What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

@ernie_in_berkeley @ChristinaM: recipe for lemon butter chicken.
Lemon Butter Chicken

Thanks Christina, it was delicious - enjoy!

3 Likes

Ditto

2 Likes

The gyro croutons are really clever!

There’s a great scene in (I think) Margot at the Wedding, in which the groom-to-be and his future FIL have a race to see who can fill the dishwasher the fastest. At one point, someone yells “Get the schematic!” which I often think of as I’m rearranging my own dishwasher.

5 Likes

Last night I made cheeseburger mac (homemade) and honey mustard-glazed green beans. My neighbors came over and brought chicken salad salad. Random but we enjoyed (except the kids were bitter I defiled their mac and cheese with seasoned ground beef. :crazy_face:). I had to stop my friend when she went to open a third bottle of wine an hour after kid bedtime (we had already polished off two between the two of us, and the kids were still awake :laughing:).

23 Likes

One last dinner with close friends before I leave for a few weeks.

They wanted to cook Mexican (new and exciting to them, lol to me given that it’s my nephews’ #1 cuisine choice) from a cookbook series they like.

I volunteered to make apps and dessert. (Other dinner guests also brought dessert (unannounced), so we had two giant tubs of vanilla ice cream :joy:.

Apps: Mini (impossible) quiches Lorraine, Tuna spuma with pita crackers (I would have preferred breadsticks but they were out of stock).

Mains: Beef stew (not mexican, but New Mexican, lol), big salad (lettuce, pickled onions, grilled corn, tomatoes, avocado, and cotija), garlic shrimp, black beans, rice.

Dessert: French apple cake, flourless chocolate “brownie” cake (purchased), vanilla ice cream

I used some of the preserved lemons I made during the pandemic in the tuna, and it provided a lovely variation.

The mini quiches are getting closer to a texture I like – they were too muffin-y the first time, softer yesterday. I’m going to play with the proportions and baking temp and time to get to what I’d like them to be.

Pics only of what I made.

23 Likes

Can definitely relate to the dishwasher loading convo. I can get an amazing amount of stuff into DW, and not only that, rarely have any rejects due to stuff nestled together, etc that don’t come clean. Was proud of my abilities, bragging rights you know. And always used to rearrange other’s loading “help.” Which did indeed annoy some. Anyway, since H has kind of taken over the kitchen in many ways, he always rearranges my work, which I find to be amusing. His reject rate is quite high…I don’t say a word, just put them in the sink for a rewash. Now he does it all the time, so I unload - total role reversal. Ok since I got tired of the loading. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Trout burgers with herb aioli, roasted green beans, and mushrooms. Very good! We will be repeating tomorrow.

25 Likes

Dang! Those trout burgers! Get into my mouf :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

2 Likes

The recipe is a keeper! Comes together in a FP pretty quick, too.

2 Likes

Pulled pork on potato rolls, cole slaw, Italian beans, and home-cut sweet potato fries.

There’s still more pork. Sigh.

25 Likes

Thank you, but it’s just semantics. I took a gyro loaf and cut it into cubes and browned those.

1 Like

I was craving chicken and sun-dried tomatoes today, and having plenty of spinach on hand worked in my favor for a quick dinner with a few modifications to my taste. (Print version to get past the pop-up ads)

There was wine.

19 Likes

Fresh fish on the menu. Inclement weather kept most of the boats at bay, and hardly any customers on Johnson Pier in Half Moon Bay. The sign board listed 5 active boats, offering rockfish, halibuts, sand dabs, kingfish and rock crabs (Dungeness no go until January).

I was ready for some crab, fresh out of the water rock crab works, sometimes. I’ve always fancied the sand dabs at Tadich, and @damiano recent writeup made my dinner decision for me. The Sea Hunter it is.

Fresh out of the bay, sand dabs, halibut and rock sole. $4/lb, if you don’t mind a little cutting and trimming.

We asked for a couple of dozen, and notice a bycatch in the mix. Fisherman advised it was a “pompano” and has customers snatching all he can offer. Looked more like a member of the mackerel
family to me, but looked delicious.

Dabs are in the air fryer, waiting to be finish with black pepper and butter. Will pair with a green salad and maybe a side of spaghetti/meat balls. Won’t be too pretty, so will refrain on dinner photo.

24 Likes

Please photos! Food is never ugly!

5 Likes

After last night’s decadent pasta meal I was craving something slightly healthier in general, and bok choy in particular. Luckily, we had a buncha bok choy left from our recent hot pot meal. Picked up some BISO chickie thighs for TCC. Boom: dinnah.

The dipping sauce was xxxtra spicy this time around, with habanero sauce and Adli’s yellow habanero paste. Shweaty eyebrows & scalp FTW :hot_face: :yum:

22 Likes

Beef chow mein and spicy green beans. Finally a warm meal!

23 Likes

Pork fried rice

20 Likes

Since I’ll be in public, had to brush my hair and trowl on some makeup. :slight_smile:

Hybrid (mutant) piccata working in the background. My fish meister (wife) plated the good looking specimens for my pics. No worries, she’s happy as a bivalve working on her heaping platter of fresh not so pretty dabs.

Happy dinners all.

25 Likes

Nice! I l love sand dabs. I don’t see them too often where I live.

2 Likes