What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Indeed :joy:

1 Like

Why odd? It’s certainly possible to eat whatever you want by managing portion size, even if “dieting”.

Yes, there was salad and there were vegetables and there was milk and protein shake later for the vegetarians.

But it’s a strange thing to be judgmental about.

9 Likes

This was really nice. I like the traditional cream-and-butter versions, of course, but this was a nice change and much lighter. I don’t think the leftovers will last long.

1 Like

That is a lot of yuzu kosho in that recipe! Well, I need to buy more now anyway…:smiley: Thanks!

1 Like

That curry looks gorgeous. It’s much darker than the one I make at home but I think it makes it look really nice and rich actually.

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was a chilled soba noodle salad from Cooks Illustrated. I haven’t made this dish in awhile and it really hit the spot.

15 Likes

Looks refreshing!
What all is there other than the soba? Sesame seeds I can see. What else?

It was a good day. Despite waking up to 31° temps this morning, I love having 60° weather at the end of October, especially on the weekend.

Decided on Lamb Bolognese after @linguafood mentioned it on one our mutual food boards using ground lamb last week.

Went with this recipe, and I even included anchovy paste (instead of whole anchovies). The food processor method gets the carrots, onion, and garlic all smushy and finely minced. Perfect for this recipe.

I used Aleppo pepper in place of the RPF, and some Silk & Spice red blend from World Market. But any medium-bodied red will do.

Served on pappardelle. Also minced up some fresh parsley as (1) I didn’t have fresh basil and (2) basil didn’t seem right with the lamb. And I considered the carrots, onions and parsley the veg for tonight’s meal. :wink:

This was SERIOUSLY good!

Wine as the side dish. And goodies from my workplace’s Reverse Trick or Treat on Friday as dessert, as many participated and I have some chocolate to get through. Poor me. :grin:

20 Likes

Lamb here tonight too - cumin lamb stir fry with fried tofu cubes, leeks, assorted sad peppers from my final garden harvest, peanuts, and lots of spicy things thrown together with the lamb juices to make a sauce - sambal oelek, Sriracha and chili crisp, plus cumin, soy sauce and rice vinegar. A winner!

16 Likes

New England style shrimp and salmon chowder. There were some homemade crackers to go with.

Shrimp caught here locally. Alaskan sockeye salmon. Potatoes, onions, shallots, chives and bay from the garden.

19 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Bistro D’Azur including venison with red cabbage and spaetzle; duck leg confit salad; whole branzino; butternut squash risotto; and Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and Chateauneuf Du Pape.

11 Likes

Made chicken stock today, and found some beans in the freezer, so decided on tortilla soup, since we had all else. It checked the right boxes for tonight.

20 Likes

Still relatively MIA. Hopefully not for long-- October is almost over. Had to attend an event after work tonight so I went shopping this morning. Found a pack of two filet mignon which added up to 8 oz, which is a serving I aim for. I was dining solo, which has always been my chance to indulge in chunks of flesh. I gave it the “standard” treatment. Its a first for me despite it being all everyone does on social media. Cooked rare. Baked potato and mushrooms on the side. Manhattan to drink.

25 Likes

Chili con carne with red kidney beans and green peppers - made with onions, garlic, ground beef, tomatoes, lard and spice mix of ancho chili, sirarakhong chili, cumin, basil, bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves. Served with sour cream

13 Likes

The dressing consisted of evoo, soy sauce, mirin, grated ginger, and wasabi powder. They were garnished with nori, bonito flakes and sesame seeds. The white discs are sliced daikon.

3 Likes

That lamb bolognese is going on my list @linguafood and @LindaWhit!!

Salmon roasted low and slow with butter, lemon, soy. Jasmine rice with lots of furikake which counted as the veg on a lazy night.

Business trip to LA (Santa Monica) next week - first travel since my early pandemic escape from AZ to Maine.

20 Likes

Safe travels!

3 Likes

Signing up for lobster special texts is a dangerous thing. $6.95/lb culls special. So I had to buy 10, for two people. Lobster rolls for lunch.

20 Likes

All looks amazing!

1 Like

Fortunately, we both enjoy beef and DH accommodates my preference for medium not rare and starts starts mine before he cooks the bloody his. Marriage is a compromise. We’ve been negotiating for 44 years…

9 Likes