What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Yaaaass

That makes it sound so grand :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@ottowaoperadiva might actually take the title

1 Like

that is just a gorgeous plate of food.

2 Likes

@ChristinaM and @gcaggiano I like to think we all have the same great tastes!

3 Likes

Last night was pasta al limone. A household favourite as it is very quick, cheap and tasty. Also citruses are divine right now so it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

25 Likes

We had a politician in Massachusetts, Scott Brown, who posed nude for Cosmo magazine in the early 80’s when he was in law school. As I recall, he said he needed the money.

4 Likes

I made Ganach Lupia (thanks @linguafood) with some changes to the original recipe from Serious Eats. It turned out very good although I think the water needs reducing for the InstantPot. Served with yogurt and lavash.

It reminded us both a lot of pörkölt (aka Hungarian “Goulash”).

21 Likes

I repurposed some of the leftovers from last night into Hot and Sour Tofu with Mixed Vegetables. There’s egg noodles buried underneath all that. Hit the spot!

22 Likes

What were the changes?

Hmm… let’s see…

I put the baking soda on the meat, not the onions, for better browning.

I minced the garlic and onion together and softened them next to the browned meat, which I just scooted into a heap on one side. (Nothing steamed - plenty of Maillard reaction etc.)

I subbed 1 c. diced tomatoes (pureed a bit) + 2 small cans tomato sauce for the whole tomatoes + paste (out of those).

I added closer to 1 c. water v. 1.5 to adjust for the tomato sauce v. paste.

Added three bay leaves. Subbed a splash of soy sauce, TJ’s umami powder and a little ploughman’s pickle for the anchovies. I didn’t have the biber salcasi so I subbed red pepper tapenade + Urfa and Aleppo chili.

Cooked down the finished dish after pressure cooking because it was too watery.

5 Likes

Lazy weeknight dinner: Priano stuffed shells with doctored up marinara (anchovy filets, garlic, red pepper/tomato paste, TJ’s hawtttt eyetalian sausage).

The pasta was pretty bland, but the sawce made it work.

17 Likes

Turkish chicken-breast kebabs on the grill. Baby garden peas (from frozen). Couscous.

22 Likes

laterpost #2

We were finally able to make the Leek pasta and I didn’t share it. Sigh.
I am quite happy with the result:

though next time I will not use a yellow plate.
Five ingredients and a lovely treat.
Process is to separate the green and white of leeks. Make small batons of the white and fry them in evoo, while boiling the green with the pasta (bucatini? or spaghetti?). Then puree the greens while the pasta holds, add the leek frying oil, s&p, and some pasta water, and then put it all back together. Finish with the fried leek and some lemon juice and zest.
Next time, I would just use rings of leek and forget about the batons. I would make the sauce first (using the frozen pasta water ice cubes I’m geeky enough to keep on hand.) I would make the pasta when I was good and ready and probably add some of those lovely precooked prepackage fava beans or other fun been to make this even more than it already is. And it is a nice something.
Link with a paywall below:

21 Likes

Chicken fried steak with country gravy, asparagus, and mashed potato.

20 Likes

Happy Burns Night to those who celebrate! No haggis here, but there is Scotch by way of a Bobby Burns cocktail. Slainte! “I’m truly sorry Man’s dominion, Has broken Nature’s social union, An’ justifies that ill opinion, Which makes thee startle, At me, thy poor, earth-born companion, An’ fellow-mortal!”

Dinner: Two little filet mignons, probably about six ounces total, encrusted with everything bagel seasoning, fries, and roasted cherry tomatoes again-- they’re just so good!

25 Likes

Your plates/dishes are very distinctive and handsome. I always know it’s you. Everything bagel seasoning on a filet - hmmm…the cocktail looks very inviting!

2 Likes

I asked the BF to make Woks of Life’s tomato beef tonight. Really tasty and the beef was tender, but it could have used a little more seasoning, though he followed the recipe. Still good, just needed a bit more oomph.

24 Likes

No photos to share, but we had pot roast for dinner. Found a good deal for a nice 3 lb. beef chuck roast this week $5.99/lb. I would have browned it stovetop and braised it with the vegetables in the LeCreuset and put it in a slow oven but DH uses an Instant Pot pressure cooker. I never argue with a man who wants to cook for me. I’m afraid of the pressure cooker, and as it turns out - so are my Aussies. The younger (blue-eyed) guy is reactionary to the sound of the vacuum sealer and the smoke detector in the kitchen, but tonight he and his older brother showed up on my lap in the family room - I had my headphones on watching a video and knew something was up. WTH? It’s only pot roast. I was afraid maybe the love of my life had keeled over and was dead on the floor. When I went to scope it out, DH said the sound of the steam releasing from the pressure cooker set the dogs running…photos of the 2 buggers for reference…

31 Likes

Your dogs and my girlfriend. She hates the sound of my pressure cooker’s jiggler weight, as it pssst… pssst… pssst… through the cooking process. She holes up in the back bedroom with the door shut, until I utter the words “Sunshine… dinner is ready!!”

By the way… cute dogs, they put a smile on my face this evening.

5 Likes