What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

We’re a two person household, so a whole recipe was definitely in the feast category last night! We ended up eating about half. I am freezing the rest.

1 Like

Was this the shelf-stable or the refrigerated sauce?

I don’t enjoy any of the shelf-stable sauces (there’s something in there I can always taste), but I like the Maya Kaimal refrigerated sauces much more.

1 Like

This was shelf stable. I agree with you on the “taste” most of them have. I could never quite figure it out. Patak’s was the go-to for a while but they all needed a lot of doctoring and all had the same overall taste, whether it was Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken, Korma, etc. I even bought their “tandoori rub” marinade and as soon as I opened the jar, it smelled exactly like everything else they offer. Again, not bad, just meh.

I tried Aruj once, and while I like their curry powder, their jarred simmer sauce required so many modifications that in the end, I was about to say the sauce was entirely mine! Never again.

Aldi’s do not have that “taste” that Patak’s does, but they too are hard to discern from each other flavor-wise.

We’ve been doing spice packets from the Indian market the last few months but just happened to run out and I wanted to try something different. You might not find it up to par, but I was pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Keep forgetting to take pics of dinner, but I remembered tonight before digging in.

Mutton (goat) biryani, one of my 2 favorites (the other being mom’s).

Critical potato element was included today (usually it takes some negotiation to “remind” them to include the potato that’s supposed to be included, because it’s in short supply for some mysterious reason — but delicious, having soaked up all the flavors of the base).

Nothing else needed.

16 Likes

No I agree, of the jars it’s much better than the likes of Patak’s, and Brooklyn Delhi is as well.

If you have access to Costco, they have a 3-pack of the MK fresh sauces. WF used to carry pint containers, but I haven’t checked in a long time.

1 Like

Our anniversary dinner at Vernick Friday night.

Too lazy to repost it all here.

9 Likes

Happy Anniversary :champagne: :clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

Thank you.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

1 Like

Wish I was able to cook a truly good meal. However, my lower back was severely injured and I cannot stand but for about 5 minutes at a time. My left leg was also injured, and that leg keeps wanting to buckle.

5 Likes

I was able to cook a very simple meal last night. In the air fryer, I cooked a ground brisket patty and a hash brown patty. Sat down and sliced a mini cucumber and sprinkled dry ranch dressing mix on it. Even though it was so simple, it sure tasted good. Plus, it made me happy.

20 Likes

Oh, back injuries are the worst. Do you have a brace for your leg? Congratulations on your home cooked meal.

4 Likes

Came home exhausted from an insanely long Lessons and Carols service around 1pm today and decided we deserved some day drinking to celebrate our last gig of the season. Mimosas for DH, prosecco with blackcurrant and elderflower liqueurs for me, plus “snack salad” to nosh on (basically whatever salty chips, nuts, etc. we have in the house all thrown together in a bowl). Dinner will be pizza or Chinese, depending on what sounds good at ordering time. Merry merry, y’all!

24 Likes

Roasted cod spiked with chorizo, mushrooms, and tomatoes from the Le Bernardin Cookbook, baked stuffed potatoes, and salad.

24 Likes

Samosa-style baked stuffed potato (a theme??) with cilantro and pickled veg. Potato was excellent! A definite repeat. Pickled veg (new brand) inedibly salty.

15 Likes

Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast, boiled and buttered baby potatoes and carrots. Wine.

And Peanut Blossoms made for coworkers. With 3 of them withheld for my dessert tonight.

23 Likes

That’s clever! Tell us more.

3 Likes

I riffed off this recipe with a few changes: I used butter (would have used ghee but it had gone rancid (??)) instead of oil. I baked a couple of small gold potatoes and added their flesh to the russet. I did not add broth or cook the peas, I just mixed the peas in frozen which was a good call, the potato was the right consistency without added liquid and the peas were hot without being overcooked. I put the empty skins back in the oven to crisp while I made the stuffing. Next time I make them (and there will be a next time!), I will increase the aromatic veggies and spices by about 30% and add flaked almonds as well as cilantro for garnish. I cannot express how happy I am that there is another half for lunch some day this week!

ETA: if you are in a household that requires meat/fish, I think these would be great as a side with chicken or salmon, or with cooked ground lamb mixed in.

10 Likes

’ J-San Sushi & Market, Markham ’ - Becoming my go-to sushi place due to their excellent quality ingredients and hard-to-beat value!

These three, craft-your-own, made-to-order, Chirashi with superbly fresh and fine quality toppings (Uni, Botan Ebi, Ikura, Chu-Toro, Hamachi, Shima-Aji, Hokkaido Scallops, Negitoro…etc) for less than $100!! :yum::grin::ok_hand::+1:! Not bad, not bad at all!

14 Likes

I am now on day two of a two week Christmas vacation. Last night I made a fettuccine al pesto using the last bit of basil that I found in the fridge during fridge and freezer clean out yesterday. The half an avocado I had as a starter was the token vegetable. No picture to show this time.

Tonight I had rainbow trout teriyaki with stirfried veggies. I added a clove of garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil then garnished the veggies with some sesame seeds. I had a vodka martini to start and a blanc de blanc with dinner.

18 Likes