What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Dinner Tonight: Chopped cheese, in the style of a Philly cheese steak. Pinot Noir for me and DIPA for him.

I have decided that I like a 2:2:1 ratio of beef to each vegetable to cheese.

14 Likes

Pretty sure that’s not what the little piggy is thinking.

2 Likes

Well, if it is thinking anything at all at this point, I’d be more than a little concerned!

2 Likes

This will make our friend’s head just yummilicious!

11 Likes

I can tell by the way you’re holding it close to your heart :laughing:.

Working on clearing out the upstairs freezer. So Turkey Chili with a half breast of turkey from Thanksgiving was what was pulled out, along with some mashed ginger-maple sweet potatoes.

I made my now-favorite turkey chili: sautéed chopped onions, red bell pepper, and minced garlic, added some chili powder and cumin, continued to sauté. Added 2 cans of kidney beans (used Borlotti beans this time…a.k.a. cranberry or Roman beans…because no kidney beans in my pantry), some canned chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, 3 cups of leftover T’giving chopped turkey, and a bit of chicken stock.

Finally, added about 1 cup or so of mashed cooked sweet potatoes as a thickener.

Simmer, simmer, simmer, seasoned with dried oregano and some more salt & pepper.

Served on elbow noodles with grated Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream on top (sprinkled some minced parsley this time as well).

Wine.

And I don’t think Finny is using the new scratching post the right way. :wink:

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner - Pairing fast food with Probiotics, Antioxidant, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Digestible Enzyme, Apple Cider Vinegar and Metamucil Soluble Fiber before and after the meal!

It’s been a while since I had a meal consisting of nothing but ’ Junk Food '! Tagging along with my kids, that’s what we ended with:

First, excellent thin crust pizzas from ’ Maker, Thornhill ’ ( Cheese and Cheese & Pepperoni )…the latter incorporated an interesting unique touch with sesame seed and honey added onto the crust edge. A first for me and surprisingly enjoyable…except the presence of the sticky honey rendered the eating process extra messy. Agree with most ‘Pizza Critics’ that this is one of the best pizza joints

in town!

This was followed by Fried chicken, Palabok ( rice vermicelli with a savory, garlicky, shrimp and minced meat sauce ) Spaghetti with sweet Filipino red sauce and Peach and Mango Pie from ’ Jollibee '. The packed place and long line a reflection of the excellence of the good value and tasty food.

What a fun evening with the kids!

13 Likes

White pizza with an oregano-garlic bechamel, three cheeses, fresh basil, leftover scallion chicken, and asparagus. Served with torn spinach leaves in vinaigrette, and more fresh basil.

Anything green from the garden.

20 Likes

I prefer the pencil-thin variety of asparagus so would have been happy. I see that @ChristinaM
already mentioned the method of snapping the stalks where they bend. That method is reliable for me, but
YMM (and does)V.

3 Likes

When I make an Arrabiata, I make an Arrabiata.

Scungili with a few jumbo shrimp over linguine. Heat level is :fire:.

There was a martini to drink. Extra olives. It all tasted better with a Rangers win.

21 Likes

I could see the flames starting in that first pic!

3 Likes

Maybe I went a little overboard on the pepper. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

There is no such thing as overboard :wink: That arrabiata sauce looks awesome.

1 Like

I never though about adding sweet potatoes to chili. What a great idea.

2 Likes

My first night out in over a week! We went to catch a singer/songwriter friend’s show at a newish brew pub that serves beer, booch, and cocktails. The German pilsener was a pretty bland affair, as was the IPA my PIC ordered after. I had them booze up their grapefruit booch with Bluecoat gin. It was ok.

Before the gig we’d grabbed a falafel plate at the Lebanese place next door we hadn’t been to in eons, and it was surprisingly good. 6 small falafel ballz that came with baba ghanoush, hummus, tabbouleh, and lavash. My only criticism would be that their hot sauce is Valentina’s, as I think a ME hot sauce would be more congruent. Also, something resembling tableware that’s not made of styrofoam would be lovely.

Show was great, and my friend’s final song before we left made me cry https://www.pbs.org/video/hannah-bingman-adwsti/

14 Likes

That’s always been my method, and it works for me on both the thin and thicker stalks.

1 Like

I made chicken clay pot rice drawing inspiration from NYT and The Woks of Life. Served with some dark variety of bok choy from our CSA stir-fried with garlic and ginger. Radish and carrot quick pickle.

19 Likes

Love the dish, and yours looks great! What pot did you use? (I usually use my small stovetop pc without the pressure, as it seals really well and retains heat, but I’ve been eyeing different clay and ceramic pots for years.)

1 Like

I used my enameled cast iron, and that worked well. Started on the stovetop and finished in the oven. Could have cooked it 5-10 min less. I really liked Ko’s drizzle of black vinegar-soy sauce-sugar.

1 Like

The maple-ginger mash I make adds a nice slight sweet heat to the chili.

1 Like