What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

Please share them when you make them!!

1 Like

Will do!
But what flashed through my mind just now was: (1) doing the samosa baked potato and topping them with channa masala; (2) adding grated paneer to the potatoes (keeping the spice profile similar); (3) doing a Bangla style spicing for the potatoes, maybe panch poron or some such, with tomato chutney on the side.
Sheesh! I have barely finished my dinner and am already fantasizing about a whole slew of additional meals! :sweat_smile: :woman_facepalming:t4:
Thanksalot @GretchenS ! :laughing:

6 Likes

You are so very welcome!!! I get so much inspiration from these threads, glad to give something back!

4 Likes

What a great idea!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

I tried Kenji’s vaunted garlic noodle recipe. Topped with mentaiko.

18 Likes

Sunday comfort food. Pounded, breaded and then fried chicken breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas and shallots. Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad, oo&v dressing. Fresh basil! Bourbon and wine.

22 Likes

Leftover pan pizza from the freezer. Caesar salad with homemade dressing.

There will be brandied fruit and fancy chocolates for dessert.

18 Likes

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at The Circle in Newton/Fredon, NJ including an awesome tempura battered octopus with an incredible chorizo foam; pastrami smoked duck breast; bucatini cacio e pepe with truffles; pepper crusted scallops with pumpkin puree; prosciutto salad. It all went great with some outstanding cabernets.

12 Likes

Tonight was baked (no fry) eggplant parmesan from this recipe:

I had cornflakes needing to be used up.

I liked the results of this baked-not-fried approach: comparatively hands-off, much less oil, yet tasted great.

I asked for 2 med/large eggplants instead of one, thinking that would work for my slightly larger pan, but wound up with SO much sliced eggplant! I squawked around the kitchen hurriedly grating more cheese, beating more eggs, asking DH to get down more large baking dishes and grind more cornflakes.

So this fit into this month’s “mad rush” theme.

This made me extra klutzy. I wound up spilling tomato sauce on my sweater (the one time I was without an apron) needing emergency laundry; and knocking down the dog food can while extracting parsley from the fridge.

But the dish was very easy to assemble and yielded excellent results. Lots of leftovers for tomorrow’s dinner and a couple of lunches.

Harris Teeter has seriously de-spiced its Arrabiata sauce that I used instead of marinara. Boo! It was previously excellent. I had to retrofit lots of TJ Bomba to bump up the flavours.

But the end result was all good.

22 Likes

Very nice beef stew from Nik Sharma’s Season cookbook with red wine, verjus, pomegranate molasses, tomato paste, cinnamon and bay leaves. The briefly braised pearl onions were nice bursts of balancing flavors. Served with savoy cabbage braised with duck fat and over rice.

16 Likes

11 Likes
  1. Aloo chaat!
2 Likes

My retired sushi chef uncle-in-law is staying with us this week. Cruise to Half Moon Bay for some seafood, of course. Most of the boats were refitting for the upcoming Dungeness crab season open, so only three boats were selling fish.

Our visitors are leaving before the Dungie season opening, so we picked up some huge rock crab.

Super lively yellowtail rock cod.

Perfect sized halibut.

Uncle gave our resident fish monger (my wife) a lesson on filleting and slicing the two fish. He also gifted us one of his daily use fish knives!

Since we had Boudin sourdough with the crab, one of the sashimi plates was finished Sicilian style (ala Swan’s Oyster Depot): olive oil, balsamic, capers and lemon. Two plates traditional Japanese: wasabi/soy, ponzu and yuzu. Two plates left over to be enjoyed tonight.

He also gave my wife some expert instructions on prepping these two starry flounders. These will be dinner tonight.

There’s also a 15lb albacore tuna in the garage fridge waiting to be broken down later today. We’ll have plenty of vac-sealed fish in the freezer.

26 Likes

Wow! Super-jelly of your bounty!

6 Likes

Thank you.

I want to go to there.

2 Likes

catch-up time again… at my sister’s Sat. night i made us a bavette steak marinated in ginger and scallions (store-bought - Bi-Rite), and she made another batch of Thomas Keller’s buttery potato puree - no greens for us! She’s this close to going ahead and buying herself a tami, since these are her favorite potatoes, and mashed in general are the only potatoes she seems to want to make/eat. Right now she’s just scraping them through a sieve but i can’t imagine how much finer they could be…

Steak was much more rare-to-medium-rare than this pic would have you believe…

Sunday, I made ramen - made a dashi (instant) and added in a couple of packets from other ramen packs, as well as soy sauce and chopped-up bits of the last of my homemade kimchi, and used Chinese style dry noodles. Turned out ok, not great. Made my own chasu which was DELICIOUS, but an oddly shaped piece and it kind of fell apart when i tried to cut it so i couldn’t get it into nice thin slices. Also made shoyu eggs but let them sit too long in the boiling water as we were involved in a crossword puzzle. At least they were fresh eggs! Came out of a chicken a couple days ago.

after dinner i made a new batch of kimchi, which is fermenting now in a jar in a dark kitchen cabinet. I’ll stick it in the fridge tomorrow night.

23 Likes

ooh mentaiko!

how did you find those noodles? My sister and I made one batch of his and i made my usual recipe (found somewhere on the internet ages ago) and unfortunately found Kenji’s too overwhelmingly garlicky to eat.

Hi Maria,

I found them to be just OK. Even though I decided to reduce the number of garlic cloves in the recipe by half, it was still pretty garlicky for me. Also I’m not sure if my execution of the recipe did it justice, or if this particular taste combination wasn’t as dazzling to me as it was for so many others. I’m glad I tried it. But it’s not a “keeper” for me.

2 Likes