What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Shredded carrots, air fried shoestring potatoes, crushed peanuts and coconut yogurt dressing

20 Likes

Sous vide cod with braised oyster mushrooms and green garlic. Wasabi greens with egg sauce. Egg sauce = not my strong suit, but working on it.

16 Likes

Thank you! He really does magic with lamb, and I’m glad there’s more from our share in the freezer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel you, as we are on a string of 45-50 degree days, plus rain. And wind. Hurry up spring! However, I’m not at all jealous of 90. 90 is torture. Give me a good 70-75 and that is perfection.

4 Likes

Growing up, Catalina dressing - the slightly upmarket version of orange French - was always in our fridge and on our table. I’m not sure I knew there was any other kind of dressing besides that, “Italian,” and blue cheese.

5 Likes

Pizza night, postponed from the weekend, now that the oven outlet is fixed.

We had four pies tonight:

1. Mushroom, (beyond) italian sausage, spring onions, red onions
  2. Mushroom, red onions, olives
  3. Pink: Red onions and Robiola
  4. White: truffle bechamel, Robiola, and mixed mushrooms

My favorite was the first, because that’s my standard topping selection, and it was in good balance tonight (I have been known to go overboard on toppings).

Mom surprised me by picking the white pizza as her favorite (I gave her a small slice just to try, she is not usually a a big fan or white or pesto based pizzas, though she’ll eat them for variety).

Almost forgot that we also had a hot teatime snack today: Batatawadas. Didn’t seem to affect anyone’s appetite for pizza, though

23 Likes

Paleta ibérica on french baguette

21 Likes

Yum

Keeping it simple tonight with some leftover artic char and green salad tacos (with roasted serrano chiles and garlic, because that’s how I roll).

18 Likes

Are they like boondas?

I made chicken tacos al pastor in the IP at my kiddo’s request (demand?). They were pretty good. No sides. I had veg at lunch.

16 Likes

Prepared a simple and easy Asparagus side dish using a touch of Japanese approach…an aromatic and delicious end result!!

" Add washed Asparagus to garlic infused EVOO/Butter in a skillet. Cover and steamed-cook at medium low heat for 4 minutes. Add mixture of Yuzu, Mirin and Sake and cover for an additional 1 minute. Finish off with a small chunk of butter. Top with crispy garlic chips! Super tasty!! " 😋😁👌

19 Likes

Looks and sounds delish! Do you make your own garlic chips?

Yes! Part of making the garlic infused EVOO/Butter process. Used drained oil for cooking the asparagus. Spread out cooked garlic slices to cool and crisp up. Then use as toppings/condiments for cooked asparagus.

5 Likes

Thanks for this info - I just love asparagus season!

3 Likes

A delicious New York Times recipe for white Bolognese with lamb and spring veg. I’ve made this one several times before – always a hit.

Spinach, peas and rosemary from the garden.

20 Likes

Tuesday-Wednesday has been my “weekend” for the last few months. And even so, I’ve usually had lectures on my days off. Today? Nothing. Tomorrow? Nothing! Temps hit 80 today and all I wanted from the day was to have a Martini with a view of the ocean. Hard to beat that, unless that Martini is in a coupe. BF had Chardonnay. We shared the Parmesan pretzel sticks and Burrata salad with grilled chicken. As the sun dipped, the temperature maintained. Truly a beautiful evening.

We then headed to one more spot, a dive bar with a pool table, for an additional round and snacks. I haven’t played pool in years. Amazing how that muscle memory never quite leaves you (shhhh! I won both games :grinning:).

23 Likes

Tomorrow I go food shopping. Today, I have a bagel with (the last of the) smoked trout, (the last of the) tomatoes, (the last of the) cucumbers and (the last of the) spring garlic greens. Oh, and (the last of the) cauliflower. Onward and upward!

21 Likes

Stew with ground beef, butternut squash, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, diced tomatoes, dried apricots, berf broth and cilantro. Served over basmati rice and with some raita (cucumber, yoghurt)

16 Likes

Ground chistorra, shaved cured egg yolk and mint leaves

17 Likes