What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Oh no, @Amandarama what a stressful situation! These healthcare bureaucratic tortures are the worst.

Our dinner last night was burritos with the leftover sweet potato-black bean stuffing described in the Tacos Winter DOTQ thread. The stuffing also included the Rick Bayless tomato-garlic rice described in the COTM thread - this was really good. I also had some sauteed onions. The burritos were covered with shredded ‘Mexican’ cheese from the supermarket and baked.

Plated with sides of chopped lettuce and tomato, pickled onion, pico de gallo, sour cream.

These came out very well and it’s good to have these leftovers in the fridge.

18 Likes

Oh, no! Hope it can be resolved quickly!

1 Like

Thanks! I am hoping it will be fully resolved tomorrow when a rep from the company will call us to re-enroll her. She has to be present for the call though, so I am driving out to her (not horrible, about an hour). The call will happen sometime within a four hour window. Ugh.

5 Likes

I have gotten around this by starting a call with my loved one, then answering the incoming call and merging the calls into one. Worked with my mother/grandmother.

iPhone - Check out “how to add an incoming caller”:

Android:

https://techboomers.com/t/make-android-phone-conference-call

I recommend trying this a couple times with families and friends so you don’t fumble in the heat of the moment. Also make sure to confirm that the company will call you right back if you happen to disconnect.

9 Likes

Tonight I made angel hair and meatballs, with everything from scratch except for the pasta. I added lots of shredded zucchini to the mix so that served as our veg, too.

24 Likes

Inspired by a discussion with @MunchkinRedux over in the weekly meal planning thread.

Vaquero beans with kale and chouriço based on Leite’s Caldo Verde.

Kale with chouriço, bacon,potato and tomato based on the WaPo bacon, bean and kale Soup

Chouriço with tomato and white wine

Beans with Sass, with extra bacon

23 Likes

Thanks! I have tried to do that a few times with my mother, but she seems to go days without sleep to not have to use her phone for anything by just talking to one person at a time (drops out of 3-way calls “mysteriously”, refuses to text or answer texts…to be fair there is early onset dementia at play here too).

12 Likes

Dinner tonight, from COTM Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless, Zucchini and Mushroom Tacos in a zesty chipotle tomato sauce with goat cheese. If you are into guisado tacos, these are quite wonderful. Messy, but wonderful!

21 Likes

I made gumbo with the crazy expensive currently available dungeness. Here’s the roux, crab and crab stock. I hope pictures of actual gumbo to follow. We just started eating.

With garlicky greens for me. More of the “gravy” than this for most (husband).

19 Likes

I’m sorry. My sister and I are dealing with very similar issues with our mom. It’s rough :disappointed:

7 Likes

Chicken and orzo redux. Meatballs from the freezer over a fresh batch of orzo.

25 Likes

Wfd was pad Thai noodles. Protein of choice? Pork in meatball form. It felt a little fusion but was pretty tasty. It’s nice to be able to make this at home as this dish would have a high chance of peanut cross contam if ordered. Served with quick pickled radish not shown.

19 Likes

Thanks! Good luck with your mom’s situation as well.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Simple whole roasted chicken. Simon Hopkinson’s recipe.

21 Likes

Was too dark for a photo, but I’m back in the city and had to scrounge up dinner at 10 PM. To the rescue:

One fish taco (I crave these in my exile)
One very lovely chayote, citrus, radish and avocado salad. MAN was that good.

And with a generous tip, that’s what thirty bucks will get you in a very non-fancy brooklyn restaurant these days.

12 Likes

Beef with scallions over udon noodles. A nice substitute for the usual white rice.

23 Likes

Patty melt! Ala the BF. with sides of potato salad in olive oil with capers, tomato salad with shallots. Simples.

23 Likes

wow. i keep saying “everything’s more expensive now,” but i still get sticker shock.

2 Likes

actually i forgot i had an agua fresca, too. but still.

1 Like