into chicken salad with basil, tomatoes with olive oil and basil, garlic butter lobster tails, green beans and fava beans from the garden, green salad with lettuce from the garden, and roasted Kabocha squash.

14 Likes

Glorious day today, but it was foggy in town this morning.
Roasted poblano pepper, stuffed with albondigas, topped with fire roasted tomato salsa and pepper jack cheese. Fried potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, garlic and finished with green onions. Cabbage slaw, grated radish, cilantro, rpf, oo & lime juice dressing. There was an orange paloma and sangria.

18 Likes

BF and I looked at 3-4 recipes for chicken shawarma, turmeric rice and garlicky yogurt sauce. His first - super flavorful!

23 Likes

Pig’s blood?

3 Likes

Better. Duck’s blood.

NT$40 add-on (usd$1.30).

3 Likes

Foie gras’ better, but under appreciated, cousin.

3 Likes

Stir fried tofu with green beans and shiitake mushrooms - pan fried tofu with corn starch coating with stir fried green beans, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, ginger, garlic and sauce made from vegetable broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil and corn starch

21 Likes

That pizza looks spectacular!

1 Like

Thank you! We made short order of it. :yum: