What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

I met my old high school friend for dinner tonight and she picked Outback Steak House. I was… not chuffed, to say the least, but I ordered wisely and didn’t hate my meal: a 6 oz sirloin medium-rare, with a side of broccoli. The steak was honestly perfectly cooked and very tasty, still very hot when it got to me (a pet peeve), and the broccoli was very well-cooked, which is just how I like it. I think I was more surprised by the broccoli than I was by the tasty steak! I literally cannot remember ever having well-cooked broccoli at any restaurant in the US; the only time in my life in which I was persistently served lovely, soft, unctuous veg of any kind was during a visit to Italy. In the States, we’re still in this crisp-tender phase, which usually for broccoli means it’s hot, bright green, but essentially raw.

10 Likes

6 Likes

I had an Old Fashioned, my first ever. I wonder why I never had one before, it was very good. Dinner was seasoned chicken thigh fried in duck fat, gravy, succotash-ish tiny orka, corn, red baby bell and onion. Salad of mixed greens, green onion, tomato, avocado, ranch dressing. There was also wine.

21 Likes

Chicken and veg stir-fry. Steamed rice.

Cabbage, carrots and scallions from the garden.

17 Likes

Really nice . I may make a cuiche this week .

1 Like

Moussaka (eggplant, potato, beef, béchamel)

15 Likes

maybe some acid? lemon juice?

That’s a good call @sallyt .

I went and looked at their listed ingredients, and white wine was listed first, which of course is also acidic.

Duh - acid is usually my first thought when something is missing!

3 Likes

Cantonese white-cut chicken, rice cooked in the poaching stock, scallion-ginger sauce, and green beans for dinner tonight. Started with some of the chicken broth first, amazing how flavorful it is.

Last night I met a friend for a glass of wine, but then we gor so engrossed in talking that we forgot to order food. So I came home and had a smoked salmon sandwich, which was lovely (butter on one slice, scallion cream cheese on the other).

A few nights ago: middle eastern kababs, spinach borani, toum, and pocketless pita (my favorite kind because they are so soft).

Also a 7-minute egg, kisr, pita, borani.

25 Likes

Pa Dutch food at its best: ham, string beans and potatoes.

20 Likes

Mushroom quesadillas on corn tortillas, beans, rice, and veg.

19 Likes

Lentil soup with bacon, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, parsley and balsamic vinegar - 1/3 puréed to get the right creamy consistency

17 Likes

Blowfish tails (better this time, 'cause I filleted them), string beans and thyme (both home-grown), half a mushroom knish (made by Yonah Schimmel).

15 Likes

Was gonna roast two beautiful Cornish game hens from a local farm, but then my keyboarder asked to join him and his betrothed to watch “Everything Everywhere All At Once” at the local theatre instead.

Popcorn (at least it was freshly made) was my app, and prettttty mediocre “Kässpätzle” from the local Aldi. Cannot recommend.

But I’m now even more excited about tonight’s meal :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Last night’s dinner started with sliced tomato and avocado then fettucine with scallops and leeks.

17 Likes

I’ve thought to ask you this a dozen times. Is it anything like A1? That’s the only “steak sauce” I’ve ever tried.

1 Like

Laughing and slightly jealous, since I’ve lucky if I get anyone in my family to watch one move a year with me! Re scary movies if you haven’t seen them yet, Shyamalan’s The Visit scared the crap out of me. The Village was also good.

1 Like

I’m on the same page as you. Get those green Brillo pads away from me.

2 Likes

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: I think of you as such a cocktail afficionado!

1 Like

I made Thai chu chee fish curry tonight, but with miso added as per this recipe:

I added fresh ginger, garlic, onion, and shallot as well as sweet potato and carrots from our farm share. Fish was walleye caught by FIL this spring.

Cucumber and CSA radish salad for the side.

19 Likes