What's for Dinner #94 - the White Rabbit Edition - June 2023

https://catherinesplates.com/railroad-pie-ground-beef-cornbread-casserole/ for anyone else curious

2 Likes

Holy moly :drooling_face:

1 Like

If you liked that, I bet you would enjoy this too.

3 Likes

I will warn you that I used a large cast iron skillet and the topping was not enough to cover. So you may want to scale up or use a smaller pan. @Desert-Dan

I made chipotle ground pork chili with black and pink beans to go with leftover corn muffins. Worked and used up some odds and ends.

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was pork and asparagus stirfry.

15 Likes

Pasta Salad with Salmon and Dill, topped with caraway spiced bread crumbs, from Saveur Magazine.

Excellent and might be my new favorite summer pasta salad! The breadcrumbs were an unexpected and fun textural component that held up better than I thought they might with the dressing.

21 Likes

Peruvian chicken sandwich. Buttered and toasted French sandwich roll, avocado, romaine, red onion, Peruvian chicken, aji verde. Potato and corn salad, sweet onion, celery, red pepper, parsley, pimenton aioli dressing.

20 Likes

Breakfast for dinner - frozen hash brown, Beyond breakfast sausages, Beanz, buttered dark rye toast, and fried eggs.

21 Likes

I haven’t posted to WFD in a week. A life interrupted now resumes.

WFD tonight was supposed to be leftovers from the freezer. Instead we grazed on cherries from our fruit trees, followed by strawberry galette with two kinds of homemade strawberry ice cream.

29 Likes

BF made a favorite of ours from Portugal - Açorda à Alentejana: a simple, water-based broth, with garlic, extra virgin olive oil, a piece of stale bread, cilantro, and a poached egg. It’s deceptively rich, and we’ve made it many times since we first went to Lisbon in 2016. Also, his second ever tortilla de patata and he aced it! i’ve made hundreds of these and most of the time mine don’t look as nice. His sherried mushrooms, however, were a disappointment, and they’re usually my favorite. The mushrooms tasted moldy to me, and he hadn’t put in enough sherry. i took one and that was it. But that soup is super filling, surprisingly, and the tortilla was delish.

23 Likes

I could probably live on sandwiches.

Saw a recipe on Instagram for air-fried crispy chicken sandwiches with the chicken coated in crushed corn flakes and a bunch of seasonings. Came out amazing, “fried” at 375 for nine minutes on each side. Would make again. Toasted Brioche bun, mayo, ketchup, pickles, tomato, and white American cheese.

I was tempted to fry them for real. I’m glad I did not because these were so satisfying that it would not have made much difference.

There was Costco/Kirkland single barrel bourbon.

24 Likes

That’s more Austrian

Simple salad with romaine, radicchio, poached chicken breast, raw mushrooms, carrots, fennel, radish, red onion and a vinaigrette made from olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and tarragon.

17 Likes

That sounds like something I could get behind. I don’t have Instagram, could you summarize?

1 Like

I actually used two boxes of cornbread mix. Yes, with my 12" skillet one box was not enough. Luckily, I had a second box in the pantry.

Looks delicious!

1 Like

Seconded. I’d make a fish sandwich.

2 Likes

What kind of cherry? Royal Ann cross? They look wonderful!

Chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, lots of paprika. Flour and egg (recipe was just egg but I like a better glue). Crushed cornflakes with those same seasonings also added. Air fried at 375 degrees for 18 minutes, flipping the chicken over halfway. There were no measurements given. Its basically a standard fried cutlet preparation.

3 Likes