What's For Dinner #93 - the Grow Grow Grow Your Garden Edition - May 2023

It was difficult trying to enjoy this amazing brisket while watching that sh*t-show of a hockey game. But anyway, this old family recipe has gradually been modified over the years and tonight reached its greatest form. The brisket was rubbed with Lawry’s, garlic and onion powders, ground pepper, onion soup mix, and brown sugar. It was then placed into a slow-cooker and covered with a bottle of beer (we normally use a generic like Budweiser but tonight I used one of BF’s IPAs we had on hand and it really made a difference with a more pronounced flavor), Worcestershire sauce, mustard, balsamic vinegar, and a diced onion. Cooked on high for nine hours. That gravy was liquid gold.

There was a martini.

24 Likes

Potato and leek soup

19 Likes

We must have been separated at birth … :joy_cat:

1 Like

I wish I knew the secret. It just disappeared since the last summer. We used to have a shit ton of wild oregano, too. Poof. Maybe the flora around us finally learned its lesson :wink:

1 Like

Celebrated a bit of fabulous news (negative biopsy, no spread) yesterday by heading to a favorite small plates place in town, as the gay bar doesn’t serve food on Mondays.

I didn’t want to risk being served shrimp atop a fryer oil slick again, so I got my other favorites from the menu: chargrilled oysters with leek butter & smoked lamb lollipops with slaw and jalapeño coins. A Calvados 75 to warsh it all down. Nightcap(s) at the gay bar that was quieter than usual.

35 Likes

Pollo guisado with a ton of sauteed veggies: cabbage, cilantro, onions, garlic, green garlic, carrots, green beans, poblano pepper, jalapeno, and potatoes, then added Sazon, smoked paprika, cumin, a little tomato paste, oregano, and bay leaf, and homemade chicken stock. Wished it had stayed a little more brothy, but i made it yesterday afternoon and the potatoes sucked up some of it. Still, super homey goodness. on the side, my chicken bouillon rice, BF’s salsa fresca, and a dollop of crema brought it all together. Leftovers for another night.

20 Likes

This looks freaking amazing! :heart:

2 Likes

BEST. NEWS. EVER! :champagne: :clinking_glasses: :tada: :hearts:

8 Likes

Watching tv while eating is not good for your digestion!

2 Likes

Depends on the show. Our go-to for dinner at the kitchen counter (we fancy like that) is the Simpsons. Or a cooking/food program :slight_smile:

Yaaaay! Congratulations on the good news!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!! A negative biopsy years ago led to a complete career career change for me.

3 Likes

Thank you! It was yum. :yum:

1 Like

Hallelujah!

3 Likes

Watching the Rangers isn’t good for anything! :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Great news indeed, worthy of celebration, so glad to hear it!!!

2 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Dinner tonight was a Thai green curry with chicken, red pepper strips, and bok choy. Rice noodles on the side.

15 Likes

Tonight’s dinner equals the coloration of the day: gray skies, hard downpouring rain for (literally) 10-15 seconds, sun a few minutes later, more gray stormy clouds, then another downpour…All. Day. Long. :cloud::cloud_with_rain::sun_behind_small_cloud: Meanwhile, the grass is getting greener and trees are budding. So that’s a :heavy_plus_sign:

Dinner was Hamburger Stroganoff (gray clouds) over egg noodles (sun) with peas and parsley (grass and trees).

Yeah, I know I’m stretching the weather/food metaphors, but it’s what came to mind as I was plating and debating taking a picture of what is often known as S.O.S. This pic was not quite so horrible, so I’ll subject you to it as well.

20230502_192617

23 Likes

YAY!!! So glad to hear!

1 Like