What's For Dinner #93 - the Grow Grow Grow Your Garden Edition - May 2023

Appetizer of burrata with a peppercorn mix, lemon zest, sumac, fennel seeds, olive oil, fresh basil. Good, but I still want to find preserved lemon (and sorrel if I can) to recreate a dish I had at a hipster brunch place in Berlin last summer.

Main was local fresh pappardelle with a ragú of (local) lamb and eggplant. Adding aleppo pepper, Turkish red pepper paste, toasted fennel seeds, melted anchovies, and just a splash of cream at the end brought it all together. The pasta cooked up nicely. I really need to try more of their stuff.

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was chicken asparagus lemon stirfry served over rice noodles.

16 Likes

Stop & Shop had baby back ribs for 1.99/lb so I bought a big package to last us for 2 meals. No pics, but we had oven-baked baby back ribs seasoned with a dry rub, then basted with a bourbon molasses sauce (Stonewall Kitchens). Made cole slaw from an organic bag mix and Marie’s slaw dressing. Then fresh corn on the cob for dessert - all the way from Florida to Cape Cod. The corn was good, and everything was easy (I needed easy!)

15 Likes

Corn on the cob is the best dessert ever! We have a couple of months to before our local com is up and the wait is excruciating…

5 Likes

Alaskan halibut filet on potato raft with dill and scallion. Roasted asparagus. Baby peas with tarragon. Lemon “aioli”. Herb sauce with basil and chive.

Everything green on the plate from the garden.

23 Likes

Picked up my box of goat today .Raised , harvested , packedged for me .Mt Shasta. Really awesome. Super thanks to a good freind master sausage maker . Bavaria .So surf and turf . Wild caught blue fin tuna off the Santa Barbara coast . Caught by my fishing guide freind . Goat chops. Both are grilled .Cheers

18 Likes

I found both preserved lemon and sorrel at WorldMarket near me.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we don’t have one where I live :slightly_frowning_face:

Cauliflower braised in a mixture of water, tomato paste, onions, garlic, garam masala, ginger. Finished with yoghurt, cilantro and cashews. Served with naan

16 Likes

We found Villa Jerada jarred preserved lemons at a gourmet shop and have used them in a few recipes - based on a quick google seach they may be available online.

Oh, for sure. I just wish I hadn’t been a cheapskate and just bit the bullet and bought them at Wegmans, which carries them in their international section.

You can make preserved lemons. I use Claudia Roden’s recipe, but there is a similar recipe on thespruceeats.com. Claudia Roden’s recipe calls for 4 lemons, and leaving them in a cool place for a month before refrigerating them.

4 Likes

Gulf Bay Shrimp in Pipián Verde, with roasted green beans, tortillas, and pico de gallo

I adapted the sauce from Rick Bayless’s Mexican Everyday and doctored it with some ground cloves and cinnamon.

17 Likes

Mrs. P went way above and beyond for my actual 65! birthday tonight. She created an awesome savory crawfish and Andouille sausage cheesecake with pepperjack cheese, jalapeno cream cheese, and rictotta, over a ritz cracker crust. It was inspired by a dish we had at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, NJ. I couldn’t even provide a recipe, since she incorporated several recipes, and made numerous changes as she went along :slightly_smiling_face: It was outstanding for the first time making it. On top of that she made a stuffed D’artagnan heritage pork double cut pork chop stuffed with blue cheese, bacon, and apples, among other things. It was so huge that I could only eat half. It all went great with an outstanding red blend.

26 Likes

That all looks fantastic! Happy birthday!

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Last nights surf and turf. Goat chops and blue fin tuna grilled . Amazing .Trouble uploading last night . Cheers .

19 Likes

That looks and sounds sublime. Happy Birthday.

2 Likes

I went to California this morning. Saw poppies and bought tequila. My first margarita of the year.

I had door dash, aka BR Jr., from the local Thai restaurant for dinner. Red curry seafood with Jasmine rice. I made a Thai chopped salad. Romaine, carrot, cucumber, green onion, basil with peanuts and peanut sauce dressing.

22 Likes

Inspired by this recipe from the Washington Post, bulgogi [sic] meatballs with lettuce wraps.

My only “beef” with the recipe is bulgogi requires fruit. Not having any Asian pears (or kiwi) on hand, I swapped out a teaspoon of the soy for boiled apple cider. It added the right note, and probably retained some tenderizing capacity.

In any case, this was quick and tasty, and I would make it again.

Lettuce and scallions from the garden.

21 Likes