What's for Dinner #94 - the White Rabbit Edition - June 2023

Last night I made beef birria in the IP, served with homemade yellow rice made in my other IP :rofl:. Leftover tomato braised green beans also made an appearance (not pictured).

23 Likes

it comes fresh in a little package from TJs and the package just has you prepare it in the bag, in the microwave. BF had already done it when i got home. My sister says she does the same, then just tosses with butter and eats them. I just sprinkled some salt on them and ate them as a snack. It think it would be good in soups or cut up in salads.

2 Likes

I like the Rio Mare and Callipo in olive oil and snap it up when it’s on sale. Really nice stuff but can be spendy

1 Like

I made a boxed stroganoff kit that I doctored with minced sauteed shallots, sliced mushrooms, and green peas. I used ground chicken breast dusted with Montreal steak seasoning instead of ground beef. Side of cucumber slices with Tajín.

18 Likes

Have you tried different brands? They’re not all the same. Ortiz is quite good.

Voting threads for COTQ and DOTQ:

2 Likes

Off today.
Appointments and errands.
Spent time at a rescue looking for Finny’s new brother.
Didn’t happen. :disappointed_relieved:

Came home and got a call from a foster rescue where I had put in my application.

Hopefully going to see another cat tomorrow after stellar Cat Mom reviews from several friends and a coworker.

:::Fingers crossed:::

Tonight was standard Friday night fare: steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a baked potato with TPSTOB with SC on the side, and a salad of my crazy growing buttercrunch lettuce, sliced radishes, sugar snap peas and shaved carrots with a lemon-honey-shallot vinaigrette.

Wine.

22 Likes

Here’s hoping you find a new kitty companion soon :crossed_fingers::smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Freezer clean-out, the results of which were as good as (better than?) take-out.

Scallion pancake. Pot stickers. Roasted Asian-style chicken wings. Green beans. Rice.

27 Likes

Best of luck with the kitty caper. I hope your current pet and the possible bowl buddy isn’t affected by firework sounds. We have to create a safe place every year for our old boy. Just one inch from tranquilizing him😨. The gunshots and big boomers start in the middle of June and continue well into mid-July. We live in the boonies and there are fire restrictions, but nobody follows the rules and enforcement is impossible.

6 Likes

Yep, even some of the nicer oil-packed ones he has a hard time with. He didn’t grow up eating tuna salad or melts like I did.

1 Like

Did he suffer through canned tuna sandwiches in the lunchbox as a kid?
I know many who did and they’ll never touch any canned fish, ever!

1 Like

Mrs. P made steamed Dungeness crabs and figs stuffed with Humboldt fog cheese and toasted pine nuts and topped with a balsamic reduction. We also had TJ’s sweet potato fries and homemade guacamole (not pictured). It went great with an excellent Malbec. Adding a gratuitous picture of our Frenchie Matusse :blush:

21 Likes

Dinner at sister’s a couple nights ago that I forgot to post - had a craving for shrimp tacos. made a little sour cream sauce with salsa roja, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, lime juice, salt, a little Cholula hot sauce, and a little ketchup for sweetness. red cabbage, scallions, a little avo to garnish… Shrimpies tossed with lime juice, paprika, salt, granulated garlic and seared. Valentina hot sauce on mine. On charred, not-good Mission Organic Corn Tortillas - for some reason, they were all my sister could find for corn tortillas at Whole Foods. They were kind of mealy and flimsy. But overall, scratched the itch nicely.

23 Likes

Finn hates them (and thunder) and hides behind the TV or under my bed. Alfie was never really bothered unless it was nearby thunder and lightning. My town’s fireworks are about a mile away as the crow flies, so the big boomers are usually felt. It’s warm enough that my AC will be on, so closed windows help.

1 Like

Why did I read that as the cow flies… ??

4 Likes

Did you just watch the movie “Twister”?

“I gotta go Julia…we got cows!”

:wink:

3 Likes

I’ve posted the July thread here:

3 Likes

Boo, hiss. I like their organic whole wheat tortillas. They’re reminiscent of homemade.

Some dinners from May and June…Memorial Day, Father’s Day and just the other night.
section

Crock pot BBQ baby bax rib section with potato and macaroni salads and a whole grilled peach.

Grilled (on the new perfect grill I got him for his birthday last fall) T-bone for daddy with a lightly sauced pesto tagliatelle and mixed sauteed 'rooms and onions.

Grilled lamb kebobs (my mom’s recipe from my childhood), weird looking baked purple sweet potato (looks like boiled bacon chunks) and glorious rainbow chard from the dotter’s CSA.

Left over T-bone went to steak salads a few days later and the 5# boneless leg (it was the smallest I could find) of lamb yielded 4-1/2 # of meat for 8 ample kebab skewers. Sent 1/2 home with the dotter and we still had leftovers. Yum all around. I would make the kebabs more frequently, but it is an expensive dish, but ‘company’ worthy, for sure. I don’t know about the purple sweet potato… maybe I’ll make fries next time. This picture shows how really unappetizing it looked.

11 Likes