What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Crab salad sliders on Kings Hawaiian rolls

21 Likes

Homemade mayo. Better than anything you can buy.

Customize to your liking.

4 Likes

YES… YES… and YES…
Thank you for the suggestion and the recipe. I have a chicken thigh, cheddar, mayo dish I make from time to time. I can’t wait to make my own mayo for that dish!!

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was a “throw together” dinner. Baked chicken breast over pasta with peas. I used cream of chicken soup as the sauce.

11 Likes

Scalloped potatoes from the local grocery. I can’t get over these . Almost every night . Reheat in a casserole dish covered with green beans . Butter added.
Oven chicken at 425 degrees for around 80 minutes. Secret ingredient. Crushed Cheetos Cheese Puffs. Cheers.

20 Likes

I made Kerala stew for lunch, and even though it’s easy, I was feeling very lazy about dinner.

So I roasted a piece of salmon using a technique from the current COTM, and used it as the protein component for bibimbap. Other components were broccoli slaw, sautéed spinach, kimchi, and ssam sauce. Base was leftover sushi rice seasoned with sesame oil.

Lazy(ish) but good.

20 Likes

After spending the afternoon at the gallery I decided to pick up some take out sushi. The gallery had an afternoon tea then a vernissage. The only items that were served during tea service was an assortment of pastries so I was hungry and too tired to cook. The sushi really hit the spot.

22 Likes

It’s Dungeness crab season here in the Bay, about $6 a pound right now at Whole Foods, cooked. I got one from there and the guy even cracked and cleaned it for me. This was about $10 worth. Ate some with just black vinegar and ginger, and the rest made into tostadas with mayonnaise, crab, avocado, and cilantro and onion.

33 Likes

I so miss it .I was gifted some . Loved it . But not the same as cooking it live.

2 Likes

I wasn’t kidding when I said there would be leftover roast beef sandwiches today. Heated it up in the gravy, melted provolone, and added tomato. If I didn’t work late tonight, I would have caramelized some onion. Tomorrow there will be chicken.

Bombay Gin up with an orange slice [again] to drink.

24 Likes

last night at my sister’s i made a Snake River double pork chop (same as I made for the BF & I for our NYE day dinner in Stinson), but for some reason the bottom of it came out totally blackened. It was actually still very tasty, juicy inside, tender, and i didn’t mind the char at all. it was just the sugar in the rub that burned. I cut my sister the half facing up so hers wasn’t burnt. She made ATK’s Caesar salad as our side, which turned out excellent. so, please look at that instead of at the burnt up pork chop. :stuck_out_tongue:

Today I made Peruvian chicken with aji verde, an old favorite, with garlicky mexi-rice and fried platanos (plantains) - very ripe ones so they were super sweet. Yum. a little side salad of endive, onion, tomatoes and avocado. but omg that sauce… could have bathed in it and died happy. I added aji amarillo to it, and a little queso fresco, plus extra jalapeno.

pic of the chicken paste - marinated for about 6.5 hours - garlic, salt, paprika, cumin, white vinegar, lime juice, olive oil. so damned good.

I also made a serious eats dish of Chinese-style braised short ribs with soy, orange, and five spice for tomorrow night’s dinner.

23 Likes

Hafechabis - traditional Swiss stew with lamb, pork, bacon and green cabbage braised in lamb broth.

18 Likes

You must be a Libra.

No… Virgo. I think they share the same thought process, though.

4 Likes

Met up with a childhood friend and my sis at the dive bar again for dinner & drinks - hey, it’s in walking distance from our hotel, what can I say? :wink:

I got the same salad with pan-seared turkey breast I’d had the previous night, but this time with added feta and sautéed mushrooms (a bit skimpy on the shrooms, unfortunately). My PIC opted for the schnitzel Wiener Art with fries. I’d suggested he should get Bratkartoffeln instead (German-style home fries), but the service staff insisted they had the best fries in town.

(behold the dressing boat!)

If those are the best fries in town, I’m not at all inclined to try anyone else’s. Yikes. The schnitzel was also pretty terrible.

Looking forward to trying a promising Turkish kebab place tonight. More drinks at the dive bar for dessert.

14 Likes

I’m guessing Virgo - being one myself!

3 Likes

I didn’t take a picture but:

On our recent trip through Napa we snagged a couple of hunks of overpriced cheese. A Beemster XO Aged Gouda (A nutty, sweet, salt/umami BOMB) and a manchego with ribbons of black truffle distributed throughout.

I should have used fresh homemade pasta, but I had some really good imported dried, so that did fine. A little butter and salt/pepper tossed with the wet pasta gave a nice silky butter sauce, and then carefully shave the manchego over top. Simple. Easy. Kinda decadent.

5 Likes

Delurking, to say that I use mine to make Greek avgolemono, egg and lemon sauce. One egg, 1/2 lemon, blend until it foams up nicely. For a sauce for seafood or chicken, you’re all done. If you’re making avgolemono soup, slowly add a cup of the prepared soup while still blending, then pour it slowly into the soup pot (or add a few tablespoons right to the soup bowls).

ETA: the one egg to 1/2 lemon is a ratio, good for about two servings. Ramp up as needed.

6 Likes

One of my favorites too, but definitely crazy-priced. I also get a locally-made Brie and truffle, more reasonably-priced but not as nice.

1 Like

My sister picked some up for us today at Costco in Albany for $4.99 a lb! that’ll be dinner tonight.

1 Like