What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

Dinner tonight was mini penne with an Italian sausage sauce. Oo, onion, garlic, anchovies, capers, splash of rosso vermouth, a can of diced tomatoes, rpf. Parm and parsley. Toasted garlic sourdough. Salad of little gem and mixed greens, cherry pepper, peperoncini, celery, red onion, kalamata olives, mushrooms, oo&v dressing. I had a Negroni and since I was out of wine, a rosso vermouth and tonic.

17 Likes

So interesting how it got brought back from the dead and its history. Also delicious.

6 Likes

Snow day tomorrow. My PIC made his amazing yuvetsi, and I’d picked up a few dips at the local Greek restaurant: fava, melitsano, and tirokafteri for apps, and made a maroulosalata-ish salad to go with.

23 Likes

Sunday i made a pot of braised beef shanks and mushrooms in an Italian red (with anchovy paste, tomato paste, and dijon) and let it sit in the fridge for a few days, and tonight the BF paired it with goat cheesy polenta. Chilly evening here (though dry) so this was very welcome to come home to.

28 Likes

After processing that large cauliflower yesterday, I found myself with a good bunch of cauliflower leaves. I couldn’t bring myself to just throw them away, so I looked on-line and sure enough they are edible… just drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, so they became our vegetable tonight for dinner.

So, tonight’s dinner was hamburger steak with white gravy, stuffing and baked cauliflower leaves. It was a nice meal.

14 Likes

Japanese curry (pork), rice, and onsen tamago.

19 Likes

Wish I were your neighbor and you would invite me to dinner…

1 Like

Move to the Wild Rivers Coast of Oregon, I’d love to cook for you.

2 Likes

Thank you, Linda! Oops.

1 Like

Yes! The story is fantastic. This is my first time using it. I really was impressed with how toothsome the grains were after cooking. I am looking forward to using it in a jambalaya in the near future.

2 Likes

Craved steak fajitas again last night. I have found that a marinade consisting of soy sauce, dry vermouth, Sofrito, Sazon, Adobo, fresh garlic, and black pepper works wonders. Flat iron steak used.

Bombay Martini to drink.

22 Likes

I’m sure it would also go great with your etouffe, a dish I still haven’t been able to make (I’m not worthy!).

You probably know it but there’s a cool episode on that high on the hog tv series where they go into some of the history too.

Deliciousness aside, it was initially a sort of finicky rice for me to cook in the rice cooker. I had to lower the amount of water the bag called for. I know you can do the whole cook it twice and put it in the oven with rice but i can’t really be bothered with that, tho rice and butter can be a nice match of course too. What is your rice to water ratio if you use a rice cooker?

1 Like

Speaking of rice cookers, I recently learned that I can prepare lentils in my rice cooker. They come out perfect!!
1 cup of lentils to 2.5 cups of water, add the spices you like and let the rice cooker do the rest.

4 Likes

Is it difficult to get the flavor of whatever spices you use with the lentils difficult to get rid of, for when you want to make plain rice in the cooker the next time?

I hadn’t noticed. I do put a dab of vegetable oil in the rice cooker bowl and spread it around, prior to putting in the lentils, water and spices. Perhaps that (oil) keeps the spices from becoming part of the bowl?? I also run the rice cooker bowl in the top rack of my dishwasher.

2 Likes

I did it stove top - 180 g. (about a cup) to 1.75 c. water. I toasted the grains in unsalted butter first, added about 1/2 t. kosher salt (Morton’s), and then added the water (brought to boil and then returned to a simmer). I let it go for 15 minutes at a bubbly simmer, ran a fork through it to fluff a little, covered it with a towel and the lid, and then let it sit for another 5-6 minutes on the lowest heat. It came out very good, but I think I am going to play with my ratios a scootch more (a little less water, but the same times).

And, yes, this is totally going to be used as a bed for étouffée!

3 Likes

I’m sure that effort pays off and thanks for that. I keep lowering the water too. I just can’t get it perfect in rice cooker yet. Keep up your delicious looking cooking!

I will! Thank you! And, if you crack the magic code on your end for the water to rice ratio for the rice cooker, please report back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Snowed-in…so forced to do a bit of cooking!

Decided to make one of my favourite Hong Kong cafe style comfort ‘one-dish’ meal - " Diced chicken with creamed corn sauce on rice - aka 忌廉粟米雞粒飯."

However, unlike the lazy, run-of-the-mill ‘Campbell Creamed Soup’ approach, I started off from scratch by using chicken stock, flour, butter and cream to make a Roux and Bechamel sauce. Kicked up recipe a notch by adding Shitake mushrooms and Petite Pois as extra ingredients.
Tasty, comforting, rich and decadent…requiring cholesterol reducing Crestor as dessert!!:yum::joy:

20 Likes

Barramundi filets, baked sweet potatoes and salad was tonight’s dinner

9 Likes