What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

We here in the US have the environmental aspect to seafood. Here’s the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch:

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/skate?q=skate

Sorry to disappoint, Mister H. 'twas a decent “house” rose at the Italian place down the road. The (usually very great) antipasti plate was a bit of a letdown: everything – vitello tonnato, cured salmon with pink peppercorns, mozza & tomatoes, tuna & bean salad, raw (?!) slices of shrooms with no dressing or seasoning – was simply too cold to taste of anything.

But we had not eaten since leaving Newark last night, and after a few beers at our favorite beer garden,

this was just fine. Sustenance.

My tastebuds also seem to need some time to recover from jet-lag - everything’s bland to me for a few days, so things can only improve from here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree re post-travel of that duration. More fuel than anything else. Have fun.

That’s so awesome Lingua . I love that the Germans truly enjoy eating and drinking outdoors . I miss those Bier Gartens . The first couple days I’m asleep during dinner with my head on the plate .

2 Likes

For some reason all i wanted tonight was a waldorf salad. It is one of my mom’s favorite lunches yet she rarely makes it since leftovers don’t keep well.
I toast my walnuts, do the celery thin on the mandoline, and chopped part of a granny smith and part of a fuji. I can’t handle the traditional mayo dressing, so i make one with greek yogurt thinned with a bit of lemon juice, and stirred in a bunch of cracked pepper. Served on a bed of salad greens. I should do this in the summer

6 Likes

I have never had one . Over 110 years old in origin . Keeping it alive :raised_hands:

1 Like

Mom loved them as well. I like them too and like mayo so maybe it’s time to make one. Thanks for the inspiration

1 Like

Rain is forecast for tonight, so we’ll take that as a sign to prepare a home-cooked meal — especially since the weather after Thursday looks absolutely fabulous, and that means going out. Duh.

I purchased a few chicken legs & salad fixins, as I’m apparently not yet done with the chickie & salad combo >le sigh< … but I will hopefully be able to recreate the Greek lemon chicken I made here last year in this wonderful convection oven & my man still raves about it.

Probly catch up on some teevee epis from back home.

3 Likes

I used to make that ALL the time as a summer salad, sometimes adding chicken to put the salad on a roll for a sandwich. Will have to try and remember to do that again very soon!

1 Like

A trip into the city for Italian.

We don’t do Italian very well in the UK - no significant numbers of immigrants - but we live in hope of finding a decent place. This one, which we’ve only just come across, makes a Big Thing of its fritti and its imported buffalo mozzarella. We’ll see…

2 Likes

Leftovers for dinner, so nothing of note.

But I wanted to note that it was 4 years ago today when I met @Harters and his lovely bride. He was visiting New England, and wanted to experience Dali. We met up with @GretchenS and enjoyed tapas, libations, and desserts. John got us both jars of damson plum fruit chutney, and I gave him a block of English Coastal Cheddar (which, surprisingly, he couldn’t get in England, as it’s all shipped to the States!).

It was a lovely visit, and I can’t believe it’s been 4 years. Oh yes, and we had perfect British weather that evening (and I think for most of their stay in New England as well!), and we are having that SAME type of weather this week. Go figure. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Jan & I speak of it often, Linda. It was a lovely evening . And I can’t believe it’s that long ago!

There’s progress on the cheese front. Coastal is now available in some of the branches of our usual supermarket - although not yet our local branch. However, one of their other products - Wookey Hole Cheddar - is readily available. And is pretty good.

2 Likes

From the fishmonger because I leave the deep-frying to others. I turned the cod into dinner with pita pockets, some vegs and herbs, and garlicky quark. Unfortunately I couldn’t sit in the garden as planned as it was chilly. The beautiful sunshine was deceptive.

Sauce (quark, dill, parsley, cucumber, garlic) and more cod .

Battered cod (also comes in pieces like these) is normal food here. Fish trailers sell them like hotcakes on market days. Unlike in the UK, battered cod is not sold together with chips. If you also want chips with your cod (or other deep fried seafood) you just walk over to the chip trailer and get that, separately. Both kinds of these trailers are always found at the market, and eating either or both is immensely enjoyed by people of all ages and cultural groups.

7 Likes

It was also a favorite of my grandma (mom’s mom, dad’s mom specialized in a wedge “salad” - just a thick wedge of iceburg with a good smear of homemade mayonaise and sprinkle of salt). But no grapes!

Never crossed my mind to use it as a sandwich filling…! That’s a fabulous idea!

1 Like

WFD: CSF Flounder from the F/V Catherine F.
A. Pan-Seared Fish with Red Curry Sauce from “Quick & Easy Thai” by Nancie McDermott. Fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, black pepper, Flounder. The fillets marinate for 20 - 30 minutes.
Curry Sauce: Unsweetened coconut milk, red Thai curry paste, fish sauce, brown sugar, peanut oil.

B. Spinach with Black Pepper and Garlic, from “Quick & Easy Thai”: spinach; fish sauce; garlic; black pepper; sugar; a bit of water. I’m subbing Escarole.
C. Jasmine rice, the house rice of Thailand.

This recipe ought to work with Flounder considering other fillets, including salmon, cook very well with this method. I’ll simply adjust the timing and hope for the best, cuz I Want Thai.

Is it this one? I think so. (From their site)

I am looking at a UK food mag and seeing a full page advert…

That’s one of my favorites! That and Dubliner Irish cheese – love the crystals in it! I like making cheddar and chutney sandwiches with the English Cheddar or just snacking on it with some wine…

3 Likes

Hoping to put a dent in my massive bunch of celery tonight was a salad of sorts: lots of celery cut thin on the mandoline, sliced radishes, lots of cucumbers, fresh dill, lentils, and a vinegrette with lots of dijon.

3 Likes

In case you want another idea: http://www.lovecelery.co.uk/recipes/detail.asp?ItemID=334#.Vyk7uXErLnB

3 Likes