What's For Dinner #93 - the Grow Grow Grow Your Garden Edition - May 2023

Any day that starts with Biryani and ends with Piccata is okay in my book.

We had the opportunity to spend the night in our favorite getaway town last night. With the busy season upon us here on the Jersey Shore, who knows when we might next escape. Lunch today (okay, really a recovery breakfast) was Chicken Biryani. On our way home we found a spot and shared the Biryani and a selection of naans. Unbelievable flavor that came as advertised from several people I know who have eaten here. And surprisingly enough, this was the first time I’ve ever had Biryani despite years of cooking and eating Indian food.

Funny story: waiter asked us for spice level and we said “spicy”. He actually argued with us back and forth and said we should try “medium”. I was taken aback and even though I considered their level of spicy might be severe and it was early in the morning and I was not necessarily craving a death wish, I felt insulted and challenged and reiterated that we wanted it hot. Food arrives and it was spicy but not as bad as we thought. The waiter disappeared after taking our order but two other people checked on us. Finally, the second guy asks how we liked it and we said it was great but probed him on what spice level was ordered. He went and checked the ticket and said “medium”. AHA. We were duped! The waiter didn’t think we could handle it. On our way out, the original waiter reappeared and asked how we liked the food. My BF intent on getting the last word says, “It was delicious but it could have been spicier”. The guy’s eyes widened. :rofl:

For tonight, I made Chicken Piccata with Parmesan mashed.

As for last night, drinks and apps at a couple of places but only took pictures at one:

27 Likes

It has been a day, let me tell you. So I ate late, for me, and then for good measure I spilled wine on my plate o’ squid, but not before I took a picture of it, so at least there’s that.

With fennel salad and tahini. Could be more grilled looking, but I’ll take it.

Pea shoot, radish, tomato, scallion with ramp ranch. It’s a little thin 'cause I ran out of mayonnaise. Did I mention it’s BEEN A DAY? Anyway, this is a damn good dressing and I’m gonna make more of it as soon as I get more mayo.

20 Likes

And in case there was any doubt.

Both were served as dinner.

11 Likes

What were the fish?

Swordfish and branzino (from top to bottom in case it wasn’t obvious :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

love this story! i once had “Indian hot” at an Indian restaurant in L.A., and it blew my head off. And I really love heat.

Love Biryani! been wanting to try my hand at making it…

4 Likes

BF made what has become another one of his standards - Cheeseboigas! (He’s in the soft food camps these days.) I’d found brisket burger patties and they turned out incredibly tender. Big old salad on the side.

cheeseburger 6

Tonight i worked on whittling down and labeling the 10,000 pics i took on our trip to BCN/LIS - working up to posting my trip report soon. in the meantime, here’s bfast - poached eggs with my massa pimentao (Portuguese red pepper sauce).

25 Likes

Happy birthday! They must love your continued patronage :grinning:

2 Likes

As @John wrote, MS’s recipes seem to always need adjustment. I don’t think I’ve ever had one that worked the first time only by following the recipe.

2 Likes

Pork tenderloin for me too. Sliced into medallions, smacked with a wine bottle, then wet brined with herbs and pan seared. Delish but no pic due to family madness

13 Likes

Thank you! Yes, they especially appreciate the 2 bottles of wine I bring for the staff each month in appreciation of their great service :grinning:

2 Likes

Respect to anyone who can put a dent in mint. Might count as a superpower…

2 Likes

Well, the mint is back, apparently.

2 Likes

And how were they prepared?

Yeah, when I initially looked at the recipe, I was thinking “it’s gonna be a bit bland” but wanted to make it as written. I know better now. Will study those cards I kept to try in a bit more detail to make sure the flavah-flavs are up to my likes.

1 Like

I love the “smacked with a wine bottle” method of prep. :wink:

5 Likes

With the swordfish we made Agghiotta di Pesce Spada.

With the branzino we pan seared it whole with capers and tomatoes.

5 Likes

Great looking meal! Many happy returns!

Thank you very much!

Grey Sole baked with wine, cream, and thyme on a bed of spring pea risotto

24 Likes