What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Check, check, check, check, and check. Add Oreo Thins (especially the dark chocolate variety), Haribo gummy bears, Cheetos, Velveeta, Pocky, and a whole slew of other processed foods to that list for me :rofl:. I love exposing my kiddo to the whole world of food (and it’s a fun excuse to buy less “sophisticated” stuff); I trust he will come to appreciate the good stuff, too, since he has access to it.

This would be a fun spin-off thread (not so unlike the fast food threads).

10 Likes

Your cocktail accompaniments, like @BeefeaterRocks, are always on theme and on point.

1 Like

There’s something about white beans and shrimp. The beans seem to soak up the flavor of the shrimp and become little soft nuggets of shrimp.

1 Like

This might have been my best rendition of the recipe so far. I usually cheat with BTB chicken broth I simmer a few shrimp shells in. But I’d collected enough to make an actual stock base :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They do make an amazingly delicious stock in short order!

1 Like

Dinner tonight was Italian — or perhaps more accurately Italian-American.

I made Spinach-Artichoke Pasta and Chicken Diablo to accompany for the meat-eaters.

The pasta was “light” by mom’s request — so a lighter béchamel instead of cream or cream cheese, and much less cheese than any recipe would deem acceptable. I used TJ’s grilled tapas-style artichokes because they needed using up, and they taste pretty much the same as marinated artichokes in a jar. Pasta turned out well despite the tweaks, thankfully.

I played with the Chicken Diablo a bit and used caramelized onions in addition to the garlic and chilli oil. Very, very tasty, especially when everything dried up at the end and the onions caramelized further with the chicken fat.

23 Likes

Looks awesome!

3 Likes

Thanks! It was tasty.

Lighter take worked out well for us, but if someone had been expecting spinach artichoke dip with a bit of pasta, they might have been disappointed :rofl:

1 Like

I would like your version here better.

2 Likes

I had to look up what a Vieux Carré was. Yummm! It sounds delicious.

1 Like

This was lunch, because I’m sure dinner will be something easy. My husband grilled brats and cauliflower, the latter of which I dressed with chopped kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, toasted breadcrumbs, and chopped hazelnuts. We also had a green CSA salad with lemon dressing.

17 Likes

If it’s good, it’s good.

1 Like

Where did our lovely summer like weather go! Cool, raw day here outside of Boston. So, dinner tonight is Pot au Feu, adapted from the Le Bernardin cookbook. I’m going to use the leftovers for a few other dishes this week, too!

21 Likes

Perfect meal for our gray day in this area!

1 Like

That was totally my thought! I want our warm weather back!

2 Likes

Roasted asparagus, sauteed pancetta and caramelized onion quiche with Monterey Jack and Pepper Jack cheeses. Freshly grated nutmeg, dried thyme, s/p, and freshly minced parsley were the herbs and spices. Blind bake on the Pillsbury crust.

Forgot to add the onions to the egg mixture so “sprinkling” on top worked out.

Salad was Little Leaf lettuce, sliced radishes and red bell pepper and grape tomatoes with Target Honey-Mustard dressing.

Wine.

22 Likes

Leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes with a green salad. Even better leftover!

14 Likes

Enjoyed the last unseasonally warm day (before temps return to somewhat normal) by checking out a new brewery in town. Delish Belgian ale and a brown ale for my PIC.

Dinner was Greek-style marinated BL country-style pork ribs & zukes with feta, sumac, oregano. Haven’t tired of that yet. Made tzatziki, too, but you know what that looks like :wink:

17 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner with our friends at La Lupa in Manalapan, NJ, including Snake River Farms American wagyu skirt steak, 48 day dry aged KC strip; black bass; crispy cacio e pepe potatoes; warm brownies with hazelnut ice cream. It all went great with some excellent red wines. I apologize for the quality of the photos. It was really dark in the restaurant and it was hard to get any decent photos. Most of them were blurry. I did the best I could with them.

14 Likes

Leftover meatloaf is one of my Top 10’s

4 Likes