What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

In an effort to reduce Sunshine’s high cholesterol number, I made a lentil and vegetable soup. I cleaned out all of the vegetables in the crisper that needed to be used. Celery, carrots, onions and mushrooms joined the lentils in my “throw together” soup.
Initially, Sunshine complained about the lack of meat, but after a few spoonfuls enjoyed her dinner.

19 Likes

Lentil soup is one of my favourite soups and a great way to finish up leftover veggies. Glad to hear Sunshine liked your iteration.

3 Likes

Lentil soup is a favorite at this Sunshine’s house, too.

3 Likes

Sounds tasty and I’m always looking for b/s chicken recipes. Do you by chance have a recipe link?

For similar reasons we’ve mostly swapped vegetable margarine for butter. I can highly recommend Miyokos cultured oat milk butter - my DH prefers it over butter, in fact. I’m not quite there but it is very, very good. Oat-based cereals are another dietary change that’s pretty easy.

4 Likes

We had friends over for an impromptu dinner after a playdate (kids - mine, anyway - were completely melting down). I made eggplant Parmesan sammies with fresh mozz and basil on ciabatta. They were delicious with a side salad. Unfortunately mine fell off the cantilevered baking sheet :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Kids had sauced chicken-cheese ravioli and veggies with dip.

23 Likes

Pibil pork tacos

20 Likes

That’s a great idea! He doesn’t use sauces like that on his food but I could incorporate it into the dish before serving and see if he likes it more next time. I thought it was lovely and would definitely recommend it.

Thank you @LindaWhit ! I think it’s great for all mushroom lovers :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve made them several times, and they always come out juicy. I got the idea here. I use my own spice mix, and take them to about 155 degrees before resting:

1 T. chili powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. smokey paprika
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper

It’s a lot easier to make the rub in big batches, and keep it around in a jar. That way you can just scoop out what you need when you need it. Two frankenbreasts, split, take about 2 T. of rub.

7 Likes

Wait, you had another child?

No, the other was the playdate friend.

I will be making, thank you!

1 Like

There is actually surprisingly little clinical evidence that such changes have a meaningful effect

My bad.

Here you go, from left to right (trio of shrimp)

Fried shrimp with habanero sauce, broiled shrimp with chimichurri, grilled shrimp with teriyaki sauce, all over a bed of cabbage, and a side of chips and guac.

4 Likes

Very true.

What seems to be proven, time and again, is the less processed your fats, the healthier they are for you.

1 Like

That is my goal… to lower Sunshine’s cholesterol through diet along with the medication the doctor prescribed to her.

I am going to make a “low” cholesterol Orange chicken dish on Sunday.

Next week, I want to experiment with making “lentil burgers”. I’m already picturing an “epic fail”, but I have to try.

2 Likes

Applaud your efforts as always.

Re lentil burgers, I doubt you’ll have a fail. And an aside, I really enjoy black bean and quinoa burgers if you want to give those a shot.

Lentils are delicious to me in all forms (check out mujadara / mejadara if you haven’t come across it yet – one pot lentils and rice or bulgur flavored with caramelized onions and whole spices: so tasty!)

Pretty sure we have a couple of threads around here on beans, lentils, and so on. I’ll link them if I can, otherwise a search for the term in the thread title should work.

4 Likes

Great Idea!! I’ll add some black beans to the lentil mixture. Sunshine and I are doing our “BIG” grocery shopping tomorrow, so I added them to the list.
Thank you so much!!

2 Likes

6 Likes

Dinner tonight was homemade pizza. Purchased base, homemade sauce.

Toppings:

• (beyond) sausage, mushroom, and onion with cheddar
  • mushroom with truffle robiola and mozzarella
  • white pizza with truffle robiola, with mushrooms and mozzarella

Semi-successful in that the pizzas turned out great, but mom ate a less than ideal amount of dinner even though she picked pizza over several other choices. Tomorrow’s a new day.

18 Likes