What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

Oh good. I hate stuff cooked in a bog.

No real recipes with me, I kind of wing things, that’s how I learned to cook.

Brown sausage (I only use hot Italian sausage) retain the grease in the pan. Cut/cube chicken (I used all beast meat) and brown in the sausage grease. (add olive oil if needed) Season chicken
salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Remove chicken from pan, remove juice. Add Olive oil - garlic - salt - pepper - parsley to pan
I like to cook my garlic a few minutes by itself, the add the peppers and onions to the pan. Cover - Stir occasionally, after 5 mins. (once onions and peppers start to soften) add 1/4 - 1/2(?) cup of balsamic (I just used what I had left in my bottle), let it reduce slightly, add same amount of white wine, stir let sit a minute or two add the chicken juice from when you removed the chicken. Cook a few more minutes to let the flavors mix. Remove from heat pour all ingredients in a pan with 1 can (I used a canned sauce) of tomato sauce, stir all together and into the oven for 20-30 mins. (350-ish)

I served with pasta on the side. Keep in mind I cooked for 6 last night and had some leftover, so I made 8 sausage links and 6 boneless chicken breasts, 2 small/medium vadalia onions and 3 large red peppers.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

From my hubby’s family recipe, there is a dish quite similar (pepper in tomato sauce with chicken) but the order to cook is different. Cook the pepper on it’s own, then add tomato sauce, chopped garlic, salt pepper. Brown the meat in another pan, add the meat, juice with the pepper the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.

I will sure try yours to see if I can still improve the taste of this family dish. I like the adding of vinegar and wine.

Attention, they are very proud of this dish and I bet changing anything will be considered as “unorthodox”.

8 oz.?

To be perfectly honest I have no idea, I will check when I get home later tonight. Typical mason jar size if that helps for now.

I’ve already posted Wednesday “Annnnntony!” dinners while quoting that camp favorite “On Top of Spaghetti, all covered with cheese” and “Sketti sketti bo-betti, banana-fana-fo-fetti”. Two classics. Those are the only sketti songs I know.

Now all I can say is:

Sketti. It’s what’s for dinner.
Sawce.
Cheeeeeeeeeese on top.
Crusty buttered rolls alongside.
Wine.

Dat’s it.

1 Like

Crispy cumin beef with blistered green beans. Browned ground beef in cast iron until it was realllllllly crispy, then set it aside and blistered some green beans in the same skillet in bacon fat. Added cumin, ginger and garlic for the last minute or two, then returned the beef to the pan and seasoned the whole thing with sambal oelek and Sriracha. Topped with toasted peanuts and cilantro. YUM.

10 Likes

Prime New York cooked along side spring boletus in CI .Canned Great northern beans modified . Sautéed frozen spinach with a small amount of garlic .

2 Likes

Mahi tacos tonight. Made a “slaw” with shredded romaine and cabbage along with diced tomatoes, cilantro and lightly cooked toasted corn. All on corn tortillas

3 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is homemade chicken tenders with potato wedges and salad. Chicken tenders were breaded with crushed cheese crackers. Honey dill dip for dipping.

1 Like

Panko crusted shrimp AND vidalia onion rings with (more) kale salad.

6 Likes

Nice rings .

Thanks, e. I’ve fixed the shrimp before with this recipe (egg, flour, egg, panko) and didn’t want to make a different ‘batter.’ No thanks to me, these were really fantastic!

1 Like

two dinners’ worth:

last night: BF heated up my leftover cauli puree, sauteed up some kielbasa and duck/bacon sausage, made a lovely beet salad with goat cheese and candied walnuts, and fried up leftover chicken skins all for me, just me. isn’t he romantic? :slight_smile:

after dinner i made a batch of nam prik pao, extra spicy, and stir-fried that with ground pork, thai bird chilis, scallions, cilantro, mint and thai basil. added some chili oil too.

tonight i stir fried the meat with rice noodles and added more chopped veg, including red cabbage, splooshes of more chili oil, fish sauce and chinese black vinegar, and topped the whole thing with a fried egg. garlicky peanuts made it into the bowls after i took the pics.

and i was going to make spanakorizo for tomorrow night (a dish I just heard of for the first time today), but i purchased frozen spinach (meximart was out of fresh) on my way home and it turned out to have all these weird straw-like stems in it, so i tossed it. i thought it was just a cheapo off-brand. i’d been ignoring the listeria scare (no other frozen veg in our freezer), but sure enough, when i looked it up, Parade brand was on the list. glad i tossed it.

and I bought some beautiful red bells which are now salt-curing to make more massa de pimentao, and also to make biondanonima’s parm roasted red peppers.

10 Likes

Your BF is the best!

6 Likes

The weather is turning to shite here for the next few days, so I dropped off my girl today to get her blinkers in the back fixed. I might get lucky and have her back tomorrow – then I could watch her get rained on :-P, but it’s likelier that I won’t have her back until Tuesday. Wah.

The Mesopotamian restaurant is manned by a cook from Anatolia, who’s “travelled a lot around the world” as the waitress informed us, so I guess the food is more of a personal take / mishmosh of various cuisines. Either way, it was quite delish.

We shared breaded eggplant with zucchini, tomato and yogurt sauce

as well as fresh pan-fried spinach with mushrooms, onions and a little hummus (very good!) on the side,

then split their grill platter. Holy cow – that was a lot of food. An assortment of skewered meat: lamb, beef, veal, chicken, and ground lamb, wonderful roasted potatoes and more of that addictive yogurt sauce.

All dishes came with a nicely dressed green salad.

As for tonight, we’re staying in: I picked up some chicken breast, red & yellow pepper and some button mushrooms, all of which will be fried up in a pan with a bunch of herbs & spices, maybe with the addition of a few baby romas and some feta; on the side will be one of my favorite salads - Belgian endive with tangerine segments in a creamy dill dressing.

Belgian endive in Germany: 1.69 € / kg
Belgian endive back home: $4.99 / lb.
:open_mouth:

10 Likes

This sounds great! Did you use cumin seeds or ground cumin? How much cumin would you add to, say, one pound of ground meat?

1 Like

I used ground cumin but I think a mix of toasted seeds and ground would be excellent as well! I had 1.33 lbs of ground beef and I probably added 2 T. of cumin, plus a quarter cup of sambal and probably another quarter cup of Sriracha. It was good and spicy!

2 Likes

This KILLS me. It’s the same with leeks - you can get a kilo for 1EU in Berlin, here they cost $4/lb. Ridiculous! As soon as I have a place to garden, leeks are the first thing on my list to grow!

3 Likes

Leeks - currently ÂŁ2 a kilo at my usual supermarket