What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

When the seventh night of Hanukkah coincides with Xmas Eve, you gotta do the seven fishes. Octopus, calamari, shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, and striped bass.

18 Likes

Christmas (early) dinner - just my mom and me. She wanted Chinese take out, so I obliged. Fried pork and cabbage dumplings, shrimp fried rice, Kung Pao chicken, broccoli with wood ears in oyster sauce, and dry fried string beans. I made a plate up for BF’s dinner off the plane tomorrow and sent most of the rest of the leftovers home with her. Found a recipe for cupcakes for two to make for our dessert. I went in a nutty direction instead of cherry, though. Very good and probably just as well that it only made two! I swapped out the topping of just melted chocolate chips for a proper ganache. 16 g. bittersweet chocolate to 19 ml heavy cream made just enough for two cupcakes.

19 Likes

Happy Holiday to everyone. Just put the chicken on the rotisserie. Cavity stuffed with rosemary, garlic , and lemon. I will basting it with butter, a tiny bit of white wine , lemon zest . I made golden beet sous vide last night . The water bath is ready for potatoes , and carrots. In separate bags .
And I received a fabulous gift . It’s a food mill . Wow of course the potatoes will be run through it with a emence

amount of butter and a touch of half and half . Cheers

17 Likes

Looks delicious - almost like a paella? We only did 5 - striped bass from the summer catch in our freezer, shrimp, scallops, cherrystones and mussels. Ours was in a brothy cioppino accompanied by a fresh baguette.

4 Likes

One of my favorite meals: ham, mashed potatoes, roasted tomatoes and buttered peas (in this case with sautéed sliced endive). Used to make this more often when I could get ham steaks but no ham steaks around here, so now it’s a once-a-year treat with the small holiday ham I can get. Because if a ham and two people = an eternity, what is a ham and one person???

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

18 Likes

Mrs. P made me a D’artagnan double cut stuffed pork chop with apples, bacon, blue cheese, and fresh garlic among other ingredients :yum: She had steamed Costco Dungeness crabs for herself. We both had a side dish of sweet potato casserole topped with ginger snaps for some crunch. It all went great with a our favorite bourbon barreled aged red blend.

21 Likes

Hosted the annual holiday family brunch, for my family and a few friends. Bagel spread, furikake celery, spinach & beech mushroom frittata, sauteed tangerines with rosemary and olive oil, cheese, crackers, babaganoush & crudite.

20 Likes

A quiet day.
Just what I wanted.

Didn’t make any Scooby Snacks for midday noshing so I got hungry by 3 and started dinner prep.

Dinner was a top sirloin filet with cognac cream sauce (my standard for at least 10-15 years), Hasselback potatoes with olive oil, butter, s/p, freshly minced rosemary and dried thyme and chives, and steamed asparagus.

I prepped and cooked while enjoying a 2019 Stag’s Leap Katia chardonnay, and I ate dinner with my trusty Silk and Spice red blend.

Dessert was Lemon Posset with a big-ass blackberry, and some amazing Iced Hermit Bars with Candied Ginger alongside (this is a keeper recipe!).

And a toast to my Mom, Grandma, brother and stepfather for varying reasons. I felt them with me today.

I hope everyone had a happy Christmas

21 Likes

Merry Christmas. One of my favorite wines . Cheers.:wine_glass:

2 Likes

This ended up being a little dry for risotto but too soupy for paella. My instructions from Mr Bean were rice and seafood so that’s what he got. The striper was from my freezer stash, everything else from my favorite fish monger just a few blocks from the ocean.

3 Likes

Happy Holidays!
Christmas dinner was a repeat of Thanksgiving. And I still have turkey left. I couldn’t find my favorite peppermint ice cream so I made bourbon eggnog with bourbon barrel maple syrup.

21 Likes

BF made Beef Bourgignon a couple of months ago and we both thought it was “good enough to have for Christmas”. So we went the non-traditional route and he made it today. I contributed the mashed potatoes and Green Beans Almondine.

Appetizers included my famous [in my own mind] fried asparagus:

And a toasted baguette with ricotta three ways (top to bottom): honey and almonds, extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground pepper, hot honey and crushed red pepper.

IMG_20221225_153341_681

Drinks were varied. I was gifted a bottle of Bombay Sapphire (and a couple others) so I made a couple of martinis with that. BF had egg nog and beer. Mom had wine and was coaxed into a Rob Roy.

19 Likes

Christmas dinner at the Shore Club

was a success! I ordered a wedge salad to start (no photo since I forgot), a lobster mac 'n cheese as the main, and a trio of sorbets to finish (lemon, strawberry and mango.

17 Likes

Immense. Not emence . Or I should have said .PSTOB .

3 Likes

Looks absolutely delicious!!! :yum:

Farfalle with roasted cauliflower (at high heat in the oven to get a nice golden/brown surface), walnuts, parmesan and a garlic sauce (made by roasting two garlic heads at high heat in the oven and mixing it afterwards with olive oil and lemon juice)

13 Likes

In lieu of double posting:

20 Likes

You’ll be keeping away any vampires! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:(Yes, I know it mellows in the oven…)

2 Likes

Why am I still awake? :woman_facepalming:t2:

16 Likes

Same. I read in bed until 1 a.m. and woke up at 6 a.m. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes