What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

I’d picked up pork burnt ends in bbq sauce at the local Aldi recently, as it had gotten good reviews in the Aldi Facebook group I’m in (while they’re certainly not the most discerning bunch, I have discovered some quality items through them I would not have otherwise).

I also got my first shingles shot today, so the pork seemed like an easy meal. Nuked the pork, heated up some Aldi frozen sweet corn with butter, spicy salt & fresh parsley, and heated up the Aldi mac I picked up as well.

I had almost zero expectations (a New Year’s resolution I try to apply to everything), and this was quite good. Tender pork, maybe a bit on the fatty side, and the mac was solid.

17 Likes

An easy meal tonight: roast Hungarian sausages, with yams and sauteed green beens.

17 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter in Newton, NJ, including blue cheese encrusted filet mignon; seared scallops in a coconut curry sauce; potato crisps and caviar; lamb loin chops with roasted fennel; fried oysters with honey horseradish aioli. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

12 Likes

Framore pasta . With leftover gravy . Parmigianino Reggiono to top . Cheers. it’s a strong 100 percent Durham wheat , semolina pasta. Cooking time varies.

it’s a little larger noodle. I would start checking at 12
Minutes. For texture . No cooking time on package. Fabulous taste.

21 Likes

So vibrant!

1 Like

I agree with every single statement!

Same, and same!

1 Like

Lovely. I think I’ll try that recipe.

1 Like

Finally paused for a pic of some home meals before I launched in.

Long beans (cooked with tomato, garlic, and onion), baby lima beans (sprouted from dry, cooked with cilantro and coconut), and fresh fenugreek salad. Plus chapatis and rice.

The lima beans are one of my favorites - in any form, but especially this one.

The fenugreek salad is relatively new to me, and a recent favorite.

(Trying @Nannybakes’ floating plate technique for the first time :joy:)

23 Likes

The whole quiche is beautiful. I am always envious of people that bake because I can’t.

2 Likes

Thanks! So easy to make, and this is honestly not baking, IMO. I used a Pillsbury pie crust because I couldn’t be arsed to make my own, and carefully stretched it to fit in a deep dish pie plate so I could flute the edges. Most of the cheese was mixed in with the eggs and seasonings vs sprinkled on top as directed, as I didn’twant the cheese to brown too much. Just a very small handful was left for sprinkling. I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes while I made the salad before cutting it.

9 Likes

A couple of days ago I made a meatloaf from Taunton’s Fine Cooking; I’ve used the recipe before. It uses a mix of ground beef, pork, and veal, but my wife bought lamb instead of veal by mistake; I used it anyway. One thing I like about it is that you bake it on a rimmed baking tray instead of in a loaf pan, so the fat drains away from the meat. I used panko instead of fresh breadcrumbs, and for a variation mixed in sautéed yellow and orange bell peppers.

It turned out very moist and flavorful. There were leftovers, which I divided into 3 and refrigerated. We had one last night for dinner. It was still moist and tasted great. Definitely the best I’ve had.

I think it would be interesting the next time to mix in pistachios.

16 Likes

Punjabi (Desi / Indian Chinese) Chinese dinner:

• Hakka noodles
  • Burnt garlic fried rice
  • Salt and Pepper Prawns
  • Soya Chilli Chicken (saucy)
  • Beyond Steak with broccoli (made at home)

21 Likes

I bought one and the pie was tasty but we were disappointed in the carton picture vs. the actual pie. I took a picture and sent it to them. They sent me a coupon for a free pizza. The problem? Three miniscule pieces of green bell pepper. That was it.

Two nights ago I made chicken tinga tacos at my kiddo’s insistence. I was happy to oblige and he ate three, some beans, a bite of slaw, and a plain tortilla. Growing! Sides of pinto beans, lemony fennel slaw, and some brown “Mexican” rice that just never cooked through and didn’t make the photo.

24 Likes

Kiddo has good taste — my favorite kind of taco! Craving tinga now.

1 Like

lazlo toth action i love it

A good entry for the DOTQ!

4 Likes

18 Likes

English cucumber salad . Grilled prawns with head on . I don’t know what kind of sauce