What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Beautiful cat! Congratulations and best of luck & health.

When we got ours, he had already been named Larry (after the park ranger who found him-- my mom was working at a park visitor’s center where someone dumped him). We were going to name him Lawrence, which was kind of ironic.

4 Likes

Such a natural pairing, spinach and mushrooms, in anything imho.

1 Like

It’s a favorite pizza topping combo for me. When I was a student I used to deliver pizza from a small, independent shop in my hometown. The pizza was actually quite good, so I’d often order from them as well. My standard order was 1/2 spinach, mushroom & prosciutto cotto, and 1/2 tuna, onion & corn.

Perfection π.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the new addition @LindaWhit!

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I cooked, I cooked! The pasta was purchased at the culinary wonderland that is the Italian market near us, the chanterelles at the FM on Saturday.

Tagliolini ai funghi porcini con finferli. The cookware leaves much to be desired, but everything came out wonderfully. Started the ‘sauce’ with a mix of ghee & olive oil, rendered some diced bacon (and ended up spooning some of the fat out) until crispy, added diced shallots, then the chanterelles, splash of white, crème fraîche, fresh parsley – et voila. La pasta.

Side salad with my lettuce obsession, mâche, cherry tomatoes & half of a perfectly ripe avocado in a creamy mustard dressing.

26 Likes

Day 2 dinner at Cabaret L’Enfer
Tasting menu with 7 courses + the lobster option + the Chef kindly showered my pasta course with black truffles gratuitement + wine pairing for 7 courses, a very special place indeed.

*It was easier to post my cheesy Instagram photos than to post individually.

14 Likes

yup, another salad for dinner but this time with Rio Mare tuna AND sardines w/hot peppers. Some pickled veg/meh tomatoes/steamed broccoli and RWDV. I need more fresh fish in my diet, so tomorrow I’m on the hunt!

18 Likes

Bread and butter, and bread with tirokefteri. White nectarines and strawberries after dinner. Maybe some Spumoni later tonight.

14 Likes

Sous vide salmon with teriyaki glaze

Capture.PNG

20 Likes

FIFY

1 Like

New freezer, who dis?

11 Likes

I can think of mischievous combinations with those ingredients.

None of which involves just taking shots of vodka and chasing it with spoonfuls of granita gelato.

7 Likes

Oooo - we’ve been through a kitchen renovation and also a new house build where we occupied the place before permits and plumbing. Creativity and skills learned in Scouts, for sure! Do you have running water?

2 Likes

I made tuna sushi roll bowls with seared sesame tuna, seasoned sushi rice, avocado, ponzu cucumbers, pickled ginger, Sriracha mayo dressing, wasabi, tamari, and a little kimchi for fun.

24 Likes

'We do have running water, hot & cold in the downstairs bathroom. And an electric kettle if we need to boil more. Induction hot plate, 2 grills and a toaster oven.
So far so good. Originally scheduled for Oct/Nov so this is much better than anticipated.

3 Likes

I thought I could handle bread and dip for dinner, but I was craving vegetables. I did a quick takeout from a Lebanese restaurant called Lebanese Garden, which hit the spot. Eggplant , zucchini, potatoes, beans, and fattoush. Unfortunately the fattoush was under the hot stuff. Luckily, I’m okay with wilted or cooked lettuce :joy:

My take-out version looks a little different than the website version :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Pan-roasted chicken thighs ala diavolo. Cukes and toms with homemade Ranch dressing. Carrot slaw in vinaigrette.

21 Likes

Super basic we-just-got-home meal. Chilled squash soup, squid with peas, shiitakes, red pepper and jarred red curry sauce. Don’t need to think, just need to slice and stir.

14 Likes

Spanakopita. It has been too long. Recipe from Vefa’s Kitchen, homemade phyllo (minus the baking powder called for). I’m actually getting fast enough to consider doing this more often. There’s something very satisfying about streeeeetching those layers of dough.

29 Likes