What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

I made a poblano chile relleno bake that was a bit of a fail, and a bacon/ leek/ carrot/ beet borscht which turned out well. The photo isn’t worth posting.

7 Likes

Finished product. Beef Bourgignon.

Grey Goose martini keeping with the French theme.

28 Likes

Happy Diwali! Love everything you said. And that lovely printed menu!

But also - I need to know more about your gulab jamun cake truffles (which I did sort-of attempt last year but just for myself, lol).

Here is the guidance for the truffles.

I skipped the crushed pistachios because of my daughter’s allergy. So ours just had a thin coating of white chocolate. They are really yummy.

Last year I made the gulab jamun cake, but the truffles were a bigger hit.

4 Likes

I saw this on IG - good to know it was a hit! Will try.

I made mawa cake last year, and used trimmings for truffles. I liked the cake better than the truffles then.

We are in full Diwali mode.

Had a big dinner with another family last night, and just our family dinner tonight for the actual holiday.

In two days (tomorrow is a day off because of the solar eclipse) we’ll have the last of the series, for new year and the 2nd day together (which is a brother-sister holiday, sort of the inverse of another one that occurs over summer).

Last night’s menu:
Samosas
Paneer tikka
Lamb chops

Okra
Cauliflower and potatoes
Paneer tikka masala
Whole masoor dal
Lamb with beets
Fish tikka
Rice
Naan

Rasmalai
Indian mithai (kaju and badam katli / cashew and almond fudge)
Pumpkin spice bundt cake (a strange annual tradition that came about with this family)

Tonight’s menu:

Bhajiya (like tempura but with gram flour) - potato, onion, serrano chilli for a brave teenager
Puris
Rice (just for me)
Dry potato bhaji
Saucy potato bhaji
Chhole (chickpeas)
Shrikhand (sweet yogurt)
Rava sheera
Wheat sheera
Gulab jamun

We obviously couldn’t eat everything — people picked what they love most, the rest can be eaten another day.

We also ate all the bhajiyas before we sat down for dinner (because we fried those first, then the puris so they’d be hot for dinner, and ain’t nobody leaving hot bhajiyas to get cold, including the babysitter who hung out for a while after she was done to eat them with us…)

26 Likes

Oh No! I’ve resigned myself to thinking everyone is going to get it eventually. So far I’ve been lucky (or in denial). Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

1 Like

Kielbasa, sauerkraut and Dijon mustard on seeded sourdough rye. Delicious! Everything but mustard made locally.

20 Likes

Yuzu kosho glazed shrimp and egg fried rice from Roy Choi’s LA Son. I had made this before and wanted a little more oomph in the glaze, so I increased the orange and lime juice (and seasoned with a little soy sauce that wasn’t called for), left the water out, and added some zest from both fruits too. I reduced everything by half before tossing the mostly cooked shrimp with it. Seemed to do the trick.

We had it with some broccoli and cauliflower mix.

21 Likes

Don’t resign yourself - stay vigilant! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
and thank you…

2 Likes

that looks scrumptious.

oh my! i never think of making a sausage sandwich (other than on a roll of some sort and a lot of sauce.) i love this idea!

3 Likes

beautiful puris! the BF would be jealous at how puffy you get them. :slightly_smiling_face:

Happy Diwali!

1 Like

that is just lovely!

gah i’m dying for a martini. i brought back some Spanish gin and can’t wait to have it.
Eff Covid!
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you!

how great that your kids appreciate the tradition!
and those puri chat - yum, drool-worthy!

Happy Diwali!

1 Like

Nice countertop… Tile work looks great. I’ve always been a fan of white tile with black grout – very clean look!!

That sounds great.

1 Like

Happy Diwali to all who celebrate!

Tonight I made stewed chicken (Gregory Williams - Food & Wine) over converted rice with honey-mustard glazed carrots and cucumbers in dill vinaigrette. The chicken dish was very tasty and hearty. I doubled the chicken and there was still too much sauce, so I’d reduce it by half and cut back a little on the flour and butter next time.

I can’t find the recipe anywhere online, but here is the ingredient list from the magazine:

½ cup butter

2 chicken leg quarters, split

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup flour

1 yellow onion, chopped

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup chopped celery

Cooked rice for serving

Garnish: Green onions (oops - forgot)

I seasoned the chicken with Lawry’s seasoned salt as well and added a bay leaf. The recipe has you separately toast the flour in a dry pan until a rich brown, then add it to a large skillet with celery and onion sweat in the butter and chicken drippings from browning the pieces first.

17 Likes

It’s taco Tuesday. Seasoned ground beef/pork, onions, poblano pepper, pico de gallo, cheddar cheese. Doctored canned black beans with more poblano peppers, red pepper, onion, garlic, sazon. Sliced avocado.

20 Likes