What's For Dinner #93 - the Grow Grow Grow Your Garden Edition - May 2023

Lol. Not gonna call this S.O.S. – it’s all about the marketing. Leftover herb roasted chicken with mushrooms, scallions and peas in a wine and cream reduction. Served over pasta with roasted asparagus on the side.

Anything green from the garden.

16 Likes

The food equivalent of laundry day. Shrimp & egg salad with scallion, celery, roasted pepper and the last tomato.

18 Likes

You know, I made hamburger stroganoff awhile back, and was surprised that it tasted sooo good - I would eat that meal in a heartbeat!

6 Likes

Jjajang Lamb Noodles with Honey-Soy Butter Glazed Turnips - Noodle sauce was made from ground lamb, onion, fish sauce, fermented black beans, Shaoxing wine, gochujang, sugar and silken tofu. Turnips were braised briefly in a mixture of honey, soy sauce, butter and water, afterwards boiled down to a glaze. Both recipes from the Mei Mei cookbook

16 Likes

Thank you all so much for your kind words :pray:t3:

This year’s been a bit of a roller coaster, but I guess we’re all on the same ride in one way or another.

More reason to celebrate life & friends & food & all the things we love.

Ladies night had us share fried pickles and korean ribs. I know the pickles look like Mr. Hanky and his buddies, but I swear they were delish and came with a homemade chipotle ranch sauce :dancer::yum:

25 Likes

Exactly! It’s a favored memory - I would make this the first few years I was living on my own - it was easy, it was filling, it gave me leftovers. Soon I began to tweak the recipe from the old neon green General Mills recipe box (yes it was one of THOSE cards) and used fresh mushrooms instead of canned; only a half can of cream of mushroom soup instead of the entire thing; added more garlic, added some herbs, sometimes a sploosh of wine.

Does it still look like SOS? Yup. But it’s one of those meals that reminds me how far I’ve come in my cooking over the past 40+ years. And it still tastes comforting and good.

10 Likes

Saving your detailed notes! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Happy for your good news!

1 Like

Soy Sauce Braised Wild Mushroom Noodles, adapted from The Woks of Life https://thewoksoflife.com/soy-sauce-mushroom-noodles/

24 Likes

Have you cooked much from it, and would you recommend it? Is that the Double Awesome Chinese Food?

I made pulled chicken tacos tonight and brought the identical meal to my friend who’s solo parenting with three young kids - one of whom was feverish home from school and the youngest who’s teething. It sounded like a lot. She texted that they loved everything and the Pepperidge Farm chocolate layer cake I brought enticed the sickie (even though he insists on being carried from room to room :joy:). They also got chips and salsa, which we skipped. Salad with cilantro-lime ranch.

25 Likes

And I don’t even like IPAs :face_vomiting: but they cook well-- like Guinness, which I also can barely get down.

1 Like

That’s like saying I don’t like cocktails- there are so many variations on flavors, bitterness etc. Especially if you go into craft beer/smaller breweries you will find a huge variation and somebody who guides you towards your preferred flavor profiles. (And Guiness is just mass produced beer like one (small) step above Budweiser.

Yum! Those radishes look beautiful and the plating, inviting! What a friend, you are. I think my friends would just pick up a Costco rotisserie chicken if theyvwere so inclined.

2 Likes

Yes, one can say they don’t like IPAs, bc I feel exactly the same way.

Cocktails aren’t all heavy on one particular ingredient, like a STOHops.

There are many IPAs which are actually quite restrained on the hops or you could into the direction of cold IPAs etc.

Me asking if I recommend a cookbook is like asking a fish if he recommends water…
But more objectively answered, I tend to buy over the last 5-10 years more cookbooks which either cover a unique country/region, a cookbook author who has a unique style/voice or if it covers a restaurant with a “connection”. DACF hits the last one and a bit of the second one. I liked Mei Mei as a restaurant when lived in Boston and I think their work (beyond just the restaurant) has a unique voice (e.g. activism). The recipes have their basis in Chinese cuisine but with a quite strong flavor of fusion (which many people don’t like in general but we often look out for). It sometimes reminds me a bit on the Tiger Mama cookbook (another Boston restsurant). These were the first two recipes we cooked and especially the noodles (even though simple) were quite nice.

4 Likes

Nah, I’m quite content with my pilsners.

Disclaimer - I did not grow any of this. Still, itsa Whatsferdinner.

I’ve never before decided to squish 15 blackberries through a sieve, whisk the resultant juice with red wine vinegar, a nice EVOO (the California Olive Ranch that @ScottinPollock told me about), salt & pepper, 2 teaspoons of German mustard, a tablespoon+ of leftover tzatziki (I made homemade gyros/pitas this week), and a couple of drops of stevia extract, and pour over butter lettuce with sliced onion, a few quartered grape tomatoes, sliced broccoli, sliced Brussels sprouts, a few blueberries, and some long-grated Asiago and cheddar cheese.

Best salad I’ve ever made, bar none.

Of course, being a fat guy, I didn’t let it go at the salad. I sautéed leftover duck meat in duck fat with more Brussels sprouts and a bit of thin sliced onions, tossed with more tzatziki.

Still, I am losing weight for leaning more low-carb (but still eating lots of low-carb veggies).

20 Likes

Try some sours :wink: