What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Tonight’s dinner was Baked Salmon, wild rice and mixed vegetables. I was able to throw dinner together during commercial breaks and halftime, as I didn’t want to miss the Dallas vs. Tampa Bay game tonight.

13 Likes

Mostly Maharashtrian dinner. Also reported in the COTQ thread.

Classic varan (simple thin toor dal), bhaat (tomato rice instead of plain), methi leaves bhaji, yogurt, some lemon pickle lurking in there.

That simple dal-rice is the best comfort food, and the cooking style made the slightly bitter methi absolutely delicious!

I could eat this forever.

19 Likes

Oh No! I hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

That was some game.

1 Like

Thank you. My foot is throbbing, but I have been through worse things…

1 Like

Yum! Duck on duck.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear about your injury. Understandable that you are feeling low. I hope that the meds work quickly, that the docs also gave you some pain relief, and you feel better soon.

2 Likes

@retrospek chin up! Speedy recovery to you. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you. I wish I had asked for pain relief. I was up all night because of it. Seems like a trivial thing but actually it is a big deal. In half an hour I am calling the podiatrist they referred me to for trauma care. Hope I can get an appointment soon…

5 Likes

Oh no, sorry you had a bad night. Can you call the doctor office back and ask for pain relief?
Hope the podiatrist can see you pronto.

No it was an ER kind of situation - rotating doctors I think. I’ll get through this, it’s just not pleasant and is freaking unusual. Thank you for your good thoughts. I am lucky to have my husband of 43 years to look after me…and he makes a killer meatloaf! Leftovers for dinner tonight.

15 Likes

That sounds extremely painful. I hope you recover quickly.

1 Like

OUCH! I hope it heals vs. losing it entirely! Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are a good comfort meal.

5 Likes

Looks delish! I made black beans from scratch a couple of nights ago. In fact I just finished a bowl of black beans and rice for lunch.

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m dubious that they were Alphonsos, especially in January, never mind in the US (the season is March to June; the earliest ones show up in Mumbai in February). Something that looks like an Alphonso, perhaps.

(I’ve rarely seen an Alphonso even in NYC outside an Indian market – once at Whole Foods, maybe 10 years ago – and even at Indian stores they’re hard to find because so few make it into the country.)

I don’t remember looking at the tag, and I certainly don’t consider myself to be a mango expert…but they’re pale orange, more elongated than your usual run-of-the-mill mango, and the flesh and flavor is exactly like Alphonsos. Maybe champagne mangoes? In any event, those are the ones I buy by the case when in season, which is until March. When it starts, I don’t really know. I just pick them up as soon as they pop up in our stores :woman_shrugging:

Sorry, but having grown up on Alphonsos, the only mango that tastes exactly like an Alphonso is… an Alphonso, lol. (Anything else is like mass market parm compared to the real stuff.)

Indians at large are a Mango Cult, but there is a separate Cult of Alphonso. Guys waiting at airports for cartons. Secret calling lists for mango arrival. Last resort of ordering direct-from-orchard (at insane prices, and with money refunded for every fruit that isn’t perfect).

The cult makes sense: this mango is a diva more than a king. It refuses to grow outside the terroir of two states, no matter how many people have tried over decades and across continents. It travels terribly. It spoils if it’s picked too early or speed-ripened. It has to be babied (it’s stored in crates between layers of hay: each fruit has to be checked and turned daily). It’s horribly sensitive to weather, especially the timing of the monsoon, never mind the actual rain. So, yeah, the King of the Mangoes.

What you describe sounds like a champagne or ataulfo mango, which I enjoy.

(I’ll take on the yoke of mango snob even though I grudgingly eat only a few every season so they don’t take away my Indian card. My mom yelled at me before and after every mango I ate last year when I was local for the season for the first time in a couple of decades, because WHY AREN"T YOU EATING MORE MANGOES???!!!)

10 Likes

One of my favorite home meals tonight: lightly spiced baby goat chops in a mashed potato covering.

Mom is still recovering from a stomach bug, so she made the meat and I stuffed and pan-fried the chops.

I made a mixed vegetable soup in lieu of a salad on the side: carrots, bottle gourd, aromatics, and “creamed” at the end with milk to keep it light.

No pics, because Dad went from “not hungry” to “aren’t we eating dinner?” very fast when he heard what was for dinner :smiley:

11 Likes

Thanks for the info. Looks like the people here standing in line for the mangoes are waiting for champagne mangoes aka the mass market parm version.

Hopefully, one day I will have the great opportunity to try the real deal.

I wish you all the best!

3 Likes