What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

A spring-green dinner from the garden. Scallion roast chicken. Baby peas with tarragon. Roasted asparagus. Leftover Irish champ.

21 Likes

Dumplings again, but this time from a nearby Dumpling Club, where you order online and get a date for pick-up - i ordered almost 2 weeks ago - and they come frozen. these were just the plain pork wontons, and tho their recommendation is to steam, the BF really wanted to do the pan fry-then-steam method he does on his own dumplings. the shape of these made that difficult, more conducive to just steaming, and the tops were a little tough, thick skinned. as for taste, they were good, but honestly, the BF’s are better. (even mine are better most of the time, though not as pretty.) The BF’s veggie stir-fry of shrooms, red peppers, carrots, cabbage, green garlic, and scallions, and jasmine rice, on the side.

i’d also ordered shrimp & pork dumplings, and i’m taking those to my sister’s tomorrow so we’ll try them pan-fried. if they aren’t a lot better than these, we’ll probably not go back, since we can make our own. But, i did get this super-cute dish towel!

24 Likes

Rice with furikake, air fryer karaage, takuan, cucumber sunomono, broccolini and tomato with sesame dressing.

22 Likes

Panko breaded and fried calamari steak and tartar sauce. Sauteed asparagus, red pepper and shallots in butter and aleppo pepper. Little Gem and radicchio salad with green onion, cherry tomato, cucumber, creamy Greek dressing.

20 Likes

nice job on that tempura! looks crispy and light…

2 Likes

Tonight: NYC HO Group dinner in Chinatown. Delicious. I am so stuffed.

Last night: More catching up with friends, but at home for a change of pace.

My tummy wasn’t at its best, which might have been a result of the mustard salmon I made for lunch. (Such a beautiful piece of salmon, I really felt betrayed when my tummy started rumbling a short while later…)

They had specially made Coq au Vin, so I popped some tummy medicine and went on with the evening. We ate it with baguette and roasted cauliflower.

For entertainment, their relatively recent college grad son (who’s quit his job and is traveling the world but home for a bit) told me stories of his travels (and also about his plans for the summer and fall, which don’t involve a full-time job much to his father’s chagrin :rofl:) and strummed the electric guitar he’s been teaching himself for a while. I rocked this boy as a screaming baby, so it’s all kind of adorable.

No dessert, because we forgot, and by the time anyone remembered I was at the door. So I had some chocolate-covered digestives when I got home. Yummy.

18 Likes

i need this in my life

my anemia is calling

4 Likes

I’ll pass, respectfully…

1 Like

The wings are my favorite part of a roasted chicken. Your dinner looks amazing!

1 Like

Oh, thank you! Actually, my favorite part is the breast. Since those are so much easier to deal with as leftovers, however, we tend to eat the dark meat first. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Mussels and fries

16 Likes

This is going to be dinner …

9 Likes

F*ck yeah!

1 Like

Dinner Tonight: Chopped cheese, in the style of a Philly cheese steak. Pinot Noir for me and DIPA for him.

I have decided that I like a 2:2:1 ratio of beef to each vegetable to cheese.

14 Likes

Pretty sure that’s not what the little piggy is thinking.

2 Likes

Well, if it is thinking anything at all at this point, I’d be more than a little concerned!

2 Likes

This will make our friend’s head just yummilicious!

11 Likes

I can tell by the way you’re holding it close to your heart :laughing:.

Working on clearing out the upstairs freezer. So Turkey Chili with a half breast of turkey from Thanksgiving was what was pulled out, along with some mashed ginger-maple sweet potatoes.

I made my now-favorite turkey chili: sautéed chopped onions, red bell pepper, and minced garlic, added some chili powder and cumin, continued to sauté. Added 2 cans of kidney beans (used Borlotti beans this time…a.k.a. cranberry or Roman beans…because no kidney beans in my pantry), some canned chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, 3 cups of leftover T’giving chopped turkey, and a bit of chicken stock.

Finally, added about 1 cup or so of mashed cooked sweet potatoes as a thickener.

Simmer, simmer, simmer, seasoned with dried oregano and some more salt & pepper.

Served on elbow noodles with grated Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream on top (sprinkled some minced parsley this time as well).

Wine.

And I don’t think Finny is using the new scratching post the right way. :wink:

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner - Pairing fast food with Probiotics, Antioxidant, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Digestible Enzyme, Apple Cider Vinegar and Metamucil Soluble Fiber before and after the meal!

It’s been a while since I had a meal consisting of nothing but ’ Junk Food '! Tagging along with my kids, that’s what we ended with:

First, excellent thin crust pizzas from ’ Maker, Thornhill ’ ( Cheese and Cheese & Pepperoni )…the latter incorporated an interesting unique touch with sesame seed and honey added onto the crust edge. A first for me and surprisingly enjoyable…except the presence of the sticky honey rendered the eating process extra messy. Agree with most ‘Pizza Critics’ that this is one of the best pizza joints

in town!

This was followed by Fried chicken, Palabok ( rice vermicelli with a savory, garlicky, shrimp and minced meat sauce ) Spaghetti with sweet Filipino red sauce and Peach and Mango Pie from ’ Jollibee '. The packed place and long line a reflection of the excellence of the good value and tasty food.

What a fun evening with the kids!

13 Likes