What's For Dinner #93 - the Grow Grow Grow Your Garden Edition - May 2023

Wow. Happy birthday to you and gigantic kudos to Mrs P

Happy birthday!! What a feast.

I know I can. I just generally don’t cook with them a lot, and the dish popped up in my Facebook memories that day, so I had to have it right away, not a month later :wink:

Had a friend over for dinner, as their partner is out of town for a week. A Greek-themed meal that was supposed to happen al fresco, but clouds and chilly winds nixed that plan.

Apps were TJ’s very serviceable dolma and gigantes, mains grilled pork tenderloin, a Greek-ish salad, and L&W fries that unfortunately weren’t done when the meat was. Tzatziki for dippin’ / on the side. Pistachio kadaifi from the Turkish market for dessert, and a coupla bottles of Zoe’s Roditis & Moschofilero blend.

I have a duo gig from 6-8pm with my keyboarder at a local winery, and a pretty popular pizza truck is providing food. My guess is that (or leftovers) will be WFD tonight.

19 Likes

Thank you very much @linguafood @tcamp and @ottawaoperadiva for your birthday wishes!

1 Like

last night the BF made shrimp for me (he had one!), sauteed in olive oil with garlic and lemon zest. Also, orzo with capers and sundried tomatoes, zucchini, and a big salad. We’re doing small plates/veggie heavy, big time.

and here’s the Portugal trip report, for whoever is interested…

21 Likes

LOL I have almost never followed a recipe without tweaking, except for baking, and that was difficult.

4 Likes

Long week with the offsite sales team in the office, along with my regular work.
So, late out of work.
So, late dinner.

But I’m starting a 6 day weekend.
I can deal with leaving work late for that. :wink:

Several catered lunches this week, including a monthly Company lunch. There was a lot of leftover spicy-sweet chili sauce I couldn’t let go to waste, so it came home with me to use up.

Tonight was roasted BISO chicken thighs with a chili glaze, steamed asparagus, and leftover Israeli couscous.

A big-ass glass of Bertrand Cote des Roses rosé alongside as well.

And a simply gorgeous extra-long Memorial Day weekend ahead of me.

28 Likes

Carnitas tacos redux. I ate three.

22 Likes

BF went Medi tonight with split pea soup using two kinds of split peas and sundried tomatoes. Had kind of a curry vibe, owing to those tomatoes, i think… Also, chicken thigh kebabs he marinated in my massa de pimentao (Portuguese pepper paste). and more zukes. Olives and croutons “optional.”

19 Likes

Couple dinners to post: I can’t sell the fam on ham dinners per se, even at the holidays. But, every year around Easter when hams are really cheap, we always buy one for the freezer. Then when weather is better, onto the grill it goes with a Dr Pepper glaze. Delicious, plus leftovers for so many things, fried rice, black bean soup, etc. was going to make potato salad, but weather shifted & it was cold, so went with loaded mashed potatoes. Next up was chicken enchiladas and chili beans.

26 Likes

I will occasionally try to but it is rare that I don’t change something. With MS, I always have to make adjustments.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was Korean short ribs, leftover roasted peppers, and rice noodles. Sorry about the blurry picture. I guess I need to develop a steadier hand…

15 Likes

The pizza at our show last night. Not bad, but the crust def improved by being reheated in the pan, and by adding some salt.

Small plates & HH drinks with a friend at the gay bar is WFD tonight. Their menu this week looks scrumptious :yum:

17 Likes

A day on the road after breakfast at my local waffle house diner.: Brioche bread french toast, bacon, freshly squozen OJ, and cawfee. Diner cawfee. :heart:

Nothing purchased, but a beautiful day for meandering around southern NH and chatting with antique dealers.

Dinner was my usual Friday night steak tip with Ballymaloe steak sauce (which looked rather unappetizing after plating, so I included a close-up of a slice), a half of a large baked tater with TPSTOB&SC, and roasted Brussels sprouts with a mango-balsamic glaze drizzled over top.

Wine. Day 1 of 6 days off done.

24 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Inspired by @honkman’s previous post, dinner was kiymali ispanak with lamb, spinach and kale. While the pot bubbled with the rice, I made a quick yogurt naan to go with it.

19 Likes

I made Spring Puttanesca pasta for dinner. I used square spaghetti and asparagus instead of the linguine and arugula. Little Gem and radicciho salad with radishes, red onion, parm, oo&&v dressing, garlic toast.

.https://www.foodandwine.com/spring-puttanesca-pasta-7483415

17 Likes

Continuing with small plates… BF made a pan-seared, lemon/thyme chicken breast which we split, a small roasted potato each, sauteed spinach, and a side of Rancho Gordo vaquero beans simmered in my massa de pimentao - so many uses! and tomatoes too… happy Friday, y’all! there will be cocktails later and they sure AF won’t be small. :smiley:

18 Likes

WFD last night was nothing, after I fell asleep jet lagged and exhausted (but also stuffed from a wandering lunch in Flushing Chinatown).

Tonight I ate some lunch leftovers of my first try at Pad See Ew (using fresh ho fun from said Chinatown trip), then got around to cooking my planned dinner of Bengali-ish mustard salmon (which in its current incarnation is sharp mustard mixed with green chilli mustard pickle plus mustard oil, slathered over salmon which is then slow-roasted, and then finished with lemon juice) which I ate with rice+quinoa and garlic spinach (both leftover from the other night).

22 Likes