What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

I have a scrapbook from when I was in college and just out, with lots of recipes I cut out of the NYT. Some spectacular failures from that, while I was learning to cook “fancy.”

3 Likes

I have piles and piles of recipes cut from newspapers. Mostly from the Oregonian FOODday and I have a binder of assorted stuff. I go through them occasionally to see if there is anything that catches my fancy.
Off topic, I bought a dress from Seventeen magazine when I was maybe 16?

4 Likes

Last night I made soup with homemade stock, shredded chicken thigh, onion, cabbage, carrot, and the leftover Italian sausage and gnocchi. It was pretty tasty - better today.

Check out the gingerbread house we made today! House from scratch. I went a bit overboard with candy options.

Here it is with our PRIDE flag :grinning:

31 Likes

Fabulous touch, that flag!

6 Likes

Dinner Tonight: Veselka short rib pierogi with the leftover sauce from the Morimoto beef stew (and roasted shiitake mushrooms), green salad with tomatoes and shallots.

I received a gift card for Goldbelly at the end of the last school year and decided to buy some pierogi from Veselka. I cooked them from frozen and added them to about a cup and a half of the beef stew (mostly sauce, but I put it in the freezer because it was too good to waste) with some roasted shiitakes. Very, very rich, but extremely good!

26 Likes

Tonight I used leftover garlicky pulled pork as a topping on cauli-rice bowls with spinach, cucumbers, quick-pickled carrot and celery, kimchi, avocado, steamed haricots, and crispy shallots, topped with fried egg and ginger-scallion sauce.

PXL_20221204_231405839.NIGHT

25 Likes

I would love to be your neighbor.

1 Like

Went with mac and ham and cheese for dinner tonight with a small salad. (Also fed my freezer.) The plated pic was a fail, so a pic of the fully baked dish will have to suffice.

And early afternoon sleepyboy pics of the boyz. Finny on my lap covered by the blanket on my lap (he NEVER cuddles with me, so I endured not moving for 45 minutes while I read!) And Alfie on the back of the chair I was sitting in making sure his paw touched me while he napped.

Wine.

28 Likes

I bet he was cold! Turn the heat down and I predict more cuddles come your way :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Aw, thank you! I would love that, too :grinning:

The gingerbread house rocks - Pride flag! Koi pond!!

And that pork rice bowl looks amazing!!

3 Likes

Very thin pork “minute steaks”, oil-roasted Pinto gold potato with TPSTOB, mixed chicories salad with mustard vinaigrette. Meat and veg from local farm. So good but kinda beige.

23 Likes

I love bitter greens with mustard vinaigrette.

3 Likes

The koi pond is awesome!

3 Likes

last night at my sister’s, i made aglio e olio with bucatini, lamb steak, and garlicky broccoli. Lamb marinated in lemon juice, evoo, garlic, anchovies, thyme & oregano, s&p. Brocc was steamed then pan sauteed with thin garlic slices and tossed with parm regg. The aglio e olio turned out great - saw a tip on tic toc that has you add a bit more olive oil at a time as you’re sauteing the garlic slices so that each addition cools the oil, so that the garlic doesn’t burn and you can cook it longer to get maximum garlicosity. worked great. i prefer spaghetti for this dish (the bucatini wasn’t the thickest one), but it was still really, really good.

23 Likes

Chicken tarragon over buttered egg noodles. Mixed greens and little gem salad with red onion, celery, tomatoes, green goddess dressing. Wine.

19 Likes

Trying to keep dinners light as we head into the gastronomical orgy of the holidays. Tonight’s meal was a near repeat of grilled turkey with Swiss. Salad greens with apples, walnuts and a Rogue Creamery blue cheese. Roasted sweet potato bites.

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was stirfried scallops and veggies served over fettucine.

17 Likes

And tonight’s dinner - turkey gumbo - I made a ton of stock today from the carcass from Thxgiving (and had some turkey meat that had been frozen). Light and dark turkey and Tasso ham. Oven roux method works a charm, turned out great. I forgot the okra i bought yesterday at my sister’s, but the gumbo turned out good and thick. Really good on a rainy evening.

22 Likes

It has been unusually cold & rainy here, so Beef Stew sounded good & I had everything in the freezer/pantry. Used an Instant Pot recipe from Jeffrey Eisner. Couple of small tweeks, very yummy dinner, DH loved it too. Whats cool to me is a 3 lb boneless chuck roast plus the veggies made enough for about 6 meals & we are big eaters! :yum: Again, not the best photo, there was way more beef in this bowl…

19 Likes