What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Back on my giant salad bullshit.

Romaine, olives, cocktail tomatoes,
a bit of cheese, red pepper, little pickled red peppers, chopped BBQ chicken.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Sweet Potato Soup and grilled cheese. Sunshine ordered an immersion blender (for me) for Christmas, but it was on back-order until recently. After reading the instructions, I thought Sweet Potato Soup would be a good test run for it. We both enjoyed my first attempt.

25 Likes

Gorgeous.

Crab time

29 Likes

I got some in East Hampton a couple years ago and we were complaining they were $36/lb - seems quaint now. They are so sweet though, nothing like them in season.

Scant leftovers with fresh rice and a pile of roasted cauliflower that my nephew would describe as “what’s the point?” because it’s indian-spiced and tastes like a regular “sabzi”, whereas what he wants in roasted cauliflower is nothing remotely related.

Piece of orange yogurt cake for dessert, from the Baking COTQ Gateau.

20 Likes

It’s supposed to involve cilantro and fennel fronds. Neither of which I had. It’s also supposed to involve sour cream, and mine had gone off. So! Yogurt, roasted cumin, ground coriander. Not terrible!

2 Likes

I long ago decided that comfort food does not have to be photogenic. I took an ancient slow cooker roast beef recipe we’ve used for years and made changes. It called for cream of mushroom soup which I kept, but in place of water and onion soup mix (yeah, one of those old school “fix it and forget it” jobs), I used beef stock, red wine, and rubbed the meat with garlic and onion powders, Lawry’s seasoning salt, ground pepper, and Montreal steak seasoning. I also added a pound of fresh mushrooms and a few cloves of minced garlic to the liquid. It cooked on low for nine hours. The finished product was great, though the Montreal seasoning was more pronounced than I expected. Lots of leftovers. Not only did I not finish the plate, but judging by what’s left, I hope everyone plans on roast beef sandwiches for a few days! BF also made biscuits from scratch using a Preppy Kitchen recipe. Best biscuit I’ve ever had.

To drink:

Made mom an Espresso Martini (with decaf espresso :expressionless:); for me chilled Bombay Gin with no vermouth but I smeared an orange slice around the glass-- very refreshing and more suitable for summer. BF had a beer. Boring!

29 Likes

I feel like I’ve seen them for that price not so long ago. And they are really good. So at least there’s that!

1 Like

In the classic Corningware Cornflower Blue pattern. My Mom had several pieces when we were growing up. :heart:

4 Likes

9 Likes

Looks good! Also fussy!

1 Like

Sounds v. good to me! But wondering what else was involved besides the avo and yogurt…not much, it sounds like, and worth trying even for that, I reckon.

Here’s the original:

2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled

1/2 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for serving

2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds, plus more coarsely chopped for serving

Kosher salt

3 Likes

Yup, on doomsday all that will be left is cockroaches and Corningware.

10 Likes

And Cher.

11 Likes

I’m dyin’!

2 Likes

Don’t forget Keith Richards. Unless you consider him part cockroach.

12 Likes

Pork tenderloin with an apple cider-bourbon glaze (apple cider, apple vinegar, ginger puree, soy sauce, and bourbon all reduced for a glaze).

Sides were roasted quartered baby Yukon potatoes, tossed in olive oil, s/p, Herbs de Provence, and dry mustard and roasted in the convection oven with quartered apples added 10 minutes in (should have added the apples even later than the recipe called for, as they were mushy and the potatoes didn’t crisp up to my liking), and steamed, buttered green beans.

Wine.

24 Likes

He’s in. Also, I do consider him part cockroach.

3 Likes