What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Is it wrong just to have dessert for dinner?
If it is, then color me wrong.

21 Likes

You just blew my mind, in a good way.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss but what a beautiful picture of him you paint.

7 Likes

It looks like matzoh ball soup, or mbs at my house!

4 Likes

Absolutely, positively NOT WRONG!!

4 Likes

Mr Bean became infatuated with a sautéed liver, onion and jalapeño dish we recently had at a new Turkish restaurant. I decided to see if I could find something similar. My favorite source of Turkish recipes, Ozlem’s Turkish Table, didn’t have the exact dish but Ciger Tava seemed close enough. Bite-sized pieces of calves liver were sautéed with sliced jalapeños and served atop a salad of red onions, parsley, ground sumac, salt and pepper. I added a shot of lemon juice and a touch of olive oil. It was pretty close and the onions were delicious.

24 Likes

These were made Saturday night using Chain Baker’s biga-based pizza dough recipe.

I’ve made it twice now. The first time was fantastic but this time was merely very good - the edge crust didn’t turn out a poofy as last time, but otherwise (flavor, bottom of crust, etc.) it was the same.

This time I had doubled the recipe to make 4 pies, but I don’t think that was the problem. I got the dough up to the point of the final rise step earlier in the day so I shaped the balls and stuck them in the fridge for several hours (which he says is fine, up to 18 hours). I gave them about 100 minutes out of the fridge and think I over-proofed them.

Still, like I said very good and everyone enjoyed. Toppings (besides shredded whole milk mozz and fresh mozz chunks) included pepperoni, sun dried tomatoes, black olives, and (all sautéed) sweet onions, baby spinach, and mushrooms, with a sprinkle of oregano.

For some reason I don’t recall right now (wine was involved) I photo’d two of them pre-baked and the other two post-baked. Wish I’d photo’d the first 2 as post-baked because their edge crusts turned out the best. Oh well.

The 3d one shown above is way out-of-round on purpose as a tribute to one my daughter and I put together several years ago, before she decided she needed to avoid gluten:

Tonight is spoon lamb aka gigot de sept heures. I’m breaking tradition by essentially turning it into a pot roast. The last 2 hours I add additional carrots, baby taters, more onions, and mushrooms. It’s a bit of a process at the end because I have to dig all of the last-added veggies out and set aside - those carrots/onions/etc. that were put in originally get drained from the liquid and pureed, then mixed back into the defatted liquid as a sauce or (if I thicken it) a gravy. Hopefully I’ll remember to get a photo or two.

21 Likes

Momentarily delurking to post this apropos NYer cartoon.

11 Likes

The New Yorker’s version of TPSTOB. :wink:

4 Likes

Pasta with fennel and sausage red sauce. I would not normally post such a pedestrian (though tasty) dinner except that when I was stirring it together I remembered a red sauce pasta I had at Pammy’s in Cambridge which had gochujang. So I stirred in a teaspoon and I have to say, that took it to the next level. Try it sometime!!

20 Likes

Oh, my!! How decadent.

1 Like

House-ground cheeseburgers & fries :yum:

22 Likes

I made Impossible Meatballs in a Greek-style tomato sauce, served over ww orzo with a sprinkle of feta. Snow pea and sugar snap peas salad with red wine vinaigrette and roasted acorn squash. My son LOVED the latter and ate both veg, actually. :raised_hands:t2:

25 Likes

Reminded me of a dish I used to enjoy at a now-closed Lebanese restaurant: sautéed chicken livers with a pomegranate sauce. It was great.

2 Likes

That sounds delicious. I love pomegranates. I bet this would be good with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses, which I also love. Next time!

My turn for Zuppa Tuscana, a mash-up of several versions found online.

I used mild Italian sausage, bacon, kale and added cannellini beans to the mix. I had one, lone asparagus spear, and threw that in, too. It’s a nice soup. It works to take it easy on the cream, but don’t skimp on the paprika and chili flakes – they make the dish.

Served with homemade Italian stirato bread.

Spuds, shallots, kale, beans and asparagus from our garden.

19 Likes

Sea cucumber soup with Napa cabbage, mustard greens, tomatoes and crimini mushrooms.

12 Likes

the dhaniya chicken curry turned out great, except it needed a little salt, and maybe a dollop of yogurt, but I’d used it all in the marinade, so crema had to sub and did a fine job, especially since Mexican sour cream is a little salty anyway. All the freshly ground spices in this really shone - coriander, cloves, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel - plus all the cilantro and ginger. we wolfed it down.

22 Likes

Really good smoky chicken salad from one of Diane Henry’s cookbooks - chicken breast marinated for 24 hours in a mixture of orange juice, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, dry vermouth, five spice powder, crushed cardamom, garlic and orange zest - then broiled in the oven. Mixed with baby spinach, mizuna, oven roasted red peppers, briefly cooked snap peas, sautéed shiitake mushrooms and cilantro. Served with a vinaigrette made from the concentrated marinade, olive oil, lime juice and some honey.

17 Likes

No, isn’t that is where ‘eat dessert first’ comes from? I’m too full from dessert to have dinner!