What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

Austerity dinner! In preparation and atonement. Baked hake with lime, sesame and miso, green beans with herb sauce.

15 Likes

Our cold and rainy weather called for something warming. Black bean and sweet potato chili seemed like the perfect meal. As written, the one I was using didn’t have enough of a chile oomph (it only called for chipotles in adobo) so I added I had on hand - ancho, pasilla, and guajillo. Much better.

19 Likes

Because of a fall, I am not able to cook right now (I love cooking), so am having Meals on Wheels delivered. Some of the food is not too bad, but all of it gets doctored up as much as I can do now. Will be so glad when I can cook again.

16 Likes

So sorry about your fall! Hope recovery is swift and you’re back cooking very soon.

6 Likes

I refer to this as “(p)repenting.”

5 Likes

That’s a good word! I will claim it.

1 Like

I have to be so careful and am very afraid of falls. I did have a fall last month. DH couldn’t get me up from the floor so we decided to call 911 and two very strong young men came, picked me up and got me into my recliner. Fortunately I did not have any serious injuries and I declined a ride to the ER. I hope you recover soon.

10 Likes

Once bitten, twice shy. Or in my case, twice bitten, finally shy. I slipped on a mossy paver Thanksgiving day 2017, fractured my patella. Did it keep from cooking? No. Summer of 2019 I tripped on a over a garden hose and broke my left arm. Did it keep me from cooking? No. Fortunately neither break required surgery. My worst nightmare, would be unable to cook. I wish you a speedy recovery.

8 Likes

Dinner tonight is a very decadent spinach dish called Spinach Maria - https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spinach-maria . We’re having it as a dip with lots of tortilla chips. IPA for him and Pinot Noir for me!

22 Likes

Annual condo meeting today went well.

Finally pulled the trigger on purchase of half bath vanity and vanity top from Lowe’s. (It’s only been 2 years since I decided I like this set!) Delivery on the 27th. Demo of old crap from previous owner and installation of new depends on BIL’s work schedule.

Dinner decided while in condo mtg: pan-seared D’Artagnan duck breast with blackberry sauce (a combo of sauteed minced shallots with grated ginger, balsamic vinegar, chicken stock and fresh blackberries, mashed and simmered until reduced and then strained and mounted with some butter(.

Sides were Israeli couscous and roasted Brussels sprouts. And wine.

Alfie doing Kitty Yoga just outside the kitchen while I was in full dinner prep was a laughter bonus. He’s such a weirdo.

28 Likes

Bookmarked! Thanks for the link. :yum:

1 Like

Enjoy!

1 Like

I have had this on my radar to make for quite some time, but make other decisions instead. Your report definitely inspired me to put it on the list, maybe for New Year’s? No festivities planned, but this dish looks like it can make a feast!

2 Likes

cat

11 Likes

Red beans and rice, with homemade smoked kielbasa.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ, including beef brisket with whipped parsnip; monkfish and mussels; char siu pork belly with an awesome crispy duck dumpling; wood fired Gulf shrimp; duck leg confit; French onion soup; an amuse bouche of Vietnamese spring roll, and a decadent dessert of warm chocolate sticky toffee pudding. It all went great with an excellent Australian Shiraz and cabernet. Adding a gratuitous picture of Matisse :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

Cubed BL/SL chicken thighs in a delicious Madras curry sauce from Maya Kaimal*. Three whole dried chili peppers added for heat. I’ll try not to eat them** this time, though the adrenaline rush is tempting. Served over basmati rice with a couple of Deep vegetable samosas and garlic naan on the side.

Rob Roy to drink. I always pair Scotch with Indian food after a unique experience I had at an Indian restaurant years ago. Story at a later date.

• This was the best jar Indian simmer sauce I’ve ever had. Normally, I use Patak’s which is decent but requires severe doctoring. While I rubbed the chicken with some curry powder, coriander, garlic and onion powders, the sauce required nothing else added. Would buy again for sure.

** Ate two of the three. Slightly dying.

19 Likes

Simple potato salad with green beans, hard boiled eggs, garlic, olive oil and red wine vinegar.

14 Likes

Sometimes all I want are the simple things - your meal looks delicious!

5 Likes

We’re a two person household, so a whole recipe was definitely in the feast category last night! We ended up eating about half. I am freezing the rest.

1 Like