What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Chickpeas and mushrooms, in the style of chorizo, in tacos, with roasted zucchini and more mushrooms!

18 Likes

Yep - I converted from one of those. Just FYI, InstantPots are fully dishwasher safe, too.

1 Like

I made chipotle-poached salmon (rubbed, broiled, then simmered in a sauce of tomato, chipotle en adobo, garlic, bay leaf, smoked paprika, etc), which we used in tacos. Pretty tasty, but I guess not a repeat for my DH. He only ate two.

15 Likes

Had to go with soft foods since a tiny wedge of a front tooth decided to flake off this morning totally out of the blue. I have an appt tomorrow morning for the dentist to fix.

Luckily I had already decided on Fettuccine Carbonara with Peas for dinner, and picked up some fish and chips for lunch today from the restaurant next door to my workplace.

I had to add a slice of chopped thick-cut bacon, as I didn’t have enough pancetta. They’re both pig, so it worked. One egg yolk, one whole egg, 2/3 cup grated Parm-Reg, a pinch of freshly ground pepper, and added pasta water was the sauce. Topped with the peas, more pepper, parsley and Parm-Reg, and dinnah was served.

Ohhh, there was wine.

22 Likes

I didn’t know that… Thanks!!

Greg, dude, I like your style and thinking. And no, this “supermarket sushi” has never given us any problems.

1 Like

Perfect pasta & sorry about the toof.

1 Like

Jumping on the taco train with some carnitas tacos with guacamole.

20 Likes

Dinner tonight was a pan fried pork chop and coleslaw.

14 Likes

Roasted Alaskan halibut filets with Yukon potatoes, green beans, and a Meyer lemon sauce.

Spuds, lemons and beans from our garden.

20 Likes

Several months ago I was flossing my teeth and a 20 year old cap that I had never given a second thought to suddenly popped out. I was in a state of shock. I didn’t know such a thing could happen. Got in that day to have it put back in And every once in a blue moon I feel a crunch when eating. I’m like I hope that was freshly cracked black pepper. I’ll tell ya something. Teeth can surprise you when you least expect it.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a sandwich with grilled chicken, Provolone, and roasted red peppers. No pics.

Tonight was Chinese takeout-- first time in a while as we have really toned it down. Long day for me, longer day for BF, and the prospect of no dishes was appealing. No pics either.

Bombay Martinis with both.

Our cat Lawrence finally had a visit from Vet on the Go two days ago. He’s had a difficult few weeks but now he is on a new medication and has a special diet we’re trying (that unfortunately does not allow for Costco rotisserie chicken-- his favorite).

The cost of his new food is at :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: levels. A quote from the 1976 movie The Shootist comes to mind: “It’s costing us a lot of money keeping you alive so you can die naturally.” But almost instantly, he seems in better health. Hope it works. I’ve lost so much in the last few years, he needs to give me at least another year or two!

27 Likes

Sichuan jour fixe with the usual suspects :yum:

19 Likes

Interestingly, I’ve noticed that in our groceries, for basic rolls like california, cuke, or avo, one tray of rolls costs more, typically, than if you ordered the same thing in a restaurant. And the restaurant quality is almost uniformly better. But you can’t beat the convenience of the grocery. And one those once a week “sushi” special days, the prices are ok. To give an example, my grocery pick is usually the CA roll, and 12 small rolls are typically $8 or 9 for the tray.

1 Like

Me too! I don’t like salmon except smoked (hot and cold) and I don’t really publicize because they would revoke my Washington card.

4 Likes

Speaking of the plating thread… Your dishes are always beautiful.

3 Likes

Thank you! I have fun with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is interesting. I think maybe I haven’t been paying attention to price creep/inflation at the grocery. The stuff I posted above is 2 “cheap day” rolls (the tuna and the salmon rolls) at $6/ea., and these are smaller than the serving when it’s not “cheap day” (I think they run 12 pieces then, but not positive - but the box is smaller). The shrimp and poke’ rolls were not included in the cheap day deal and I think were about $11 each.

I just bounced these prices off an online menu at a decent local chain place. Assuming the menu is up-to-date (no way to be certain), I’ve been kind of fooling myself about saving much by buying at the grocery. But it is close and convenient.

The convenience I think is the reason we still buy grocery sushi. I’ve known about the prices for awhile. But sitting in a restaurant and ordering sushi, or even frankly getting takeout, is much more of a to-do. That said, if I were getting tuna or salmon cut rolls instead of krab, they charge $12 for those at the grocery. !!!

1 Like

We all (except my wife) prefer raw fish sushi. I think I need to hit that “decent chain” I mentioned above and get a full palette of what we normally get. It’s really only 2 miles farther, or 4 round trip (but which here can mean 10 or 40 minutes…). I just need to decide when and time it right to make it 10 minutes instead of 40.

Thanks again for waking me up.

1 Like