What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Do you feel like they come out better than just in the regular oven? We tend to make more fries than our air-fryer fits, so we just throw them on a baking sheet at 420˚ for about 25 minutes. I like mine crispy.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that they are better, no. At least not in some remarkable way. Baked frozen fries do come out crispier but they just have a taste about them where I can tell they were baked. The air-fryer eliminates that (maybe it’s just me), and also keeps the temperature down in the house.

3 Likes

Your spinach looks spectacular! That color. I don’t know about where you are, but where we are this is the best time to eat spinach.

1 Like

Fantastic. Yum.

I understand what you mean. For me it’s textural - the baked ones get kind of powdery and dry inside and a bit dehydrated on the surface.

1 Like

Yes! We are in the thick of spinach season here in the PNW. I’ve stopped planting new spinach starts, as by the time they mature it will be too warm. The plants we have going now, however, will keep us in spinach until the aphids attack sometime in May. Enjoy while you can!

3 Likes

Not the Lamb Weston fries we use. Perfectly crispy on the outside, and fluffy potato-y on the inside. Try them some time.

1 Like

Yes, actually, that’s exactly it.

1 Like

BISO chicken thighs seasoned with s/p, Penzeys Old World seasoning, and roasted in the convection oven.

Basmati rice with buttered tarragon peas and corn.

Wine.

20 Likes

Rough day at work, so despite my desire to take advantage of the evening to make hot and sour soup with glass noodles and be a responsible human being and get caught up on paper work from work, I ordered an antipasto plate from local outfit, The Chateau, and proceeded to get after some fine boxed rosé. No pics of the antipasto, although it was lovely (and included their very good scali bread), but here’s the wine in progress:

20 Likes

Pork chops, also due to the tough pork chops discussion. Seasoned on both sides with Montreal Chicken Seasoning, and cooked in a thin swirl of olive oil, 4 minutes per side over medium heat. Measured as 146 degrees (safe temp) when I put the on a plate to rest while I made a pan sauce by added a pat of butter and generous glug of white wine to the skillet. Simmered a minute or two to reduce, readded the chops and turned them to coat. I left them in the pan while I finished tossing salad and brought cooked asparagus to the table.
Chops were still barely pink in the center, tender and flavorful.

15 Likes

I haven’t seen them here, or I would!

I had to stop buying those big boxes of that one because they were far too quaffable in the summer.

6 Likes

Homemade sweet-cherry vareniki from the freezer. Carrots in vinaigrette.

15 Likes

The 500ml is equally quaffable!

2 Likes

I made meatloaf with apple butter-barbecue glaze, roasted CSA carrots, buttermilk riced Russet potatoes, and butter greens and sugar snap peas with maple balsamic vinaigrette. Not bad for cooking on one leg (he plated).

21 Likes

I feel validated that you also like something so pedestrian :rofl::rofl::rofl:. I don’t know that it’s good good, but it’s definitely crushable.

1 Like

If you like it, it’s good (to you and who cares about others?). I’ve lost count of the number of things others might think are pedestrian at this point that I like! Boxed wine, frozen tater tots, Kraft singles. A whole sleeve of Pringles. Ranch…things… The heart (and stomach) wants what it wants!

9 Likes

I’ve “quaffed” straight out of the box, but never thought to put a straw in there. Doh!! Like that brand for boxed.

2 Likes

Capri Sun for adults!

4 Likes