What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

All hail the cabbage!

cabbage

Caramelized with tomato sauce. And whiting with Tony’s. Not hating winter yet; give me time.

16 Likes

Casserole with mashed potatoes, quick bolognese (made with ground beef, Suppengemuese (onion, carrots, celery root, leek), tomato paste, diced tomatoes), brussels sprouts and comte cheese

16 Likes

10 Likes

I call your burrito. Lengua from El Farolito in new North Beach location.

$13+ for a regular?!?! Pancho Villa rolling in his grave.

6 Likes

How were the burritos in Taiwan?

Serious question.

Only had one “real” burrito in Taiwan, Tainan night market. Must admit to yearning for a burrito every now and then.

Fresh tortillas on the Tava (these guys were definitely not Hispanics, Middle Easterners??). These guys were working, note the Pocari Sweat at the ready.

Nice sear on the camel.

Ain’t a Mission Burrito, but a reasonable facsimile. Closer to a actual burrito than a gua bao is to an actual hamburger. :slight_smile:

This was January 17, 2020. Not a mask in sight. Two weeks later, the world changed. sigh

10 Likes

You probably already know this but I did not. The only habs in my grocery one time were all fairly green. Got them home and started cooking something and my son asked if they’d be hot, given they weren’t red/orangish yet. Tasted a slice. Nothing.

I’ve also really been disappointed with jalapenos the last few years - most seem to have little to no heat. Like @Saregama said, I’ve given up on them and now mostly get serrano if I want fresh heat.

Do you have a pasta roller thingie? Or do you just roll them out on the counter using a rolling pin? They look very uniform. The few times I’ve hand-rolled pasta it came out looking like… an amateur had hand-rolled pasta.

The habanero peppers at my grocery store are red/orange in color. I’ve never worked with them before, but I do have high hopes that they will give my pasta that “Southwest Kick” that I’m after.
I did taste a small piece of the raw jalapeno pepper and yes, it had nice heat to it. I liked it and thought I was on the right track…
Yes, I have a pasta roller & cutter attachment (set) for my KitchenAid stand mixer. I purchased the KitchenAid brand (set of 3) and I’m very happy with this roller/cutter set.
My girlfriend was watching some TV show and the characters were eating pasta and she requested pasta again, soon. So maybe next week, I’ll give my experimental “Southwest Pasta” another try.

2 Likes

I did this just yesterday. Sorry no pic. I warmed a bit of garlic gently in evoo until it was toasty. Added some rpf, 2 small diced tomatoes, then about 1/2 cup soyrizo. A big bunch of chopped spinach. Once it was all wilty, 2 lbs of clams and maybe a cup of wine. Steamed, removed clams. Added a knob of butter. Poured chunky sauce over the clams and served them with some leftover everything bagel focaccia squares. Pretty tasty!

Now if only I knew a trick to getting all the sand out of clams. I tried the mussels trick of soaking them for a day in cold water with a bit of cornmeal, but it didn’t seem to work. Among us, we had at least 5 or 6 gritty clams.

3 Likes

Tonight I made Cubanos with leftover mojo pork, Black Forest ham, Swiss from Switzerland, yellow mustard and dill pickles. Next time more cheese, but pretty good. Broccoli with Meyer lemon oil as the side.

26 Likes

Yumm … broccoli.
Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 4.03.40 PM

4 Likes

It has to be cooked well done or I feel like I’m eating Brillo pads.

2 Likes

As a kid, I was glued to The French Chef (Oh Julia… None will ever be your equal), Martin Yan, and Justin Wilson, The Cajun Cook (Ah GAR-on-TEE). I can still measure a tsp of salt in my palm which I learned from watching him.

But I never seriously tried to cook, or bother gathering recipes from anything beyond the back of the bag/box 'til I was in my late 20’s. I credit Alton Brown, J Kenji Lopez-Alt and ATK for all leaning in to the ‘food as scientific process’ wave that let us nerds with our measurement and consistency hangups get into food prep in a way we understood. It wasn’t a bunch of mystic secrets. It was principles, and learned in place A, could be applied in place B. I imagine it was all an offshoot of McGee’s ‘On Cooking’.

I think Good Eats and ATK probably opened cooking to just as many people as Julia Child and Martin Yan did way back when…

5 Likes

Improvised dinner this evening - Caesar pasta salad with garlic and chile roasted shrimp. Not the most seasonal meal, but checked a lot of boxes on favorite flavors!

26 Likes

The ratio of shrimp is the way I like it!

7 Likes

I mean, if you eat less than a half pound of shrimp in a sitting, did you even have shrimp?!

12 Likes

Easy and fast: fried eggs on jasmine rice with lots of kimchi. Everything bagel seasoning. Excellent effort to deliciousness ratio.

23 Likes

Some stroganoffy / goulash hybrid thang. Pork tenderloin tossed in flour and LOTS of Hungarian hot paprika (added more to the sauce, too), orange peppers, and baby bellas over egg noodz. Sauce was made with red wine, beef broth, spicy brown mustard, heavy cream, hot paprika, and fresh dill. Salad with lettuce, Persian cukes & avocado with a creamy mustard herb dressing on the side. Couldn’t finish either. Yay, leftovers!!

Maybe later we’ll finish the last of the spekuloos ice cream :yum:

22 Likes

Let’s do holidays!

3 Likes

Sautéed shrimp with bittersweet pimenton and cherry tomatoes over broccoli rabe with capers, raisins, pine nuts and Calabrian chilis. All atop orecchiette. I had 3 large bunches of the broccoli rabe and expected to have leftovers to give to friend. Maybe next time I’ll buy 4 bunches.

20 Likes