What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

It has been unusually cold & rainy here, so Beef Stew sounded good & I had everything in the freezer/pantry. Used an Instant Pot recipe from Jeffrey Eisner. Couple of small tweeks, very yummy dinner, DH loved it too. Whats cool to me is a 3 lb boneless chuck roast plus the veggies made enough for about 6 meals & we are big eaters! :yum: Again, not the best photo, there was way more beef in this bowl…

19 Likes

That was my touch. Thanks for noticing :joy:

5 Likes

That’s cool tip! I sometimes will just barely warm garlic in the olive oil to start, if I remember to plan ahead.

1 Like

I think I have it somewhere. I’ll work on this!

1 Like

As a fellow Bay Area person, I’m curious to know where you bought your Tasso ham. Thanks!

1 Like

Our friends invited us to their annual Christmas party that was held in old school Italian restaurant Parkside Restaurant, in the Marilyn Monroe room. They had live entertainment and some great food including a juicy pork chop with spicy vinegar peppers; lobster tails oreganata; zuppa di clams; baked clams; eggplant rolatini; mozarella in corrozza; fried calamari; salumi; bruschetta; and Italian ice for dessert (for me).

18 Likes

Chicken Fajitas last night. Had a long day so used a skillet sauce by Frontera to add to the pan when all was done cooking. It was actually very good.

Tonight’s dinner is in the slow cooker: brisket with a bottle of beer and some other stuff.

23 Likes

from the now-closed Golden Gate Meat Company in the Ferry Bldg., sadly! I had it in the freezer from a couple of months ago. But Fatted Calf has moved into their space, maybe they’ll have it sometime…?

2 Likes

Cheeborger night @casa lingua yesterday: Aldi’s 75/15 Wagyu ground pan-fried to MR, havarti & sharp 'murrcan, mayo, ketchup, pickle, and a thick slice of red onion (no reasonable lettuce in the house - didn’t really miss it). L&W fries baked TO PERFECTION :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: but srsly the perfect amount of crisp outside & fluff inside with kewpie & moar ketchup.

Oh, and more of my PIC’s incredible spekuloos / bourbon / vanilla / chopped pecans ice cream, topped with a blackberry sauce I whipped up. Fab combo :heart_eyes:

22 Likes

That does sound fab. Would love to hear more about the ice cream and blackberry sauce, though it is a chilly time of year here.

Here ya go: https://www.seriouseats.com/biscoff-ice-cream-recipe

The toasted pecans was our riff, bc I loves me some nutz in my ice cream :slight_smile:

The blackberry sauce was just a small package of berries heated up in a sauce pan, a healthy splash of port, and some sugar. I smooshed the berries with a potato masher & let it reduce on MED-HI for quite a while. I didn’t strain the resulting sauce, as the berries made up a large part of it. It was something I didn’t put much thought into & just whipped up. You could also use blueberries or strawberries.

5 Likes

Sole with artichokes and pink peppercorns from the Le Bernardin Cookbook by Eric Ripert and Maguy Le Coze.

24 Likes

Another delicious dinner courtesy of the farm. Handmade rigatoni with sausage sugo. It would have been prettier with grated cheese or chopped parsley but I didn’t have the energy and it was a flavor bomb as is. Unpictured repeat of mixed chicories salad with mustard vinaigrette.

25 Likes

Oooh.

1 Like

How did you make them - pasta machine ? and what kind of dough. We are trying sometimes working on easier pasta like lasagna sheets etc but would like to tackle also things like rigatoni

I have no idea. I am fortunate to have it available from the farm. They make different shapes but rigatoni is a regular offering so it can’t be too labor-intensive.

2 Likes

We made crabcakes on toasted brioche buns with lemony Old Bay remoulade and steamed broccoli. Bagged low-fat “Caesar” salad that mostly went into the trash. Yuck.

22 Likes

The neighbor kids came over to help demolish it.

24 Likes

Eight hour slow cooker brisket in a Budweiser and onion gravy (old family recipe), toasted seeded Kaiser roll with garlic, butter, and parsley, and a side of German potato salad. I don’t have to tell you how good this was.

As today was Prohibition Repeal Day, I sipped on a Martinez, a cousin of the Martini. And another. Then again, every day could be Prohibition Repeal Day in this house. :rofl:

28 Likes

BF made turkey pot pie with the last of the bird - THANK GOODNESS. store-bought crusts, homemade stock, frozen veggies. not much to look at (it fell apart on serving) but very tasty, we each had seconds. and the last of the cranberry too!

24 Likes